Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SavageBob

Some Weapon Attachments for Modern Settings (Feedback Welcome!)

Recommended Posts

I'm working on a 1930s noir-detective setting, so I've been doing some research on the kinds of weapons available at that time. I've come across several weapon customizations that I think would make fun weapon attachments, but I'd love feedback on their game effects, required hard points, etc. I still haven't put price tags on these things yet, but that will come.

Brass Catcher

Gun enthusiasts sometimes attach a simple bag or receptacle to the ejection port of a firearm to collect spent casings. At the shooting range, this practice speeds cleanup and allows casings to be refilled. However, at a crime scene, using a brass catcher makes the work of forensic ballistics analysis harder by keeping the crime scene clear of what would otherwise be evidence that could identify the weapon that committed a crime.

Use With: This attachment can be used with any ranged weapon that expels spent casings (most pistols, rifles, shotguns, submachine guns, and machine guns).

Modifiers: When your character uses a weapon fitted with a brass catcher in a scene, other characters add Setback Setback to Perception and Knowledge (Science) checks made to both locate and analyze ballistic evidence related to the use of the weapon during that scene.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Essentially, same game effects as a silencer, but applies after the fact.]

 

Elegant Customization

In some circles, a handgun inlaid with pearl, ivory, or other precious materials can turn heads, and a rifle with a stock made from polished wood can leave an impression.

Use With: This attachment is available for any weapon.

Modifiers: Your character adds Boost to all Charm, Deception, Leadership, and Negotiation checks they make when the weapon is visible to the target. This bonus only applies in situations where having the weapon visible would be socially acceptable (e.g., on a hunt, at a card game with mobsters, at a shooting range). Otherwise, flaunting the weapon has the same negative effect on social interactions as it would without the elegant customization.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Inspiration here from the various diplomat's robes and so on in Star Wars. Would it be better if it added an auto-success or auto-advantage to the social check?]

 

Extended Magazine

In a firefight, the last thing a gunman wants is to run out of ammo. Extended magazines provide more bullets but also add to overall bulk. These magazines come in different shapes and sizes depending on the weapon they attach to, from a longer magazine for a pistol or machine gun, to a large drum for a Tommy gun. 

Use With: This attachment is available for pistols, submachine guns, machine guns, and rifles.

Modifiers: While your character is using this weapon, the GM must spend at least Despair Despair to cause it to run out of ammunition. The attachment also increases the weapon's Encumbrance by 1. Anyone searching your character adds 1 boost to Perception checks they make to find a weapon with this attachment.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Essentially an extra clip that is always engaged with your weapon, hence the double Despair requirement.]

 

Forearm Grip

By adding a handgrip under the barrel of a rifle, the user can better handle the weapon in tight quarters.

Use With: Any rifle weapon can have a forearm grip.

Modifiers: Decreases the additional difficulty added to Ranged (Heavy) checks at engaged range with the weapon from (PP) to (P).

Hard Points Required: 1.

[This is a direct port from Star Wars. Can other guns have forearm grips added in this way?]

 

Lanyard

Dropping a weapon can spell disaster in a combat situation. Fortunately, by attaching a cord to the weapon and to the user's belt or neck, the wearer can quickly retrieve a dropped weapon and continue the fight.

Use With: You can use this attachment with any weapon.

Modifiers: During your character's turn, you may retrieve a dropped weapon as an incidental as long as you are engaged with it.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Adaptation of the magnetic weapon tether in Star Wars.]

 

Pintle Mount

When gunplay and high-speed chases come together, mounting a large weapon directly onto a vehicle offers more stability. Police departments often use such mounts to attach guns to motorcycle sidecars, for instance.

Use With: A pintle mount may be used with any weapon that is fired with the Ranged (Heavy) or Gunnery skill.

Modifiers: A weapon on a pintle mount reduces its Cumbersome or Unwieldy rating by 3, to a minimum of 0. It reduces its encumbrance by 4, to a minimum of 0. The weapon may not be moved except to pivot on its pintle after it has been attached. When firing a pintle-mounted weapon from a moving vehicle, your character suffers no penalties due to the vehicle's speed, but the GM may still impose Setbacks for environmental factors, such as poor road conditions. Removing a weapon from a pintle mount requires two Preparation maneuvers.

