Jump to content
cosmonaut

Comms Technician: Why take the basic personnel?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

(I searched and could not find this topic, but I apologize if this has been addressed already.)

When the specialist unit boxes came out, I was a little confused why the comms technicians cost fewer points than either of the basic personnel upgrades (on both sides), but I figured maybe the devs decided that the basic personnel are undercosted since people rarely run corps units with basic personnel.

However, now that I have seen the news update for the new Rebel Veterans corps unit, I noticed that the extra rebel veteran cost 3 more points than the comms tech.

It seems that the extra two points to add comms relay is insignificant if I am using twelve points for a regular extra mini anyway.

Am I wrong? Why would I run a basic personnel unit?

 

Edited by cosmonaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to take a Comms Upgrade with the Technician. 

So, it still costs at least 14pts to add to a unit, 9pts for Tech, 5pts for Comms Relay(the cheapest current Comms Upgrade).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BenBot

I am aware that I have to take a comms upgrade, but as I was saying in my topic post, adding a comms tech and a comms relay is only two points more than the basic mini for the new Rebel Veterans. My question and the topic is why would I take the basic miniature for only two points less when I could have that same extra miniature and a relay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cosmonaut said:

@BenBot

I am aware that I have to take a comms upgrade, but as I was saying in my topic post, adding a comms tech and a comms relay is only two points more than the basic mini for the new Rebel Veterans. My question and the topic is why would I take the basic miniature for only two points less when I could have that same extra miniature and a relay?

Because:

  • You don't have 2 points to spend
  • You don't have that many communications specialists miniatures
  • The communications miniature is in the wrong uniform for Rebel Veterans anyway
  • Yet another comms upgrade might be wasted on your playstyle

I'm sure there's other reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cosmonaut said:

@BenBot

I am aware that I have to take a comms upgrade, but as I was saying in my topic post, adding a comms tech and a comms relay is only two points more than the basic mini for the new Rebel Veterans. My question and the topic is why would I take the basic miniature for only two points less when I could have that same extra miniature and a relay?

unless you plan on playing Covering fire why would you need the Comm relay ?, if you don't then why not save 2 points and stick Recon intel on someone else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Because:

  • You don't have 2 points to spend
  • You don't have that many communications specialists miniatures
  • The communications miniature is in the wrong uniform for Rebel Veterans anyway
  • Yet another comms upgrade might be wasted on your playstyle

I'm sure there's other reasons.

Ah, thanks. I guess when it comes down to it, two points can be much more essential elsewhere in the list.

I'm not sure I understand the wrong uniform point, though.

57 minutes ago, Darth evil said:

unless you plan on playing Covering fire why would you need the Comm relay ?, if you don't then why not save 2 points and stick Recon intel on someone else 

This is probably what I need help understanding. Why is comms relay not a good card? I'm new to legion and haven't played many games, but it would seem to me that having just two comms relays positioned correctly is nearly as good as having both commanding presence and battle meditation. So, in my head, it seems like a steal for four points instead of twenty (again, assuming I intended to take basic personnel on the Rebel Veterans anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cosmonaut said:

Ah, thanks. I guess when it comes down to it, two points can be much more essential elsewhere in the list.

I'm not sure I understand the wrong uniform point, though.

This is probably what I need help understanding. Why is comms relay not a good card? I'm new to legion and haven't played many games, but it would seem to me that having just two comms relays positioned correctly is nearly as good as having both commanding presence and battle meditation. So, in my head, it seems like a steal for four points instead of twenty (again, assuming I intended to take basic personnel on the Rebel Veterans anyway).

basically the use of Comms relay is to effectively give the order your unit would be issued to another unit which would not be able to be issued that order . Examples of this would be Covering Fire which requires you to give the 3 orders to 3 CORPS units. with Comm Relay you could instead give 2 to CORPS units and 1 to either Luke so another important special forces unit.But most command cards say Trooper unit so Comms relay really doesn't do much unless the unit you want to get an order is too far from your commander, in which case you could chain the command to a unit with comm relay within 3 of your commander to a unit outside your commanders reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also, Rebel Veterans are not the best choice for Comms Relay, as they benefit greately from beeing issued an order, and when they pass their token to sb else via Relay, they dont't get to benefit form Coordinate and Defend 1. 

Edit: they would however love them some HQ uplinks :

Edited by Shanturin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

But most command cards say Trooper unit so Comms relay really doesn't do much

 

So, you saying that part of the value is wasted since armies are composed almost entirely of troopers anyway? Would comms relay's value increase if the landspeeder and new vehicle upgrades increased the number of non-troopers played?

6 minutes ago, Shanturin said:

Also, Rebel Veterans are not the best choice for Comms Relay, as they benefit greately from beeing issued an order, and when they pass their token to sb else via Relay, they dont't get to benefit form Coordinate and Defend 1. 

Edit: they would however love them some HQ uplinks :

That's a really good point, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, cosmonaut said:

Ah, thanks. I guess when it comes down to it, two points can be much more essential elsewhere in the list.

I'm not sure I understand the wrong uniform point, though.

This is probably what I need help understanding. Why is comms relay not a good card? I'm new to legion and haven't played many games, but it would seem to me that having just two comms relays positioned correctly is nearly as good as having both commanding presence and battle meditation. So, in my head, it seems like a steal for four points instead of twenty (again, assuming I intended to take basic personnel on the Rebel Veterans anyway).

Neither Commanding Presence nor Battle Meditation are considered very good cards, FYI. You're better off positioning your units to score objectives or kill stuff than trying to imitate the abilities of sub-par cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 8:38 PM, Darth evil said:

basically the use of Comms relay is to effectively give the order your unit would be issued to another unit which would not be able to be issued that order . Examples of this would be Covering Fire which requires you to give the 3 orders to 3 CORPS units. with Comm Relay you could instead give 2 to CORPS units and 1 to either Luke so another important special forces unit.But most command cards say Trooper unit so Comms relay really doesn't do much unless the unit you want to get an order is too far from your commander, in which case you could chain the command to a unit with comm relay within 3 of your commander to a unit outside your commanders reach.

Comms Relay doesn't care about unit type, even if the cards says "trooper units" you can Comms Relay an order to an AT-RT or Speeder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, TauntaunScout said:

It's a serious aesthetic issue.

So do you then have a problem with the fact that the pathfinder leader (not Pao) dressed in Hoth gear but no one else in the squad is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 1:58 PM, arnoldrew said:

Neither Commanding Presence nor Battle Meditation are considered very good cards, FYI. You're better off positioning your units to score objectives or kill stuff than trying to imitate the abilities of sub-par cards.

I use commading presence all the time, not sure why you think its not very good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Thalandar said:

So do you then have a problem with the fact that the pathfinder leader (not Pao) dressed in Hoth gear but no one else in the squad is?

Nope. People wore it in the actual movie, usually in a different color. It's the same style but presumably very different material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Thalandar said:

I use commading presence all the time, not sure why you think its not very good

Well, it's not bad. It just not necessary and expensive. I usually have a better use for these points :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, Thalandar said:

I use commading presence all the time, not sure why you think its not very good

Well, it is a bit expensive for my taste and a lot of times you do not use it because of where the objectives/deploy zones are. But there are also times when I want that range 4 and I do not have it. