Sign in to follow this  
rsdockery

Thoughts on TSN player cards

Hopefully before Monterey Jack comes out so both of them have the option.  What would it do?  I kinda like the idea of a whip giving you some bonus to both combat and agility checks.

Edited by phillos

3 minutes ago, Carthoris said:

ah48_main.png

(the original Ursula fig)

Man, I used that in my last TFA campagn.

I hate that figure so much.  I will start by complaining about the beige miniskirt and the heels.  While there is other stuff that bothers me about that fig, I will leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Jobu said:

Man, I used that in my last TFA campagn.

I hate that figure so much.  I will start by complaining about the beige miniskirt and the heels.  While there is other stuff that bothers me about that fig, I will leave it at that.

We used it in our last TFA run too! And yeah, lots to dislike in that fig.

Edited by Carthoris

For me Enchanted blade is a great 0 level weapon for William Yorick too! He doesn't care about charges, he can just replay the weapon from his discard pile!

I like having another good combat option for Akachi, more charges with her and she can return it to her hand with Spirit-speaker. And it gives her a sword and sorcery feel I like vey much!

13 hours ago, SDW740 said:

The Secret Name is not on the Asmodee list again as of today (22nd March). So earliest is the 4th April for the U.K. if it’s on next Fridays list. 

On the waiting game goes! Asmodee UK tweeted that there have been issues (I imagine the shipment has just not reached UK shores) so we sit back and wait. 😕 

29 minutes ago, zooeyglass said:

On the waiting game goes! Asmodee UK tweeted that there have been issues (I imagine the shipment has just not reached UK shores) so we sit back and wait. 😕 

The issue I've heard can be summed up as "someone forgot to order a container of LCG stuff"...

One note on the Dual-Classed cards that I haven't seen commented on - they are a "circle":

Guardian->Rogue->Survivor->Seeker->Mystic->Guardian

No doubt to keep things "even" so each class gets two cards.

Something to keep an eye out for if they do anymore dual-classed cards in future cycles.

Something worth fighting for: Gotta say, not impressed. Guardians struggle on resources more than anybody and a 3-cost asset that's exclusively a soak doesnt call out to me the slightest. The teamplay factor isnt impressive either, Guardians are typically the class that needs economical support, and in return they Guard the entire team. This card helps you guard friends at the cost of other, more classical, kinds of guarding. 

1/5, because you just cannot afford it.

Crack the case: 0 cost fast conditional event that grants a financial infusion. Theoretically you'll chuck 4 resources at a buddy and both of you smile and holler and go about your merry way, in meatspace you'll spend a good while wishing this were something completely different an wind up angrily chucking 2 resources at your guardian to make him stop begging for it. Humour aside, chucking 2 resources at a Guardian/Mystic is actually a perfectly valid strategy so do consider picking this card when such a friend is in the team (or if said friend is actually yourself! Roland! Joe!) and smile and wave every time you give them 2 or 3 resources, they can easily leverage just a couple extra resources into safely dispatched monsters for you.

4/5, because it's good even if you play it in non-ideal circumstances.

Intel report: 2 Resources and action for a clue unconditionally is below the curve. 4 Resources and an action for 2 unconditional clues is a fresh mechanic, so this IS the curve? Quite expensive as opposed to just playing Fingerprint kit or Rite of seeking. 6 Resources for 2 unconditional clues up to 2 locations away? Fantastic! The thing is however that 6 resources is on par for the most expensive cards in the game, 4 resources is up there with the most expensive events in the game and 2 resources is already asking for quite a lot. This card is good, but only in the decks that seriously make gathering money their shtick. Hot-streak Sefina, Jenny and Preston, these three will routinely be playing this card with at least one of the boosts, if not both. Everybody else, even other Rogues, just cannot afford this kind of luxury. Intel report is a perfect card to upgrade into Lola Santiago when you get the chance.

4/5, good but very narrow investigator pool.

Sign magick: Expensive expensive! 3 Resources, card slot and hand slot for.... Nothing?? No seriously, this card doesn't actually do anything, its the other cards that do stuff! This one does nothing. Close though! This card should very definitely have text for card drawing or risky tutoring ("Action, search top 6 cards of deck for Spell, if you see weakness take 1 damage" or "Fast, Exhaust: Gain +1 on the next Spell skill test this round") something like that). The reason the old book that never sees play, doesn't, see, play, is that it just doesnt do anything by itself, it's far too expensive! This asset is much the same, except being fast is actually a miraculously useful trait. You dont play the sign magick until the exact moment it becomes useful. The problem remains, you play a useless card, in the hope of gaining flexibility with other important cards, I just don't see the need and when I see the need the extra charges the book offers seem like a MUCH smarter bet because it's useful even if you only got one spell, at least Sign magick is a very natural card to replace the book at level 0.

2/5, it's enables deck designs that assume 3 spells until you upgrade into the book.

Banish: Willpower evade test that then puts extra space between you and the bad guy. You can haul a nuisance away into an unimportant location, for example if you encounter a Cultist or criminal in scenario 1 and 2 of Dunwick you can move it to a location that's finished and out of the way, OR you could just kill it with a shrivelling charge. This isn't always useful and the big issue I take with it is that its expensive (2 resources) and it has no innate + to succeed, so as with Blinding light beating the test isn't actually a given. Blinding light is a very good comparison here, Blinding light can target elites btw, how often do you play that one? Not often! Every resource spent for a mystic event is a resource not spent for a mystic asset, I.E, leave it in the binder.