Hard Points Required: 2.

[Mechanically, this is a tripod mount that attaches the weapon to a vehicle instead of a separate tripod.]

 

Pistol Grip

This modification changes the way a gun is held to better match smaller arms, such as pistols and revolvers. When applied to shotguns and other large weapons, this modification allows the gun to be fired one handed.

Use With: Any Ranged (Heavy) weapon that does not have the Cumbersome quality.

Modifiers: Your character must now use the Ranged (Light) skill to fire the weapon instead of Ranged (Heavy). However, they must add Setback to combat checks with this weapon, and the weapon's range is reduced to medium if it was longer before.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Direct port from Star Wars.]

 

Shoulder Stock

Attaching a stock to the rear of a handgun allows the firer to brace the weapon against a shoulder and stabilizes the weapon. This modification makes the weapon more accurate, but also bulkier and harder to carry.

Modifiers: Grants the weapon the Accurate 1 quality, or increases the Accurate quality by 1. The weapon's Encumbrance goes up by 1, as well. A shoulder stock removes any bonuses to hide the weapon and adds Boost to Perception checks to spot it instead.

Use With: This attachment can be used with pistols, revolvers, and submachine guns.

Hard Points Required: 1.

 

Sleeve Holster

This mechanism lets the user hide a small weapon up their sleeve at the end of a spring-loaded bar. By activating a lever at the elbow, the user sends the weapon forward and into their hand.

Use With: This attachment can be used with any weapon of Encumbrance 1 or less except for weapons that must be thrown.

Modifiers: Your character may ready the weapon as an incidental rather than a maneuver. However, anyone searching you adds Boost to their Perception check to find the weapon while this attachment is in use.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Think Taxi Driver, although they had these in the Old West, as well.]

 

Sound Suppressor

Sound suppressors, also known as silencers, make firearms more difficult to detect when fired. However, they slow the speed of the bullets and reduce the damage dealt.

Use With: Any weapon that fires bullets can use a sound suppressor.

Modifiers: When you fire your weapon, other character add Setback Setback to Perception and Vigilance checks to locate you based on the sound of your weapon.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Direct port from Star Wars.]

Edited by SavageBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have some nice ideas here. My own home-brewed setting (still evolving in it's hard-boiled noir meets light Lovcraftian mystery), has a base setting of 1920's, Gangland Chicago. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at these. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, QorDaq said:

You have some nice ideas here. My own home-brewed setting (still evolving in it's hard-boiled noir meets light Lovcraftian mystery), has a base setting of 1920's, Gangland Chicago. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at these. Thank you.

:D My setting is essentially what you describe, just advanced up a decade. Not everything will be Lovecraftian, but it's basically The X-Files in the '30s. I'm happy to share other things I come up with as I develop them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, SavageBob said:

I'm working on a 1930s noir-detective setting, so I've been doing some research on the kinds of weapons available at that time. I've come across several weapon customizations that I think would make fun weapon attachments, but I'd love feedback on their game effects, required hard points, etc. I still haven't put price tags on these things yet, but that will come.

Brass Catcher

Gun enthusiasts sometimes attach a simple bag or receptacle to the ejection port of a firearm to collect spent casings. At the shooting range, this practice speeds cleanup and allows casings to be refilled. However, at a crime scene, using a brass catcher makes the work of forensic ballistics analysis harder by keeping the crime scene clear of what would otherwise be evidence that could identify the weapon that committed a crime.

Use With: This attachment can be used with any ranged weapon that expels spent casings (most pistols, rifles, shotguns, submachine guns, and machine guns).

Modifiers: When your character uses a weapon fitted with a brass catcher in a scene, other characters add Setback Setback to Perception and Knowledge (Science) checks made to both locate and analyze ballistic evidence related to the use of the weapon during that scene.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Essentially, same game effects as a silencer, but applies after the fact.]

