Tlfj200

Understanding Your Win Condition In X-Wing (Who's The Beatdown)

Posted (edited)

Half points has made win conditions *a lot* more interesting.  Half points on small base ships and the general tilt to some variance in regards to defense dice (soontir is now able to be hurt) makes it a constant game of point assessments.  One thing I suggest is having a printout of your list and a well marked spot on what your half points are.  Also, don't be scared to ask your opponent what their ships points and half points are.  I've found so many matches in 2.0 have been decided by less than 10 points that math'ing out half points throughout the match is critical.  

I really appreciated the callout on list building and self reflection of losing.  If you find that you are losing a lot of games (and with the same type of lists) you really do need to think about what is going on.  Does your list just suck, or are you using it wrong?  If you don't know the answer, hit eject and don't be scared to look up list fortress on what is placing well.  Then hit up youtube for major events and watch how other players fly it.  

Edited by viedit

Outstanding, @Tlfj200

1 hour ago, viedit said:

Also, don't be scared to ask your opponent what their ships points and half points are.  I've found so many matches in 2.0 have been decided by less than 10 points that math'ing out half points throughout the match is critical.  

My new solution is Launchbay Next: scan the QR code, open the built-in calculator, check the different half points. Takes 30s to do and is very convenient for both. Bonus points if you show and explain to your opponent what and why you are doing this.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, viedit said:

Also, don't be scared to ask your opponent what their ships points and half points are.  I've found so many matches in 2.0 have been decided by less than 10 points that math'ing out half points throughout the match is critical.  

This is probably a bad thing to do, but I actually talk with my opponent a lot of the time at the end of the game so that we both understand the game state. I prefer to win when we at least both know what is going on.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

3 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

This is probably a bad thing to do, but I actually talk with my opponent a lot of the time at the end of the game so that we both understand the game state. I prefer to win when we at least both know what is going on.

I feel obligated to inform my opponent of both the time and points if I check either.

if I know, they should know.

Just now, Tlfj200 said:

I feel obligated to inform my opponent of both the time and points if I check either.

if I know, they should know.

Yup. Also your article is leading me down a bad path because now I want to run Han/Wedge again because it has such strong different win conditions. Just they if 4 ships+ look at Han, it will never hit any of those conditions.

Thinking some more about it, and relating it to a 5 Awing list: if I understand correctly, 5 Awings generally are the beatdown against many if not most higher initiative lists. And they are the control against other swarms or hight ship count lists like 5Y, Bwings, TIE swarms etc. Of course these roles can and do change within a game, but I think it's fair to say that these roles are where the matchups start generally.

The list is interesting for me because even as beatdown, it plays a bit like control, and even as control, it plays a bit like beatdown. As beatdown, you generally don't want to straight up joust due to the only 4HP. And as control, you are likely still going to trade and hopefully trade up. 5 Awings to me feels like the switch between control and beatdown is extremely seamless and much faster/effortless than with many other lists. What do you think @Tlfj200?

30 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Thinking some more about it, and relating it to a 5 Awing list: if I understand correctly, 5 Awings generally are the beatdown against many if not most higher initiative lists. And they are the control against other swarms or hight ship count lists like 5Y, Bwings, TIE swarms etc. Of course these roles can and do change within a game, but I think it's fair to say that these roles are where the matchups start generally.

The list is interesting for me because even as beatdown, it plays a bit like control, and even as control, it plays a bit like beatdown. As beatdown, you generally don't want to straight up joust due to the only 4HP. And as control, you are likely still going to trade and hopefully trade up. 5 Awings to me feels like the switch between control and beatdown is extremely seamless and much faster/effortless than with many other lists. What do you think @Tlfj200?

I was going through the same thought process with the 4 Sabers + X list I've been flying.

Always have a think about the points values and half points values of ships and how easy they are to get. It's often surprising how cheap or expensive ships are compared to what your gut says they should be:

• "Midnight" is over 40 points even with no upgrades, for example, whilst RZ-2 aces are less than 40.
  • Whaling on Vennie is a quick way to waste attack power.
  • "Null" and "Pure Sabbac" don't just give up half points, they also lose a lot of their threat level when damaged to the point that once they're damaged, someone else might well be a more important target than finishing them off.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:57 AM, SDCC said:

The link isn't working for me - "Can't be reached".

Sounds like a good subject and something I should be far more aware of.

Is it still not working?

On 3/11/2019 at 5:57 AM, SDCC said:

The link isn't working for me - "Can't be reached".

Sounds like a good subject and something I should be far more aware of.

I can reach it fine. Maybe you're signed into a google account that can't access content from outside your network, like a school or work email.

4 minutes ago, Mattman7306 said:

I can reach it fine. Maybe you're signed into a google account that can't access content from outside your network, like a school or work email.

We must bypass these networks.

THEY CAN'T STOP THE SIGNAL! (they can stop the signal)