xero989

SSD article up!

1 minute ago, Derpzilla88 said:

I do have to wonder how a rebel fleet is supposed to take down an Executor-class Star Dreadnaught in sector fleet games. Even with the extra fleet points, chewing through at least 11 shields and 33 hull while having 8-10 dice being thrown back at you seems... difficult. Not even counting the rest of the Imperial fleet.

Still, I am glad the SSD is so strong in Sector Fleet. It would feel like a waste of points (and money) if it couldn't hold its own and be the apex battleship on the field.

You everliving Dodge the **** out of its Front Half...  Its Rear half is...  Survivable in comparison.

BUt really, its the equivelant of 3 ISDs for a f ew more points....  What can kill 3 ISDs, can kill it...

21 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

You everliving Dodge the **** out of its Front Half...  Its Rear half is...  Survivable in comparison.

BUt really, its the equivelant of 3 ISDs for a f ew more points....  What can kill 3 ISDs, can kill it...

But what when someone brings TWO of them!  

Just now, Bertie Wooster said:

Why does the Executor-I class Star Dreadnought have 4 blank upgrade slots?

The II also appears to have a blank slot. swm20_a2_executor-1-class.png

swm20_a2_executor-2-class.png

This is different from the pamphlet that released in December which I believe had those filled in:
shipcard_SSD_executor1.png

shipcard_SSD_executor2.png

To me this means 1 of 2 things:

1.) the reason for the delay is related to balance and those slots have not been confirmed 100%

2.) The more likely, is that the marketing department doesn't have the most up to date info and used pictures of the unfinished cards. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Weyoun42 said:

One thing you really have to think about with SSD's is even before they're destroyed, how crippled are they going to be?  I mean, 33 hull, sure, but if you're sitting on eight or ten or MORE face-up damage cards?  Woof.

Good point.

actually, is there enough damage cards in a deck?

Edited by RuusMarev
additional thought...

6 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

Good point.

There should be, but since I supply all the ships for both sides of almost all of my games, I will probably NEED to get a second deck now through a cheap core set or eBay.  Unless one of the things announced upcoming is expanded and/or standalone damage decks.

18 minutes ago, Weyoun42 said:

There should be, but since I supply all the ships for both sides of almost all of my games, I will probably NEED to get a second deck now through a cheap core set or eBay.  Unless one of the things announced upcoming is expanded and/or standalone damage decks.

Like X-Wing Epic deck? that would be interesting, and easier..

59 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Why does the Executor-I class Star Dreadnought have 4 blank upgrade slots?

Looks like they had trouble with the images - maybe a compression issue. If you compare with the last ship card they published - for the Cymoon - you can see it isn't just the Fleet Command icons that have gone wrong. All of them seem to have lost some ... I want to say contrast (I don't know much about image editing)? They've all lost some detail, and I guess the Fleet Command icon lines are so narrow they've all disappeared.

Hopefully that's just their graphic, not the actual cards.

I do have to wonder how a rebel fleet is supposed to take down an Executor-class Star Dreadnaught in sector fleet games.

From my limited experience on Vassal, concentrated attacks and ECMs. The SSD struggles with Defense Tokens (hence the Emperor Palpatine cards, I assume). It burns through its own tokens fairly quickly (because everyone is shooting at it), and while it is getting off massive shots, it should only get off one per enemy ship - so they don't have to worry as much about spending Defense Tokens.

Compare it with 3 ISDs. Same hull, similar shields, but half the attacks, and fewer Defense Tokens. With Gunnery Teams on those ISDs, they'll be putting out maybe 24 dice a round. Between them they have 3 braces, 6 redirects and 3 contains. And they can move. With Gunnery Team the SSD may be putting out more dice, but has to split its fire. So assuming three enemy MC80s (although 4 isn't unreasonable), they'll be able to brace each attack, but the SSD won't be able to brace all the returning main attacks.

33 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

Good point.

52 cards in damage deck and I have drained it before using XX9s and Dodonna. It’s a fun time. 

22 Hull for a regular game. Not too bad considering it is 22 Hull for equivalent points in ISDs

The graphical difference is actually very common when looking at graphics designed for print and transferred to digital. Print is commonly CYMK (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Key ((BlacK))) where digital display is often RGB (Red, Green, Blue). Print also frequently adds a few extra colors into their production system such as White, Clear, RGB, Gold, ect. So when planning for something to be printed, you can plan for things to be as thin as you want them to be for print, the printer, press, or whatever machine they use will likely have it done up.

