Sign in to follow this  
SpiderMana

ARC Article - Hammer the Opposition

17 minutes ago, svelok said:

justice for kimogilas when?

I mean, a Kimo is 1 point more than a Red Squadron T-65 X-Wing.  On paper, that doesn't seem too unjust.

7 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

When you learn to line up Bullseye arcs, I guess.

The fact that even the generic has a talent slot means you can pack Dead To Rights combined with a bullseye-specific talent and a cheap astromech means they're actually a pretty respectable 4-off heavy fighter, even without their abilities as an ordnance boat. And the named pilots are especially brutal, since both their abilities are bullseye-locked automatic damage (give or take) that comes in addition to your normal attack, and they can get proton rockets on top.

Dang.  Just noticed that Generic Kimo + PRocket is 51.  And with the reload?  Mmmm.

18 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, a Kimo is 1 point more than a Red Squadron T-65 X-Wing.  On paper, that doesn't seem too unjust.

Dang.  Just noticed that Generic Kimo + PRocket is 51.  And with the reload?  Mmmm.

Aesthetically, Narratively, and tactically, a mix of M-12L Kimogila and M-3A Scyk works very well, and both ship types have some very efficient named pilots.

With 2nd edition and Hyperspace, I think it unlikely we'll get the M-22T Krayt anytime soon, but that would be a terror if it ever surfaced.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Looking at the named ARC pilots, I think we'll see Wolffe and maybe Odd Ball as singletons alongside jedi mini-swarms (maybe 3-4 generic knights or 3 of the cheaper named pilots, or 2 named pilots and a bunch of upgrades on everyone) and Sinker and Jag as support ships for Torrent swarms. 

Speaking of Torrent swarms, if they can only take mods / missiles and talents for the elites, they can't cost that much. I could see generics with barrage rockets costing 40 points or less. Also, having re-read Swoop's ability I actually really like it. Him being I3 does mean you have to run him with other I3s or higher, so he's not that great with scrub swarms, but being able to give your *entire team* free boosts seems good.  

EDIT: forgot Barrage Rockets take two missile slots, so that's probably a no go for Torrents. Womp womp. Maybe they'll make cluster missiles great again?

Edited by knute

8 minutes ago, knute said:

Speaking of Torrent swarms, if they can only take mods / missiles and talents for the elites, they can't cost that much. I could see generics with barrage rockets costing 40 points or less.

Well, avoid putting any upgrades at all on it and you've got a 2 attack, 2 agility, 5 hit fighter. It's a TIE/sa bomber with a "hull downgrade", or a TIE/ag aggressor with a shield converted to hull (both 30 points), so a price in the order of 26-28 points for the cheapest generic sounds about right.

It's clearly better than a Z-95 (23), but making it about the same as a TIE/fo (28) sounds about right - 1 less health but an extra defence die, a shield token to soak a critical on the first hit, and a superior dial. 

I'd be shocked if they cost 30 points, much less more than 30.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

5 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

The real question for me is, are they going be nice to all us players that already bought one or more Rebel ARCs and put 2 copies of the new non-limited upgrades in the pack, or are they going to just force us rebuy the same number of ships we already own?

Buy a seventh fleet gunner - get an ARC for for free!

23 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

The real question for me is, are they going be nice to all us players that already bought one or more Rebel ARCs and put 2 copies of the new non-limited upgrades in the pack, or are they going to just force us rebuy the same number of ships we already own?

I'd be surprised if they included that many copies. If the ARC-170 had been in the 'starter box', maybe, but I'm less confident a standalone expansion will. At least you've got multiple options - Seventh Fleet Gunner in one, Clone Commander Cody in another.

We know 8 upgrades, so far as I'm aware:

1. Clone Commander Cody
  2. Seventh Fleet Gunner
  3. Synchronised Console
  4. Dedicated
  5. Expert Handling
  6. Proton Torpedoes
  7. Palpatine/Sidious
  8. R4-P44

The article also namechecks "Veteran Tail Gunner" when talking about Wolffe, which may indicate a copy is in there, since previews generally talk about stuff in the expansion pack.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:40 AM, Max Teranous said:

You don't even give up the shot in the same turn - so the alpha strike is real. You just have to take a disarm later in the game if you want to reuse it, but there's often a dead turn where that's viable.

Yeah. The option to take a disarm makes this very powerful. Not having to take it the very next turn makes this really really nice. 

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'd be surprised if they included that many copies. If the ARC-170 had been in the 'starter box', maybe, but I'm less confident a standalone expansion will. At least you've got multiple options - Seventh Fleet Gunner in one, Clone Commander Cody in another.

We know 8 upgrades, so far as I'm aware:

1. Clone Commander Cody
  2. Seventh Fleet Gunner
  3. Synchronised Console
  4. Dedicated
  5. Expert Handling
  6. Proton Torpedoes
  7. Palpatine/Sidious
  8. R4-P44

The article also namechecks "Veteran Tail Gunner" when talking about Wolffe, which may indicate a copy is in there, since previews generally talk about stuff in the expansion pack.

Out of those 8, the only duplicate that would be needed would be 7th fleet gunner. The others are either unique or have had previous printings in the Rebel conversion kit or printed elsewhere in wave 3.

