xero989

SSD article up!

6 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

They are the 1% ;)

Plus, if you track face downs with tokens, you can sub in as required.

I am pretty sure it's below 1%.

2 minutes ago, chr335 said:

Do we know how Motti will work on the SSD yet?

There’s always potential unknown since we don’t have the expansion.  As far as we know the SSD is not small, medium, or large. So no. 

3 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I do have to wonder how a rebel fleet is supposed to take down an Executor-class Star Dreadnaught in sector fleet games. Even with the extra fleet points, chewing through at least 11 shields and 33 hull while having 8-10 dice being thrown back at you seems... difficult. Not even counting the rest of the Imperial fleet.

Still, I am glad the SSD is so strong in Sector Fleet. It would feel like a waste of points (and money) if it couldn't hold its own and be the apex battleship on the field.

A -wings

27 minutes ago, chr335 said:

Do we know how Motti will work on the SSD yet?

As I understand it, he doesn't.

Motti works with small, medium, and large based ship while the Executor has a huge base.

Annihilator (reroll a die attacking squads) + Kallus (add a die against unique squads) + Point Defense (reroll crits against squads) + Quad Laser Turrets (Counter 1) has a pretty good chance of just shredding enemy squadrons.  It's already re-roll rich against squads, but every SSD will also have Leading Shots should it need yet more rerolls.  That stuff is all pretty cheap (20pts total, not much more than one ace squad), and the SSD has the slots to spare.  To say nothing of an SSD list that also squeezes in stuff like Mithel or Ruthless Strategist shennanigans, but that's likely overkill.

I was sort of hoping that fighters would be the best weapon against an SSD, but I'm really starting to doubt the math on their ability to take the thing down fast enough without getting eviscerated in couple rounds. Y-Wings or X-Wings, for instance, are likely to take 2-3 damage from an anti-squadron attack, and then take another damage if they dare attack the SSD.  This means such squads are likely dead in two rounds of engagement with the SSD. 

On 3/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, DOMSWAT911 said:

And the really important thing in all that is...  "a new expension"

I really wonder what it will be?

A new campaign, a new Armada 2.0, a change for a Armada 1.5, new kind of ship or squadron, a new flotilla.

e61e4636f90ade1b9f1702b3adb623b841a34116

A Campaign would make the most sense (out of all this madness). Which would make for interesting campaign mechanic with only 1 Imperial Fleet having the Executor. It would be a question of where the empire is going to make its move and when the Executor comes in then you know that the Empire is throwing its full might in hopes they destroy the Rebel Base.

23 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I do have to wonder how a rebel fleet is supposed to take down an Executor-class Star Dreadnaught in sector fleet games. Even with the extra fleet points, chewing through at least 11 shields and 33 hull while having 8-10 dice being thrown back at you seems... difficult. Not even counting the rest of the Imperial fleet.

Still, I am glad the SSD is so strong in Sector Fleet. It would feel like a waste of points (and money) if it couldn't hold its own and be the apex battleship on the field.

15-25 SW90’s. The SSD can’t kill them fast enough.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:33 AM, Kelsier16 said:

I feel like the only decent reason that x wing got a 2.0 was the massive power creep. So many ships became obsolete because there were new mechanics. In armada, it feels like the ships from wave 1 are used as much as 7. However, a few rule changes, such as flotillas would make sense.  I just want more ships. And maybe more unique squadrons. 

My experience with Armada is limited, but I agree that it's nowhere near needing a Second Edition as much as X-Wing did.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:35 AM, Derpzilla88 said:

I do have to wonder how a rebel fleet is supposed to take down an Executor-class Star Dreadnaught in sector fleet games.

New A-Wing pilot, Arvel Crynyd:  "When attacking a ship, if attacking an unshielded hull zone, you may sacrifice this squadron to destroy that ship."

And even though I just got into armada, if you position ships right, a CR 90 can get away with a five die attack, doing quite a bit of damage. If you took an x wing (T-65) it would have trouble against almost anything.  

The nice thing about armada is that any ship can do some serious damage to just about anything.

10 hours ago, Kelsier16 said:

And even though I just got into armada, if you position ships right, a CR 90 can get away with a five die attack, doing quite a bit of damage.