Until you transfer it to .JPEG to show on a screen. Between transferring Color Mode (which compresses the image once) then compressing/saving as a .JPEG variant (second compression level), then uploading to a site (third compression) your going to loose something. Its why all of the upgrade icons don't show their fine lines. That much compression and the file is working with what it can get away with. And with how much weird fine graphical detail the cards are trying to get away with, I'm surprised that its just the upgrade icons that are suffering.

1 hour ago, RuusMarev said:

Actually I'm a little concerned about this. I ran an 800 point game where my opponent ran out of damage cards. It is possible (especially in a 1v1 1200 point game ) to run out. I know it's unlikely, but I hope they release the damage deck or a damage deck expansion specifically for sector fleet games. 

10 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Actually I'm a little concerned about this. I ran an 800 point game where my opponent ran out of damage cards. It is possible (especially in a 1v1 1200 point game ) to run out. I know it's unlikely, but I hope they release the damage deck or a damage deck expansion specifically for sector fleet games. 

How did you have 52 damage cards assigned without a ship dying?

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

The II also appears to have a blank slot. swm20_a2_executor-1-class.png

swm20_a2_executor-2-class.png

This is different from the pamphlet that released in December which I believe had those filled in:
shipcard_SSD_executor1.png

shipcard_SSD_executor2.png

To me this means 1 of 2 things:

1.) the reason for the delay is related to balance and those slots have not been confirmed 100%

2.) The more likely, is that the marketing department doesn't have the most up to date info and used pictures of the unfinished cards. 

Neither

Look closelet, and you will see they are fleet command - just high contrast rendered.

9 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Ships did die, which is why it wasn't a major issue. But the end of round 4 was basically  3 ISDs with 8-10 cards and interdictor with 8, and a bunch of small ships with 2-3 each. It was a mess. If he'd have had Motti we'd have run out likely. At 1200, I can't even imagine. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

If that isn't including discarded cards, probably means someone did some very inefficient shooting. You'd still need. something like 5 ISDs worth of hull, with Motti?

With two of the high-point SSDs that could be an issue; 66 hull between them, might not be that unreasonable to need 52 damage cards in play at any one point.

Just now, Darth Sanguis said:

Ships did die, which is why it wasn't a major issue.

The rules cover this explicitly: "If there are no cards remaining in the damage card deck when a damage card must be drawn or looked at, shuffle the discard pile to form a new damage deck." So Dodonna doesn't cause any problems because the three you reject go into the discard pile, so become part of the new deck. It only becomes a problem when you have 52 damage cards in use at once - so you need 52 + 1 per ship hull in total.

Edited by Grumbleduke

Just now, The Jabbawookie said:

Do not underestimate the power of the Quasar.

They can all take Dcaps and Boarding Troopers/Gunnery Team, too. 😀  And there's still 136 points of ships to add as well...

I mean, I played a 1200pt game that was 5x SSD vs 10x ISD, and we got by with one damage deck each.

However.

Although its not "official", the best answer we have is "Track Face-Down cards with Tokens, and leave Cards for Face up", and you have a solution that works in 99% of cases.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I mean, I played a 1200pt game that was 5x SSD vs 10x ISD, and we got by with one damage deck each.

However.

Although its not "official", the best answer we have is "Track Face-Down cards with Tokens, and leave Cards for Face up", and you have a solution that works in 99% of cases.

Unless Boarding Engineers and Precision Strike. Which are both EXTREMELY common as we all know

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

The rules cover this explicitly: "If there are no cards remaining in the damage card deck when a damage card must be drawn or looked at, shuffle the discard pile to form a new damage deck." So Dodonna doesn't cause any problems because the three you reject go into the discard pile, so become part of the new deck. It only becomes a problem when you have 52 damage cards in use at once - so you need 52 + 1 per ship hull in total.

I'm aware. I have skimmed the RRG at least once....

The point I'm trying to make is, with the new sector fleet rules, it can be an issue, especially at the maximum.

I came close at 800 points, considering the events of the 4th round, had I rolled poorly it may have been an issue (which we'd have likely dealt with Dras' way). At 1200 it may not even be hard to do.

I own 5 ISDs, that barely fills half of a 1200 point game... yet it's nearly enough to soak all the damage cards by itself, add motti or an SSD... 

All I'm saying is it CAN happen. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis