Sign in to follow this  
Bakura83

Clan Spirit in L5R...

So I see/here people talk about their clan in terms of “we did, we decided, they cheated us, they betrayed us” etc, as if there is a larger community meta going on beyond the literal events stores run.

As a very new player, I’m curious, is there an social “hub” beyond these forums that crab (for example) players come together on and discuss/decide the story direction of a clan, or is it literally just random Joe Bloggs wins tournament X and gets to make story decisions as part of their prize, or is there a semi-pro “elite” who always end up at the top level tournaments and are their own sort of community unto themselves?

Has anyone ever tried to organise on a clan level and actually take a general concensus on things like elemental role, story etc?

Is there a whole other level of this game you only get to experience if you are willing to go to the big tournaments all throughout the year?

If there is, it sound amazing, but sadly I doubt I’d ever have the time/energy and financial resources to participate...

...still loving the game at a more local level though.

EDIT

I guess what I’m saying is that I wish there was some way to officially “pledge” to a clan and get to take part in decisions through a poll or something without it being open to infiltration by other clans just voting to troll.  Like linking in your official tournament record to it or something.

Edited by Bakura83

The L5R Discord is probably the primary places to look.  They have a clan alignment function.  Additionally, most of the clans have some other sort of forum.  There are some clan forums (I think most of them aren't very active except maybe Crane), as well as Facebook groups.  

The Unicorn facebook group did some polls to help get a gauge on what the majority of the clan wanted for their next role and in generally people seem to be voting along those lines to give the people what they want.

#whothejigokupickedseekerofearth

:D

I'm pretty sure every clan has a FB page and some even have clan websites.  Discord discussion is a good place as others mentioned...……..

Although, it you're looking to have some meaningful Crab Clan discussions, you might be in for a big disappointment.  It's common knowledge that most Crab conversations generally involve a debate about the size of one's Tetsubo, how many knobs it has, and/or how much the "chicks dig it."  There's lots of grunting, chest-pounding, knuckle-cracking, and at least a handful of "Bah, Honor!" comments.  If that's your sort of thing then have fun.  If you would rather discuss more worldly topics like how to burn it then you should find some Shadowlands players to hang with.

;)

Edited by Ishi Tonu

2 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Meanwhile Grampa Gunichi regards discords with scorn (for "scorn," read "baffled incomprehension and disinterest"), but doesn't really miss Clan forums as much as he thought he would...

I feel the same Grampa.  I downloaded discord and felt like I had been simultaneously slapped in the face with a pair of salmon.

I’m sure it’s me.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:39 AM, Shiba Gunichi said:

Meanwhile Grampa Gunichi regards discords with scorn (for "scorn," read "baffled incomprehension and disinterest"), but doesn't really miss Clan forums as much as he thought he would...

Note that some of that is a function of how.... disharmonious the Phoenix fanbase has historically been.