Currently we have Commander, Operative, Corps, Special Forces, Support and Heavy.

It seems like everything can in some way be placed in one of the above categories, but it just seems a short list. Maybe that’s a good idea. I tend to gravitate toward overly complex, so maybe the simpler, the better. Then again, wouldn’t it be nice to have more options?

Maybe something like Artillery, or maybe a technical unit that has some kind of special abilities, but the whole unit is non-combatant like an engineering corps.

Do you think we’ll ever get another rank, and if so what would it be?

Artillery would surely be support, as that's how they're usually classified in military terms.

I don't think we'll get another rank, as what exists can cover all eventualities. As a writer/editor, my natural instinct is to say 'why use x words when one will do?'

Since this is primarily an infantry based game, I'm betting any new ones would fall under more infantry unit types than more bigger weapons like artillery (even though that would be awesome).

There are two that I would like to see.

One would be a rank below Operative for other characters that don't really fit the commander or operative role. Examples could be characters from the Rebel's Ghost crew, Rogue One cast, etc where they could simply be a one mini unit, costs 60-80 points decent health and courage value with maybe one command card to offer. Maximum of 1-2. I guess we'll see what other character become operatives to see if another character rank is necessary.

Second would be a "flyer" unit class. I think the T-47 should have been in this separately with rules for coming on the board in later turns and being able to do strafing runs to exit and return to the board. It basically operates like an attack helicopter when in the movie its moving pretty fast the entire time. I think being able to come on the board later on would be a way of increasing its longevity. The Clone Wars seems to have a lot more low level aircraft that could be used in a flyer class too so maybe a distinction could be made between heavy support and flying units.

I don't think we will. Artillery falls into the category of either Support or Heavy depending on the chassis (self propelled artillery vehicle is probably Heavy, while mortars would probably be Support). In the real world at least, the typical "engineering corps" on the frontlines are combat engineers, trained to fight as well as perform engineering tasks (unofficial mottos often take the form of "First we dig 'em, then we die in 'em").  Regardless, such a unit definitely falls under "Support" since their role is to support the rest of the army. 

Most games that have such ranks only have a few, since part of the whole point of ranks is to limit the combination of units possible. By having the AT-RT, Tauntauns, and 1.4 FD all considered Support, it prevents a player from having 3 Support Vehicle AT-RTS, 3 Support Trooper Tauntaun, and 3 Support Artillery 1.4 FDs. You can only have a total of 3 from those three units, and the selection will create a particular flavour/playstyle for your army. 

Artillery can fall into heavy, support, or corp depending on how it is introduced.  Heavy self propelled guns, support towed guns or larger crew served mortars, corp small man portable mortars most likely a heavy squad anti infantry weapon

I suspect we're near a sweet spot right now, just because of the way random activations work. Adding another rank wouldn't really do much for the game, certainly at 800 points.

Say you are going to take 3 Imp bikers, that's 3 support chits in the bag. If you are fielding an AT-ST there's not likely going to be much more than one or two other Heavy, support or SF chits to draw. Adding another category at this stage isn't going to add depth to random draw mechanics, list building, etc.

19 minutes ago, Digimortal said:

Maybe a "Pests" rank for Ewoks, Gungans & Kowakian monkey-lizards

I would actually like a rank for wild animals. Rancors, wampas, etc. It gets two order tokens, one for each player, and it activates twice a turn, rampaging around eating anyone it can.

"Pests" would include... nevermind. Flamewar averted.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

I would actually like a rank for wild animals. Rancors, wampas, etc. It gets two order tokens, one for each player, and it activates twice a turn, rampaging around eating anyone it can.

"Pests" would include... nevermind. Flamewar averted.

I'd almost prefer a special scenario for a Rancor, similar to the destroyed AT-ST stuff. Rather than both sides getting a single activation (which might result in "Creature moves towards one side, then runs back" or "Charge, then Disengage") randomizing movement through direction an attack die points, similar to how the Frostgrave "AI" works. "Wild Animals" could also be handled as a Condition card.

The only new unit rank that sounds ok for me is the "Named Squad". You can call it "Legendary" or "Heroic" rank, i do not care, but it would be 0-1 and it would allow you to incorporate a named ultra elite unit in the game. Something like "Inferno squad" or "SCAR squad" for the Empire and some Spectres (not Sabine or jedis) for the rebels. This rank cannot be "a group of operatives" but a truly expensive unit of "miniheroes".

I do not know, I do not like even this rank created by me. I prefer to stay like we are now. Maybe I would create a rule in which you can eliminate 3 rank building options for your army (like 3 supports) and gain a 4th elite option for your army. I would add that you cannot build an army with 4 equal elite/support units. This is not a rule to get 4 strike teams or 4 ATRTs but it would be ok to have the possibility to play 2 bikes + 2 ewebs or 2 death troopers + 2 strike teams if you like (maybe the 4th option does have a special token so you do not stack 4 support tokens). Again, too much complicated, I prefer the actual ruling.

I think wild animals like rancors and wampa should be a special battle field condition or terrain piece, like say a cave entrance.  triggering it by come within say, range 1 of the cave entrance cause either a rancor or a squad of wampas to come out and mess you up.  Once up they rampage across the board...mynach swarms, pog nets, nexu hunter, uncovering a sarlac pit, bantha stampede 

17 minutes ago, Thalandar said:

I think wild animals like rancors and wampa should be a special battle field condition or terrain piece, like say a cave entrance.  triggering it by come within say, range 1 of the cave entrance cause either a rancor or a squad of wampas to come out and mess you up.  Once up they rampage across the board...mynach swarms, pog nets, nexu hunter, uncovering a sarlac pit, bantha stampede 

This. Please FFG, Wild animal condition in the next "scenery expansion box".