robohobbit

Does Evasion Sigil need errata?

Warning: boring discussion of rules semantics ahead.  💤

The text on Evasion Sigil is

Before a creature fights, discard the top card of its controller's deck. If the discarded card is of the active house, exhaust that creature with no effect.

That seems easy to understand, but does it also affect defending creatures?  That is, creatures targeted by an attacking creature.  The glossary entry under Fight reads:

When a player uses a creature to fight, the player exhausts the creature and chooses an opponent’s creature. Both creatures deal an amount of damage equal to their power value to the opposing creature in the fight, and both are “fighting” for the purposes of card effects.

(emphasis mine)

So under the rules as written both creatures "are fighting".  Does the defending creature trigger Evasion Sigil?  Technically I think it does, but I don't think it is supposed to.  If the intent was for only the attacking creature to trigger Evasion Sigil then maybe it should read "Before a creature is used to fight..."  Am I wrong in my interpretation of the card or the rules?

1 hour ago, robohobbit said:

So under the rules as written both creatures "are fighting".  Does the defending creature trigger Evasion Sigil?  Technically I think it does, but I don't think it is supposed to.  If the intent was for only the attacking creature to trigger Evasion Sigil then maybe it should read "Before a creature is used to fight..."  Am I wrong in my interpretation of the card or the rules?

The defending creature doesn't trigger Evasion Sigil, as the defending creature doesn't get exhausted when it would fight normally, only the attacking creature. While both creatures are "fighting", only one creature ("attacker") is subject to the Evasion Sigil's effect. 

Just for clarity the reason it doesn’t need to be erratad is because while both are “fighting” only one is using the “fight” action. So when evasion seal says “before a creature fights” its referring specifically the “fight” action which the defending creature has not taken.