Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Burgie1996

Enchanted Blade

Recommended Posts

With the release of The Secret Name not long away I just wanted to start a discussion on the card “Enchanted Blade”. We can only see a glimpse of it in a picture with other dual class cards but I’m so pumped for it! 

What is everyone’s speculation of what the card does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rsdockery said:

According to some of the comments, it apparently uses up one hand and one arcane slot.

In a weird way, that makes it almost more practical for a guardian than a mystic because you aren't already going to be using those mystic slots. But guardians have access to a lot of weapons already. 🤔

Edited by Soakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see a lot of starting Machete and Enchanted Blade decks for Guardians.  They fill a lot of the same role and having 4 chances to draw it is about twice as good as 2 chances.

I also do see it as more useful on a character that has less of a need for those mystic slots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Allonym said:

My prediction was very close to the Survivor card, in fact.

Speaking of that Survivor card, clearly Peter Sylvestre has to be involved, but is it more twisted if Wendy Adams scavenged it, or if Carolyn Fern is performing unauthorized lobotomies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Soakman said:

In a weird way, that makes it almost more practical for a guardian than a mystic because you aren't already going to be using those mystic slots. But guardians have access to a lot of weapons already. 🤔

It's a +2 weapon at level 0, so I could see Skids and Diana liking it a lot. Even the high-combat Guardians can use it to finish off Wraiths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rsdockery said:

It's a +2 weapon at level 0, so I could see Skids and Diana liking it a lot. Even the high-combat Guardians can use it to finish off Wraiths.

That's true. If you know you're going to need a relic to tackle enemies in a scenario, it's a more consistent and cost-effective draw than buying 2 time-worn brands or ornate bows. I think it's a pretty good fit to Diana too as most of her cancel spells are events and not assets.

I think Jim with his base 3 fight may also like it depending on how you're using him. If you are not going spells and are focusing on mitigating the chaos bag by taking accessories and statues, it still leaves you with room for a protective incantation and he could also use Elli as splash to find it quickly. But it will still burn 2 of his 5 splash slots if you bring 2 of them. which is not great. But maybe the upgraded Mystic only option (if there is one) might be a better fit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SamWeiss said:

Speaking of that Survivor card, clearly Peter Sylvestre has to be involved, but is it more twisted if Wendy Adams scavenged it, or if Carolyn Fern is performing unauthorized lobotomies?

Funny you should say that, I just published a deck where Carolyn uses the cleaver for rather unethical purposes: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/10564/the-butcher-of-arkham-asylum-1.0

I think Wendy is better off sticking to normal troubling orphan child exploits, like stabbing people in the back and picking their pockets...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Allonym said:

Funny you should say that, I just published a deck where Carolyn uses the cleaver for rather unethical purposes: https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/10564/the-butcher-of-arkham-asylum-1.0

I think Wendy is better off sticking to normal troubling orphan child exploits, like stabbing people in the back and picking their pockets...

Nice.
I think between the cleaver and .45 Thompson, Carolyn is going to have some serious explaining to do when she next appears before the medical board for an ethics review. For a Guardian with a 2 fight who cannot take level 1-5 weapons this pack is making her violently effective. (Or is that effectively violent?)

 

As for Wendy, not even the good Doctor could help Peter after he spent that night with Wendy, her cleaver, and those cultists. The worst part was the way Wendy giggled each time she . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SamWeiss said:

Nice.
I think between the cleaver and .45 Thompson, Carolyn is going to have some serious explaining to do when she next appears before the medical board for an ethics review. For a Guardian with a 2 fight who cannot take level 1-5 weapons this pack is making her violently effective. (Or is that effectively violent?)

 

As for Wendy, not even the good Doctor could help Peter after he spent that night with Wendy, her cleaver, and those cultists. The worst part was the way Wendy giggled each time she . . .

I mean, Carolyn is already experimenting on poor Peter Sylvestre with aversion therapy with Forbidden Knowledge and copious amounts of Painkillers - and then charging him for the treatment. The fact that she can get paid for giving people Liquid Courage is awesome because one of the ways to get alcohol legally during prohibition was to get a prescription from a doctor...

Edited by Allonym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, Allonym said:

Without spoiling things for you here, the player cards for The Secret Name were spoiled just today (e.g. on Reddit) , so such speculation seems a bit redundant now.

Correction, they were spoiled Saturday, reddit is just last to the party like usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think its terrific.

First off, with or without charges its +1 fight. You can use it to hack at 1 and 2 hp enemies without care and to help finish a bigger foe that some other attack has taken down to 1 hp.

The +2 to hit is very nice, flexible characters like Skids and Diana can use it to match a Guardian in strength for a few attacks and because of the +2 strength you have more incentive to play it even if Machete or .45 is already on the table. 

The charged bonus in combination to infinite use means that you might "save" lots of charges as compared to another weapon when fighting odd-hp foes.

In bigger player counts where Machette isnt quite as useful Enchanted blade really closes the distance, meaning that machete is not quite the end-all Guardian weapon anymore. I can see an endgame build for a combat character being: 2x Enchanted blade, 2x Lightning gun, 2x Survival knife + Bandoiler, Prepared for the worst and other combat support.

 

All in all, Enchanted blade will replace .45 and .38 completely in my decks until the fresh-new feeling is gone and even then, I predict it'll be a long term staple.

Edited by tsuruki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tsuruki said:

The charged bonus in combination to infinite use means that you might "save" lots of charges as compared to another weapon when fighting odd-hp foes.

It took me a while to figure out what you were saying here. It's that you don't have to use a charge, so if you're fighting someone with 3 health you can use 1 charge to do 2 damage. And then 0 charges to do 1. Resulting in 1 use versus a gun that you'd have to use a bullet both times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey a question...the way the text is on the card, it looks like it does +1 to hit, then regular 1 Damage without using a charge. 

If you use a charge, it  looks like it does +1 to hit, +1 Damage - otherwise it might say something like "if you use a charge, you do +2 to hit and +1 Damage".

But a lot of folks are saying that one charge = +2 to hit, +1 damage. Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey there, is there an official ruling on this in the FAQ? I'm just geared to read FFG's text as non-favourable to the player:)

The text says you get +1 to hit, and if you use a charge, you get +1 to hit and +1 Damage. 

If it gives a total of +2 to hit from using a charge, I'd expect it to explicitly say you get +2 to hit and +1 damage (it didn't say "an extra +1 to hit" etc. etc..)

 

Edited by Krysmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jobu said:

Can we start speculating on what the L3 Enchanted Blades do?

These were just recently spoiled on Reddit if you really want to know. I think maybe by Mythos Busters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...