Sign in to follow this  
clontroper5

Star wars 30th anniversary RPG vs FFG RPGs

Posted (edited)

So I am going to be starting a star was RPG group soon and I was wondering what everyone thought of the different kinds of RPGs. 

More specifically I am wondering what you guys would recommend, the 30th anniversary original RPG or one of FFG's systems (I.e edge of the Empire) 

I have a fair amount of d&d exp. But never a star wars rpg. 

This will also be my first time as GM if that matters

Edited by clontroper5

The WEG version is a more traditional RPG. I’d recommend the FFG version, I’ve found it’s much better and making the game feel like Star Wars and it’s better at keeping all the players involved and interested. The starter box for whichever setting you’re interested in is a good way to get into the game. You get the special dice and an adventure that will teach you how to play so you don’t have to learn the game ahead of time. That’s how my group started and our game has been going for over 4 years now

Yea I did some research and decided to Buy the Force and Destiny Core book.

I am definitely in love with the FFG dice system so far haha, we will see how everything goes next Saturday when our group starts.

So is the Starter box worth it? I have a core book, GM Kit and 1 set of dice. Should I invest in the Starter kit as well?

You don’t need it but it’s a nice way to ease into the system. There’s a pre-written adventure that introduces rules as you need them, so you can learn the game by playing it instead of by reading the book before the game. If you’ve already got the core book you don’t need the starter, it just greases the wheels for the first session and gets everyone up to speed

I haven't really looked at the FFG era RPG's, so I don't know about its dice and rules system

But I loved the old West End Games D6 system.   Simple and fun.   Had many great adventures with that system.