Indy_com

How Many Potential Future Corps/Spec-Ops Units Are Left?

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

There is also the fact that the (physical) appearance of bothans has been removed from existing liscenced material.   They (Licasfilm under Disney) may be changing what they look like (I'm hoping for them to be shapeshifters) in the canon.   

Until the bothans get revealed in new media, I think there is zero chance of them.

Yeah but eventually they will reveal them (hopefully no longer furries) and so they are still a future possibility. They might not even be a race anymore. "Bothan" might be a religious sect, or a human culture for all we know now.

6 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Yeah but eventually they will reveal them (hopefully no longer furries) and so they are still a future possibility. They might not even be a race anymore. "Bothan" might be a religious sect, or a human culture for all we know now.

It is curious that the bothans currently don't have an entry in starwars.com databank.   They will be revealed at some point.  

38 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It is curious that the bothans currently don't have an entry in starwars.com databank.   They will be revealed at some point.  

Rumour has it Disney don't like the current implementation of Bothans and wanted to have the freedom to implement their own new interpretation. I think there have even been statements from people in the canon deciding group that Bothans may turn out to just be humans from Bothowui. 

Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

I think there have even been statements from people in the canon deciding group that Bothans may turn out to just be humans from Bothowui. 

INB4 "Bothans" is a collective term for a specific systems Rebel Cell.

2 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

The Story Group is being weirdly cagey about it all, but Sabine did draw this little guy:

w4ffp.png.e2308d32f85c06b1d2623a1cb7b8e1ef.png

And this fellow has shown up in a few episodes of Resistance:

DthcV1FWkAEYZQS.thumb.jpg.29f4aec40d419d60f3f72a1f896ecc97.jpg

Neither has yet been confirmed as a Bothan, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

The Story Group is being weirdly cagey about it all, but Sabine did draw this little guy:

I don't have anything against their old EU appearance, I just thought it was weird that numerous authors sexualized them, with there even being human/bothan hybrids in the old republic comics.

2 hours ago, ewardell said:

Ewok warriors as Corps would be lots of fun

Yes they would. Unlikely but fun. They, or rebel-aligned mercs, are the only unnanounced rebel squad I can see buying. Pilots would be cool but, unfun to paint, so I probably wouldn't buy many, possibly none.

Ewoks! Wicket commander turns them from a support unit to a corp for army building.

wing guard... not sure, does lando have the dough to pay them for a volunteer war?

Saw’s partisans I feel like these should be a personnel expantion that adds a darker flavor to units. Perhaps it includes parts to convert regular rebel troopers visually.

1 hour ago, TylerTT said:

Ewoks! Wicket commander turns them from a support unit to a corp for army building.

wing guard... not sure, does lando have the dough to pay them for a volunteer war?

Saw’s partisans I feel like these should be a personnel expantion that adds a darker flavor to units. Perhaps it includes parts to convert regular rebel troopers visually.

They would all be renamed. Wing Guards becomes “Rent-a-Cops”.  Saw’s Partizans becomes “Rebel Extremists”. I think a squad of “mercs”, mostly aliens, should cover the R1 guys nicely. 

16 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I don't have anything against their old EU appearance, I just thought it was weird that numerous authors sexualized them, with there even being human/bothan hybrids in the old republic comics.

I can think of one human/Bothan relationship in the X-Wing books.  Where else did we have sexualized Bothans?  (besides the potential hybrid)

On 3/18/2019 at 1:45 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

So, pretty much identical to Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG. 

6 hours ago, Derrault said:

So, pretty much identical to Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG. 

Yes, they ARE visually similar, but, as noted, the newer entries are not necessarily Bothans.   There is indeed a race that has the apperance that bothans used to, but that doesn't make them bothans.

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Yes, they ARE visually similar, but, as noted, the newer entries are not necessarily Bothans.   There is indeed a race that has the apperance that bothans used to, but that doesn't make them bothans.

I mean, I always found it weird that Bothans could be anything but Humans and still manage to spy effectively on the Xenophobic Empire. 

14 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I mean, I always found it weird that Bothans could be anything but Humans and still manage to spy effectively on the Xenophobic Empire. 

Agreed.  