 

Elegant Customization

In some circles, a handgun inlaid with pearl, ivory, or other precious materials can turn heads, and a rifle with a stock made from polished wood can leave an impression.

Use With: This attachment is available for any weapon.

Modifiers: Your character adds Boost to all Charm, Deception, Leadership, and Negotiation checks they make when the weapon is visible to the target. This bonus only applies in situations where having the weapon visible would be socially acceptable (e.g., on a hunt, at a card game with mobsters, at a shooting range). Otherwise, flaunting the weapon has the same negative effect on social interactions as it would without the elegant customization.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Inspiration here from the various diplomat's robes and so on in Star Wars. Would it be better if it added an auto-success or auto-advantage to the social check?]

 

Extended Magazine

In a firefight, the last thing a gunman wants is to run out of ammo. Extended magazines provide more bullets but also add to overall bulk. These magazines come in different shapes and sizes depending on the weapon they attach to, from a longer magazine for a pistol or machine gun, to a large drum for a Tommy gun. 

Use With: This attachment is available for pistols, submachine guns, machine guns, and rifles.

Modifiers: While your character is using this weapon, the GM must spend at least Despair Despair to cause it to run out of ammunition. The attachment also increases the weapon's Encumbrance by 1. Anyone searching your character adds 1 boost to Perception checks they make to find a weapon with this attachment.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Essentially an extra clip that is always engaged with your weapon, hence the double Despair requirement.]

 

Forearm Grip

By adding a handgrip under the barrel of a rifle, the user can better handle the weapon in tight quarters.

Use With: Any rifle weapon can have a forearm grip.

Modifiers: Decreases the additional difficulty added to Ranged (Heavy) checks at engaged range with the weapon from (PP) to (P).

Hard Points Required: 1.

[This is a direct port from Star Wars. Can other guns have forearm grips added in this way?]

 

Lanyard

Dropping a weapon can spell disaster in a combat situation. Fortunately, by attaching a cord to the weapon and to the user's belt or neck, the wearer can quickly retrieve a dropped weapon and continue the fight.

Use With: You can use this attachment with any weapon.

Modifiers: During your character's turn, you may retrieve a dropped weapon as an incidental as long as you are engaged with it.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Adaptation of the magnetic weapon tether in Star Wars.]

 

Pintle Mount

When gunplay and high-speed chases come together, mounting a large weapon directly onto a vehicle offers more stability. Police departments often use such mounts to attach guns to motorcycle sidecars, for instance.

Use With: A pintle mount may be used with any weapon that is fired with the Ranged (Heavy) or Gunnery skill.

Modifiers: A weapon on a pintle mount reduces its Cumbersome or Unwieldy rating by 3, to a minimum of 0. It reduces its encumbrance by 4, to a minimum of 0. The weapon may not be moved except to pivot on its pintle after it has been attached. When firing a pintle-mounted weapon from a moving vehicle, your character suffers no penalties due to the vehicle's speed, but the GM may still impose Setbacks for environmental factors, such as poor road conditions. Removing a weapon from a pintle mount requires two Preparation maneuvers.

Hard Points Required: 2.

[Mechanically, this is a tripod mount that attaches the weapon to a vehicle instead of a separate tripod.]

 

Pistol Grip

This modification changes the way a gun is held to better match smaller arms, such as pistols and revolvers. When applied to shotguns and other large weapons, this modification allows the gun to be fired one handed.

Use With: Any Ranged (Heavy) weapon that does not have the Cumbersome quality.

Modifiers: Your character must now use the Ranged (Light) skill to fire the weapon instead of Ranged (Heavy). However, they must add Setback to combat checks with this weapon, and the weapon's range is reduced to medium if it was longer before.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Direct port from Star Wars.]

 

Shoulder Stock

Attaching a stock to the rear of a handgun allows the firer to brace the weapon against a shoulder and stabilizes the weapon. This modification makes the weapon more accurate, but also bulkier and harder to carry.