But if the gunner ends up being an auto-include for republic arcs the way VTG is for Y-Wings and Scurrgs, I will be annoyed if there is no extra copies in the pack.

It will be like 1.0 T-70s all over again where we already owned the one from the core set but they only gave us 1 copy of integrated astromech in the expansion until a year later with heroes of the resistance.

44 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Out of those 8, the only duplicate that would be needed would be 7th fleet gunner. The others are either unique or have had previous printings in the Rebel conversion kit or printed elsewhere in wave 3.

But if the gunner ends up being an auto-include for republic arcs the way VTG is for Y-Wings and Scurrgs, I will be annoyed if there is no extra copies in the pack.

It will be like 1.0 T-70s all over again where we already owned the one from the core set but they only gave us 1 copy of integrated astromech in the expansion until a year later with heroes of the resistance.

You mean... I shouldn't have preordered two of these guys with my Rebel-schemed one laying around? 

13 minutes ago, Ryfterek said:

You mean... I shouldn't have preordered two of these guys with my Rebel-schemed one laying around? 

I think people are largely over-concerned. Will we get absolutely everything we’d want ideally, and enough of it to make ideal squads using our Rebel models? Probably not.

Will you be able to fly a pair of 7FS gunner generics alongside Wolffe or somebody with Cody gunner? Heck yeah!

I only preordered 1, with 3 rebel ARCs, so I don’t expect to be able to combo too much officially. That won’t stop me from proxying in casual though.

10 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Sure.  But I'm also one of those folks who's probably more tempted by VTG on an ARC anyhow.

Do you manage to set up enough VTG attacks to make it worth it? Or is simply affordable in the list?

For me, I've rarely seen the former but I'd love to be able to make it work. It's powerful when you get it, which makes it a great 4pt. But if commonly not, it's mostly wasted.

I do wonder if new tools in the Republic can make it a thing. Granting a boost to an ARC just has to be done. Coord everywhere when the Jedi are about.

And there is a lot of ships on tables atm.

The only way I can see myself using 7th Gunner, is single, with Plo nearby. ARCs will burn up quite quick I think. I dread spending any time not shooting with them and allowing too much attention to fall on my Jedi. But possible with Plo skipping firing arcs....

My want to try list is Wolffe (secretly Jango) evil Palp, Odd Ball R4-P17, Synchronised Consoles, Calibrated Laser poor stupid Anakin. If I can fit that I'll be fairly pleased. Otherwise Plo. But hopefully more stuff instead for the dawn of the evil Empire.

I mean sure, you want to shoot Wolffe, I know you want to shoot Wolffe, everyone in this room knows you want to shoot Wolffe. Yeah I just rerolled a hit into a blank, what of it?

I don't even care if it's not good at this point, I just want in.

11 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

R5-P8

21 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Say what we will about FFG's ability to design a well-balanced game... but they are experts when it comes to being able to design an upgrade that forces us to rebuy a bunch of stuff we already own!  🤣

On 3/14/2019 at 9:23 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Well, avoid putting any upgrades at all on it and you've got a 2 attack, 2 agility, 5 hit fighter. It's a TIE/sa bomber with a "hull downgrade", or a TIE/ag aggressor with a shield converted to hull (both 30 points), so a price in the order of 26-28 points for the cheapest generic sounds about right.

It's clearly better than a Z-95 (23), but making it about the same as a TIE/fo (28) sounds about right - 1 less health but an extra defence die, a shield token to soak a critical on the first hit, and a superior dial. 

I'd be shocked if they cost 30 points, much less more than 30.

That dial sucks though, it's B-wing-esque. 

I'm expecting 25-26 pts. 

Edited by MegaSilver

5 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Say what we will about FFG's ability to design a well-balanced game... but they are experts when it comes to being able to design an upgrade that forces us to rebuy a bunch of stuff we already own!  🤣

Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion the four pilot cardboards are gonna be something like Oddball/Oddball, Wolffe/Wolffe, Sinker/ps3 generic, Jag/ps2 generic. That way, you cant run more than 1 generic ARC of the same PS without buying multiple packs, even though people already own rebel ARCs. Precedence for this is the resistance awing with Tali/Zari, Lulo/Green Sqd, Greer/Blue Sqd. Four unique pilots, only 2 generics.

3 hours ago, wurms said:

Yeah, I have a sneaking suspicion the four pilot cardboards are gonna be something like Oddball/Oddball, Wolffe/Wolffe, Sinker/ps3 generic, Jag/ps2 generic. That way, you cant run more than 1 generic ARC of the same PS without buying multiple packs, even though people already own rebel ARCs. Precedence for this is the resistance awing with Tali/Zari, Lulo/Green Sqd, Greer/Blue Sqd. Four unique pilots, only 2 generics.

I guess the RZ-2 wasn't owned by anyone previously, so it's more forgivable than of they do it with the ARC. I own one Rebel ARC but I'd love to be able to fly 2x generics of the same initiative without buying an extra pack 

Just have to cross my fingers I guess!

Oh they won't get me. I'll happily pick up a couple aftermarket singles to run my Rebel ARC in there. The ARCs is nigh!

I paid precisely one pound to fit a Pattern Analyser to my Quad, recently. Haven't actually used it since I had to borrow one though :D