Revert

Going To Time

In Magic events, they are considered good customer service but sometimes you can't do it because of other distractions. I haven't had the chance to use the GEM, but it looks like the only official timer is on the app. I would probably find a way to get a more visible timer in place when the store I frequent starts doing their Chainbound events.

I've had another situation where the rules about going to time caused a loss. I have this great deck that uses iron obelisk and a variety of other artifacts. At the end of the game I had two keys and 2 amber while my opponent had 1 key and 10 amber. Because FFG decided to ignore board state the player was able to forge at 6 instead of at the current cost of 9. Because of this the opponent had two more amber than me and I lost, while I'd have won if the board state was recognized as, you know, important. It's such a weird decision by FFG as it breaks the flow of play and completely disregards how the game would have actually played out.

There's an element of player responsibility here too. If I'm playing a game, time is called, and I know I'd lose eventually, then I'm conceding regardless of what the EOM procedures are.

Posted (edited)

A lot of card games have the "active player plus 2 turns" rule. I think this rule would work better. I also feel that the tournament organizer should give a 5 minute warning & a 2 minute warning. Time shouldn't be a "hidden" or "surprise" thing.

Barby

Edited by Barby007

A good tournament venue should hopefully have a visible round clock. If it doesn't and you find going to time a regular issue, set an alarm or countdown timer on your phone :)

On 3/12/2019 at 11:15 AM, Revert said:

I think the goal of a tie breaker should be to award victory to the player who was probably going to win if play continued. If players are incentivized to play differently because they suspect a tie breaker is coming, then I think the tie breaker should be examined for change.

Yeah, this. In my experience on a local level, games are constantly going to time. It's rarely close enough for this to come up, but I can definitely see how this qualifies as a flaw in the game. I've definitely had moments where I saw the clock was getting close and was tempted to rush to have time end on my opponent's turn, but it hadn't really occurred to me until reading this thread how valuable that strategy might be. This could be one of those things that becomes an issue as competitive play develops, especially in sealed. Legal or not, I think the community will frown on this if it's how an important win is made on the tour, much like the issues over "missed opportunity" with forgetting to flip a key that came up recently.

17 minutes ago, D351 said:

Yeah, this. In my experience on a local level, games are constantly going to time. It's rarely close enough for this to come up, but I can definitely see how this qualifies as a flaw in the game. I've definitely had moments where I saw the clock was getting close and was tempted to rush to have time end on my opponent's turn, but it hadn't really occurred to me until reading this thread how valuable that strategy might be. This could be one of those things that becomes an issue as competitive play develops, especially in sealed. Legal or not, I think the community will frown on this if it's how an important win is made on the tour, much like the issues over "missed opportunity" with forgetting to flip a key that came up recently.

One thing I'm curious about. Is the gameclock on the GEM site itself or is it up to the store to set it?

Because to me it seems like sealed rounds should get more time to them than archon ones. At least with archons one should know how to play them and be able to go quickly. With sealed since they're new decks it would probably take more time as players figured out what to do.

Though last sunday in the final round, myself and the player I was against playing out for first played went ahead and agreed to play it out - screw the time clock - as we were so close. (his deck has just about every aember disruption in it) In the end I squeezed out a key abduction for the win. Previously that player had beaten me. So sometimes it's hard to tell how the game might actually play out.

7 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

One thing I'm curious about. Is the gameclock on the GEM site itself or is it up to the store to set it?

Because to me it seems like sealed rounds should get more time to them than archon ones. At least with archons one should know how to play them and be able to go quickly. With sealed since they're new decks it would probably take more time as players figured out what to do.

Though last sunday in the final round, myself and the player I was against playing out for first played went ahead and agreed to play it out - screw the time clock - as we were so close. (his deck has just about every aember disruption in it) In the end I squeezed out a key abduction for the win. Previously that player had beaten me. So sometimes it's hard to tell how the game might actually play out.

Sealed rounds do get more time. If you look at the official OP regulations, Archon rounds (bo1) are 35 minutes, Sealed rounds (bo1) are 45 minutes.