mcintma

Nib cost me the game

Posted (edited)

Last turn. Kylo lands with half the nib (just the very tip of the nib) held up on the outjut of that asteroid.  This meant the planned BR+boost [Edited from focus/BR - gettin old] to get out of Wexley's arc doesn't happen and range 1 shot on the 1-health Bastian ahead of Kylo (just off camera) is lost. *And* flying thru a 'roid next turn (not SNR Kylo) had there been time.

Lost the game by a couple points on MOV (store tourney). Argh! all that for a stupid nib-tip.  Sorry, needed to vent ;) wondering how common this is for fellow players ?

IMG_1344_small.JPG

Edited by mcintma
memory lapse

8 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The real question is do you mean barrel roll/boost to get out of his arc? The BR alone doesn't appear capable.

BR left and forwards looks like it'd end up being a hair out. At least to me tracing the arc line on Wexely.

5 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

I get uncomfortably close whilst not actually hitting obstacles, more often, but I feel your pain.

The real question is do you mean barrel roll/boost to get out of his arc? The BR alone doesn't appear capable.

LOL probably, I was seeing red after that overlap so my memory is fuzzy. I've watched a fair amount of streams and haven't seen this yet. I guess it just feels nuts to lose so much for a nib-tip, but I suppose the rules are simpler by saying 'nib is part of ship'. But ... just ... aaargh! ;)

15 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

BR left and forwards looks like it'd end up being a hair out. At least to me tracing the arc line on Wexely.

To me, he’s clearly almost entirely in arc, in which case moving half a ship’s length forward wouldn’t help. Not that any of this matters at this point. But that’s what I see. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

To me, he’s clearly almost entirely in arc, in which case moving half a ship’s length forward wouldn’t help. Not that any of this matters at this point. But that’s what I see. 

His nose looks like it is point towards Temmin just enough to cause him to have been barely out of arc after a BR left and forwards. Still as you said it is a moot point. :)

40 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

They could’ve barrel rolled then ensured being out of arc by triggering Autothrusters for a boost but alas for being a half millimetre on the rock 😊 many feels for you @mcintma

23 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

(Sh)it happens; this is part of the beauty of the game, sometimes this happens to you, sometimes to your opponent.

Personally, I love these close calls - it gives the game that amazingly unpredictable turn-on-a-dime flavour

I hear ya, but for me the nib just feels extra insulting as it’s just a prop for movement, and on the “sometimes your opponent” front I sure hope so, none have been so kind as to ever do that for me tho ;) 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mcintma said:

Lost the game by a couple points on MOV (store tourney). Argh! all that for a stupid nib-tip.  Sorry, needed to vent ;) wondering how common this is for fellow players ?

It happened to me in 1st edition.  I was 2-0 at a tournament and I got paired against Patrick, who has won the Vancouver Regionals two or three times.  I was running 2 x7 Delta Defenders and Quickdraw.  I did a 5 straight with my Defender and landed on the other side of Quickdraw.  The rear nib of the Defender hit the front nib of Quickdraw, which made it a bump.  That meant no free evade token, no focus action, and that defender was destroyed that turn.

Even some solid flying the rest of the match couldn't recover against an opponent of that caliber.  I then lost the last match too to go 2-2 on the day.

Edited by MortalPlague

1 minute ago, MortalPlague said:

It happened to me in 1st edition.  I was 2-0 at a tournament and I got paired against Patrick, who has won the Vancouver Regionals two or three times.  I was running 2 x7 Delta Defenders and Quickdraw.  I did a 5 straight with my Defender and landed on the other side of Quickdraw.  The rear nib of the Defender hit the front nib of Quickdraw, which made it a bump.  That meant no free evade token, no focus action, and that defender was destroyed that turn.

Even some solid flying the rest of the match couldn't recover against an opponent of that caliber.  I then lost the last match too to go 2-2 on the day.

Brutal, only thing worse than nib overlap is nib-on-nib!  😂

6 hours ago, MortalPlague said:

It happened to me in 1st edition.  I was 2-0 at a tournament and I got paired against Patrick, who has won the Vancouver Regionals two or three times.  I was running 2 x7 Delta Defenders and Quickdraw.  I did a 5 straight with my Defender and landed on the other side of Quickdraw.  The rear nib of the Defender hit the front nib of Quickdraw, which made it a bump.  

In my experience that happens a lot more often than the nib-nubs clipping an object. You would beautifully execute a perfect maneuver, snuggly fitting base to base with a half millimeter in between, for that perfect formation or killshot. Only to bump the outmost part of one of the stupid nib-nubs.

2 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Since the templates and cardboard bases have lines to match up, I feel like the nubs aren't needed anymore.

I'll sign whatever petition ends up happening to end the nubs altogether.

#nubsareoldfashioned

OMG you have my axe!

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Since the templates and cardboard bases have lines to match up, I feel like the nubs aren't needed anymore.

I'll sign whatever petition ends up happening to end the nubs altogether.

#nubsareoldfashioned

But then you lose the nub-to-template wiggle room, which can save you from landing on something, or bumping.

Edited by kris40k

3 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

wow that looks like poor sportsmanship to call that an overlap to me. some people just gotta win though

How is that poor sportsmanship? That would be called an overlap in every instance because it’s clearly overlapping by the rules. The only time I wouldn’t enforce that is if it was a teaching game and it was a new player, same way I wouldn’t care if their base edge went off the mat or something.

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

wow that looks like poor sportsmanship to call that an overlap to me. some people just gotta win though

But, that's not poor sportsmanship. Poor sportsmanship would be laughing or cheering when they clipped the rock. 

Good sportsmanship would be to share in their excitement or disappointment. Congratulate them on a good idea, but let them know how unlucky they were it was that close. Good sportsmanship is about the attitude behind the game, not how closely or loosely you stick with the rules. 

In fact, guilting your opponent with accusations of poor sportsmanship for not letting you move the ship off from the rock is poor sportsmanship.. 

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

Huh? He hit the rock - only just, but still clearly on it. Playing to the rules isn't bad sportsmanship. As others have said, bad sportsmanship would be gloating about it afterwards or telling the player it was a poor move.

I'd also emphatically agree with @player2072913 that the real display of bad sportsmanship would be accusing others of being poor sports because you're the one that flew onto a rock (or when you're not the one that did it, calling out others as being poor sports anyway). That sort of passive-aggressive guilt-trip has no place in the game.

8 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

This is the weirdest usage of "sportsmanship" I have ever seen.

Can you imagine?  "Well, I mean... technically the ball was clearly out of the fair play field and past the foul line... but just barely.  So we're gonna go ahead and call it a homerun instead of a foul ball... we'd hate to be bad sports!"