1/5, circumstantial and even when the circumstance arises the benefit is peripheral at best. 

Meat cleaver: Whoo-eey! What a beaute! 1-Hand survivor weapon with +1 to hit, a conditional +1 more, a conditional +damage and a conditional horror heal. There's a lot of conditions but with so many moving parts the card is guaranteed to be OP for someone. First off because peter Sylvestre and Cherished keepsake exist, ****-near every Survivor can obtain a board state where Meat cleaver is by and large the best 0-xp weapon in the game, this involves sitting at 3-4 sanity with Peter in play to soak self inflicted damage. As for flexibility and outright usefulness Machette wins out, but the cleaver is a strong contender and a few of the characters that can take it actually LIKE taking some horror. 

4/5, very powerful in many builds, rarely outright bad, but the circumstance can arise that you just cannot freely take horror.

.45 Thompson: Big, expensive weapon that gets the job done. there isn't much to  say about this card except, there is a LOT of concentrated power in this card. It pushes out playing other cards, a beat cop or Scene of the crime for example, but the sheer card - to - effectiveness ratio is great, you can win a map on the back of a single Thompson. Even 3-fight characters, Diana, Skids, Jenny, can bring this beast and expect to blow away lots of threats. The big issue is that while youre paying for and driving the Thompson youre not doing much else, no flashlight.

4/5, good at what it's made to do but so expensive that it's hard to do much else.

Scroll of secrets: An alternative to Book of lore, much cheaper but limited to charges. I actually think it's quite fine in 3-4 player where a clue focused seeker/mystic can focus on just clues and support, the low cost and charges make it actually interesting even if youre not playing THE tome character which is why I rate it higher then book of lore. Suddenly a Marie / Mateo with Sixth sense, Scroll of secrets, Rite of seeking and whatever other clue tech you can find seems like a workable build. With luck you can help a buddy get wrid of a weakness, draw a key card for them or kill/relocate a mythos card.

3/5, support cards are often underrated, I think rather highly of this one.

Tenessee Sour Mash: Turn 3 resources into a total +4 on willpower tests and one +3 attack. The sheer cost -to- stat efficiency is great. Ideally you use the willpower triggers to beat something like Frozen in fear or other nasty text-heavy treacheries and then you break the bottle to finish the remaining hp on an odd hp enemy. 

3/5, this card is way way better than it looks.

Enchanted blade: This is one of the best weapons in the game, I dont think it completely invalidates .45 or .38 but the sheer flexibility makes this weapon THE best backup weapon in the game and it actually shakes the foundations of Machette. The +2 to hit means that it replaces .45 in most decks, for example because the +2 to hit might be useful even if you already got Machete in play, not to mention the +combat icon. The flexibility to deal 1 damage without a charge with +1 to hit means that you might be willing to save charges while killing weak enemies, with a .45 you either waste a bullet on the Ghoul minion or you punch it with no +hit, and against the Ravenous ghoul a second bullet is wasted to get the last hitpoint, Enchanted blade gives you the +hit in all of these cases. This also makes it a great lategame sidearm to a big gun, where the extra security of +2 to hit and the flexibility to choose between attacks that deal 1, 2 or more damage at will, is awesome, against a 4-fight 4 or 5 HP enemy for example. Machette is still a better weapon, especially in Solo, but as soon as you get other players sitting at that table the machette becomes dramatically less dependable and Enchanted blade closes the gap on potentially being the best, or at least the most flexible, level 0 weapon. Also, the larger +hit makes enchanted blade a very interesting choice for 3-fight characters who perhaps dont need to spend quite as much time fighting as a guardian, heads up Skids, Jim and Diana.

5/5, not the strongest weapon in the game but extremely dependable and easily worked into a huge variety of decks. I cannot wait for the XP variants.

Grisly totem: Funky card for very specialized decks. The net gains from Grisly totem are by nature very slow, it's unlikely that you'll get enough to warrant the card slot, equipment slot and cost of this card without a deck that's predominantly Skill cards.

2/5, powerful in a very small number of special decks.

I think you've underestimated Grisly Totem. It works when committing any card, not just skill cards. It can only be used once per turn, but that's basically an extra +1 to any test as long as you commit a card. Wendy with her accessory signature asset will never bother with it for sure, but I've just put it into a William deck, it's an obvious choice for both Silas and Minh, and I think it could be a hit for Calvin.

@tsuruki: I generally agree with your scores.

I'd put the .45 Thompson lower. As you discuss, it's just so expensive. But I'm also generally down on any weapons that are limited use, high cost, and don't do extraordinary damage. And the 2 hands makes it even more onerous unless you're playing with bandoliers. I'd give it a 2.5/5. I would be hard pressed to say that I would prefer it to the Enchanted Blade, even if they were the same cost. The two extra uses balanced against the durable +1, 1 hand, and Relic attribute may not be worth it. And of course, it's twice as expensive. With twice as expensive really not even giving the full appreciation of its cost; as you say, if you're playing the .45T, you're playing nothing else. That gives a more than 1 star separation in my mind. 

I'd also put Sour Mash one star lower. 3 resources is actually kinda expensive, plus the action to put it into play. I could maybe see using this in the right deck or right investigator, but it's not super compelling even then. If it was 2 resources, I'd give it 4 stars. As is, probably only 2.

Meat Cleaver: 5 Stars. What's not to like? Especially, as you point out, in a Survivor class that has a lot of ways to mitigate going insane.

Overall, nice write-up.