Not just positioning but activation timing and advantage would be important too, to ensure the CR90s can jump in and out and survive. I think the "pass the ball" activation order(where the key attacking ship is last-first) would be useful but this time with mc30 msu, which are tankier and more likely to survive their assault on the SSD

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2019 at 12:45 AM, Weyoun42 said:

One thing you really have to think about with SSD's is even before they're destroyed, how crippled are they going to be?  I mean, 33 hull, sure, but if you're sitting on eight or ten or MORE face-up damage cards?  Woof.

Hmm I might have a solution for that. Executor, Lira, Grint and Comms net and start filling up on eng tokens in the early turns. Only Boarding Engineers can give your SSD faceups. Or else if you might be using your SSD as a very fat carrier/AA/utility ship or planning to only shoot in end-game/slow-roll you could try Gherant

Edited by Muelmuel

17 hours ago, MDeliso said:

I am new to the game, only bought the core in August or September, so haven't been around during a release yet. How long after a preview article do the expansions typically ship?

If you hope to get a hint when the SSD will be released, you'll be disappointed. Nothing is "typical" about the SSD release. Between wave 3 and wave 7 anouncements came quite often. Time span between release and announcement was 134 days. SSD was anounced 8.3.18. We are waiting 226 days now. That's nearly the time that went by between anouncement and release of Core Box (231 days) and wave 2 (234 days) when the game was young and prospects were unsecure. And we didn't really get any real preview article yet.

What's more of a problem is that we were waiting for news veeery long this time. Between Core Box and wave 5 there typically a new wave/product was announced before the release of the recent one with the exception of 101 days waiting between wave 2 release and wave 3 announcement. Between wave 5 and 6 we had to wait 82 days. For anouncement of wave 7 was a time span of 50 days. After Chimaera/Profundity release it took 183 days till anouncement of SSD! Nearly a full year we had no release, only 1 1/2 articles about the SSD coming, with quite disappointing rules for fleets above 400 FP and an interview for worlds.

No wonder, people here discuss what this long time span means for the game. Now FFG promised to give us a new anouncement at adeptiCon end of March. Finally we will see what they were brewing so long. Let's hope it was worth the time it took. (Rebellions are built on ...)

https://starwars-armada.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Images?file=Armada_releas-dates.jpg

Take a look at Armada release dates table at Armada wiki.

3 minutes ago, Triangular said:

And we didn't really get any real preview article yet. only 1 1/2 articles about the SSD coming, with quite disappointing rules for fleets above 400 FP and an interview for worlds.

So when we finally after all that time got the preview article earlier this week, you missed it?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/11/unlimited-power-2/

1 minute ago, Revanur said:

So when we finally after all that time got the preview article earlier this week, you missed it?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/3/11/unlimited-power-2/

No real preview article in my eyes. Only a "oops-it-won't-come-first-quarter-2019"-article. We still lack all the crucial information about rules for huge ships, which should come in a real preview. All cards in the article were well known because of an advertisment we saw in December 2018.

10 minutes ago, Triangular said:

No real preview article in my eyes. Only a "oops-it-won't-come-first-quarter-2019"-article. We still lack all the crucial information about rules for huge ships, which should come in a real preview. All cards in the article were well known because of an advertisment we saw in December 2018.

That article is pretty much the same as all the other preview articles. Didn't think we would get more rules information from it. And that we already had the information from anouther source doesn't mean it's not the preview article

12 minutes ago, Triangular said:

I agree. I didn’t even watch the preview and I already knew most of what was on the article

4 hours ago, Triangular said:

That is a bit of an arbitrary slipperly slope as it is...  I mean, the amount of "Fully Spoiled" Previews vs "Something was left out" would be an interesting metric to see, but I'm convinced that its not polarised, even - we have had some fully, and some partial...  So expecting Full at a minimum is a bit...  Naff, really.

In the end.  It was an Article.  It previewed things.  It makes no matter if you already saw the information in a spread elsewhere, for quite a few people, this was their preview, so it counts.  

Wether we like it or not.  We should be happy anything made it to the News and Announcements page, rather than complaining further:)

By all means, complain in the end - I just figure, give it a week or two :)