Bucknife

2.0 Dead List Hall of Infamy

I feel like we should have a document of all the dead "meta" squads as we move forward with Second Edition. 

SQUAD OF LEGEND 1.0: September 2018 - January 2019

Death by points and Phantom Crew Slot removal.

List: Soontir+talent // Whisper+Juke+Vader crew // Redline+Proton Torps & System Slot to taste -- as low as 183pts

1+ Wins, 3+ Top 16s. 

DOUBLETAP DASH+ROARK: November? 2018 - January 2019

Death by points and Han Gunner errata.

List: Dash+HanGunner+PercCopilot_Roark+SquadLeader+Tac Officer -- around 193pts

1+ Wins, 2+ Top 16s. 

DREA SWARM 1.0: October 2018 - January 2019

Death by points.

Drea+ 3 Jakku Gunrunners +filler -- 

? Wins, ? Top 16s. 

TRIPSULONS: Dec. 2018 - February 2019

Death by points and errata.

List: Dormitz+Tavson+SBP// Hyperspace Tracking Data

X? Wins, 1+ Top 16s. 

Yions: Jan? 2019 - July 2019?

5 Grey Sqdrn. Bomber Rebel Y-Wings with Veteran Turret Gunner & Ion Turrets. 5x40= 200pts. 

Life by points, death by points...and apathy?

X? Wins, ? Top 16s.

DreadLoks: Jan. 2019 - July 2019

Drea w/Dorsal Turret & 3x Lol Renevants with VTG+Ion Turret/Dorsals. 

X? Wins, ? Top 16s.

Quad Juke Phantoms: the beginning - July 2019?

Death by points update to Juke/chassis. 

A whole bunch of wins/top 16s everywhere. 

Handbrake Han: The beginning - July 2019

Death by illicit slot removal on Rebel falcon.  

Rebel Han Falcon( Inertial Dampeners+ Kanan crew+ R2D2 crew + Luke Gunner) & Jake Rz-1 or other A-Wing to taste and an obnoxious bid. 

2+ Wins, ? Top 16s.

Rebel Beef 1.0: ??? - July 2019

Death by points.

Cassian U-Wing w/Leia crew, Wedge, Braylen B-Wing, Ten B-Wing

Tons of wins and streams of tears. 

Edited by Bucknife
Please comment/tag me/pm me to make corrections here. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, MortalPlague said:

Neat idea for a thread.  You should probably have a list of what each squad actually is, or at least a link to a squad builder.  I'm not sure what 'Squad of Legend' is, though I'm familiar with the others.

Redline, whisper, Fel

8 hours ago, MortalPlague said:

Neat idea for a thread.  You should probably have a list of what each squad actually is, or at least a link to a squad builder.  I'm not sure what 'Squad of Legend' is, though I'm familiar with the others.

Trouble is squad builders update with the changes, so if it is now an illegal list it can’t be represented that way.

Squad of Legend went something like this:

Whisper + Juke + Vader crew (since it was crew not gunner in those days)

Redline + adv sensors + proton torps

Soontir + predator

This left a huge bid guaranteeing going last when you want. You could upgrade Whisper with collision detector as extra seasoning and still be at 193-194 points I want to say.

with the upgrade recosts and Whisper gaining gunner not crew it’s less potent. However, I can build a similar list and still get around 194 point build. Just fifth brother not Vader so the force is more for survival less for ensuring juke works 

Or fix the rules so veteran turret gunner works the way most people think it does the first time they read it, no double-tapping from the same arc.

Edited by Tvboy

44 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Or fix the rules so veteran turret gunner works the way most people think it does the first time they read it, no double-tapping from the same arc.

Most people had the brains to realize the turret arc was separate from the front arc regardless of facing by simply reading the Firing Arcs section...

56 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Vet Turr Gunner didn't need a price decrease in the first place.

Looking at it from the perspective of a 'big ship' with a bow-tie Turret Arc, it did, because getting to fire both arcs at once is not likely (no more than veteran tail gunner, really).

But Turret upgrades getting cheaper at the same time, and the forward-arc-and-turret primary of the resistance bomber being released (which you can't 'swarm' but which can easily rack up a lot of modifiers on both attacks), makes it really nasty. 

39 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Looking at it from the perspective of a 'big ship' with a bow-tie Turret Arc, it did, because getting to fire both arcs at once is not likely (no more than veteran tail gunner, really).

But Turret upgrades getting cheaper at the same time, and the forward-arc-and-turret primary of the resistance bomber being released (which you can't 'swarm' but which can easily rack up a lot of modifiers on both attacks), makes it really nasty. 

For bow-tie primaries vet turret gunner is like vet tail gunner. A neat trick that'll rarely proc so the points are probably better spent on a bid or another upgrade. /shrug I can see the reasoning though.

4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Most people had the brains to realize the turret arc was separate from the front arc regardless of facing by simply reading the Firing Arcs section...

I'm talking about people in general, not just people arguing in the rules forums. Just last night I had to explain to 2 newer players why VTG's arc restrictions don't apply to things like Y-Wings. It's extremely easy to see how someone could conflate the shaded arc on a base with being the same thing as the arc that a turret indicator is pointing at. Because you know, they are physically the same thing when the turret indicator is pointing forward, rules reference not withstanding. 

I highly doubt that the average person upon their very first reading of this card thinks "oh yeah, you can obviously double-tap out of the same physical firing arc with this card". 

Also, just making it so that a player would have to catch a target in 2 arcs to double-tap it would increase the skill-gap of the card and justify it's cheap cost. Y'know, like all those cheap bullseye effects they keep making. 

Edited by Tvboy

6 hours ago, Cloaker said:

4 juke Phantoms should maybe be on this list. 

Seconded.  Although just barely.  They have painted themselves into a corner with juke.  It's edge case everywhere except the two empire ships that get free evades just for showing up.  They have an app, just make Juke cost 10 or 12 on Phantoms and Defenders and 4 everywhere else.

Not sure what the thinking on vet turret Gunner was.  Except wrong.  It was wrong.

It's like they priced it as if the rules worked one way and then said the rules work a different way.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:05 PM, Cloaker said:

4 juke Phantoms should maybe be on this list. 

Got it. 

Gosh, I can't remember all this stuff, guys. 

Quad died, but then there was three and one with Crack, right?! 

Is that one dead now, too? 

Maybe add the Rebel Beef variant with Braylen Stramm + Cassian Andor, Leia crew, and two more beefy ships like Wedge or Dutch. The basic sort of list is still a solid choice, but players have needed to swap in less expensive options to make the points work. It's no longer the dominant meta presence it used to be. 

I love the fact that post-world's there isn't a huge glaring obvious "Worst Thing" that just has to be nerfed or X-wing is going to be terrible forever.  I mean, there are plenty of adjustments I would like to see but there isn't really an archetype or pilot that is so obviously OP that everyone needs to fly this or tech against it.  I hope to see lots of fine adjustments come January but don't see any lists that need to be nuked from orbit.