Modifiers: Grants the weapon the Accurate 1 quality, or increases the Accurate quality by 1. The weapon's Encumbrance goes up by 1, as well. A shoulder stock removes any bonuses to hide the weapon and adds Boost to Perception checks to spot it instead.

Use With: This attachment can be used with pistols, revolvers, and submachine guns.

Hard Points Required: 1.

 

Sleeve Holster

This mechanism lets the user hide a small weapon up their sleeve at the end of a spring-loaded bar. By activating a lever at the elbow, the user sends the weapon forward and into their hand.

Use With: This attachment can be used with any weapon of Encumbrance 1 or less except for weapons that must be thrown.

Modifiers: Your character may ready the weapon as an incidental rather than a maneuver. However, anyone searching you adds Boost to their Perception check to find the weapon while this attachment is in use.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Think Taxi Driver, although they had these in the Old West, as well.]

 

Sound Suppressor

Sound suppressors, also known as silencers, make firearms more difficult to detect when fired. However, they slow the speed of the bullets and reduce the damage dealt.

Use With: Any weapon that fires bullets can use a sound suppressor.

Modifiers: When you fire your weapon, other character add Setback Setback to Perception and Vigilance checks to locate you based on the sound of your weapon.

Hard Points Required: 1.

[Direct port from Star Wars.]

I feel like the Brass Catcher is really odd, but meh okay. Ballistics can check the bullets found on scene to tell what kind of ammunition was used. Also--any criminal worth a darn would drop the weapon of a crime into a lake or melt it down--or for pistols simply change the barrel and bam--can't compare it anymore! 

 

The Sleeve Holster should be a piece of equipment, not a modification IMO. Its basically a Sling (quick draw for free once per round) but for a pistol. 

 

The other stuff looks good, though the shoulder stock could simply be made into a scope or improved sight to gain Accurate 1 without having to worry about adjusting Encumbrance or dealing with spotting their weapon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shamp said:

I feel like the Brass Catcher is really odd, but meh okay. Ballistics can check the bullets found on scene to tell what kind of ammunition was used. Also--any criminal worth a darn would drop the weapon of a crime into a lake or melt it down--or for pistols simply change the barrel and bam--can't compare it anymore! 

 

The Sleeve Holster should be a piece of equipment, not a modification IMO. Its basically a Sling (quick draw for free once per round) but for a pistol. 

 

The other stuff looks good, though the shoulder stock could simply be made into a scope or improved sight to gain Accurate 1 without having to worry about adjusting Encumbrance or dealing with spotting their weapon. 

Thanks for the ideas! I have to admit I'm fascinated by brass catchers, as they seem so niche, but are so fun for detective scenarios. Apparently a brass catcher can also be useful when paired with a silencer, since you don't want the noise of metal hitting the ground to give you away. They also capture some of the gunpowder residue (the silencer will capture the rest), keeping it off the shooter's hands and gloves. I may need to add a line about this benefit to the Modifiers section.

I've done a bit of poking in forensics literature regarding the ballistics stuff, and it seems that not having access to the shells does hamstring ballistics analysis to some degree. For one, it's much easier to spot casings than bullets unless there are obvious signs of impact, like bullet holes. (Even then, if the bullet has shot through a wall and out into a field or something, you may never recover it.) Beyond that, not having shells deprives you of information that's not on the bullet itself, like extractor marks, ejector marks, fire pin markings, and breech face markings. I get you about dropping the gun, though. Maybe it's most useful for situations where you capture the perpetrator early in the investigation and need another piece of evidence to pin the crime on him? I suppose it might also help trace where the gun was bought, but that would suggest the purchase was legal. All in all, I think it's an attachment that wouldn't see much use by PCs, but it would be fun to give to a Nemesis or his Rival crony.

I can totally see the sleeve holster being a piece of gear. I think the analog might be something like the concealment holster in the Star Wars RPG. That makes sense, so I think I'll make that change.

I agree that the shoulder stock may not be as effective as a sight, but presumably an HP 2 weapon could have both to get +2 Accuracy, which is nice in some situations.

Edited by SavageBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×