There is something that is overlooked..  Mon Mothmas line was “many bothans died to bring us this information”

There is NOTHING, other than the old legends, stating bothans are spies.  It could very well be that there is a story there where the bothans homeworld hold an imperial installation, that houses the information that gets relayed to the rebels.

Said information was only where the death star II was, that it was non-operational (lies), and the Emperor was going to be there.   Now we know that this was planted information, so it makes it all more tragic if the bothans revolt, find this info, and die to bring it to the rebels.  

I definitely agree with the above. It's an improvement on the frankly silly trope that all members of a species have a natural affinity/tendency towards a certain occupation. The FFG Star Wars RPGs are especially guilty of this.

1 hour ago, srMontresor said:

I definitely agree with the above. It's an improvement on the frankly silly trope that all members of a species have a natural affinity/tendency towards a certain occupation. The FFG Star Wars RPGs are especially guilty of this.

It was weird how they did that. But in keeping with the single-ecosystem planets and stuff I guess. I really gotta get the book on the development of D6 that came out. I have too much in my reading queue already though. Back when that stuff was being written there was just next to nothing going on. The old Disney gift shop for the Star Tours ride managed to hold, I'd guess, about 80% or 90% of all currently available Star Wars products, in the world. So it was just a very different situation they were writing that stuff in. And it wasn't just Star Wars, other scifi/fantasy worlds did the same thing.

Bothans were always maybe my least favorite thing in that era. Rippling their fur to show emotion to expertly manipulate everyone to their own ends. But then way worse stuff came out and I forgot. I also thought it was weird the amount of space the SWMB Companion gave to Bothan Clan Sigils... since y'know. There were no Bothan minis!

I think there's probably about a half dozen GCW squads left per side before they have to reach too far for comfort. But Clone Wars will probably slow the release schedule before then too. Maybe 18 squads if they add a merc faction (unlikely).

Edited by TauntaunScout

At this point I am really doubting that we will get a scum/criminal/independents/syndicates or whatever faction but man I really just want some good ol' cantina or jabbas palace dudes with pistols and vibro-shivs in whatever form they will give them to us.  Those sleazy guys that lurk in the background of shady places were my favorites growing up!  I remember discovering new faces I had never noticed before with each new viewing.  Sigh...  I just really like star wars...

17 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I can think of one human/Bothan relationship in the X-Wing books.  Where else did we have sexualized Bothans?  (besides the potential hybrid)

Yeah, I have no idea what he's talking about either. The only thing close to "hypersexualization" in Star Wars is probably Leia's golded bikini.

6 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Agreed.  

There is something that is overlooked..  Mon Mothmas line was “many bothans died to bring us this information”

There is NOTHING, other than the old legends, stating bothans are spies.  It could very well be that there is a story there where the bothans homeworld hold an imperial installation, that houses the information that gets relayed to the rebels.

Said information was only where the death star II was, that it was non-operational (lies), and the Emperor was going to be there.   Now we know that this was planted information, so it makes it all more tragic if the bothans revolt, find this info, and die to bring it to the rebels.  

The funny thing was that despite everything Legends had to say about the Bothans being spies, the ones that died to get the plans to the 2nd Death Star were fighter pilots.

7 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

At this point I am really doubting that we will get a scum/criminal/independents/syndicates or whatever faction

If both factions get a 3rd party corps and commander that'll do it. Make up the rest of your 800 with operatives and medical droids and whatnot.

12 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Agreed.  

No, her second line is "The data brought to us by the Bothan Spies."  The "Many Bothans died" line is much later, and is to add gravity to the situation/show why they think its valid.  There's a distinct reason why the Bothans were depicted as spies.  

That said, spying doesn't necessarily have to be James Bond-esque infiltration of enemy facilities or a mole placed in their ranks.  The Bothans are frequently depicted as being expert slicers (hackers) and SIGINT is a huge deal with modern technology; no reason why the Empire wouldn't have just as many problems with that.  Also, the EU's depiction of the Bothans were that they had multiple clans and houses vying for power in a Machiavellian/Byzantine power struggle.  As open fighting was prohibited, they used information as their weapon, and thus it is fitting that these houses would have access to spying networks made up of both Bothan and non-Bothan members.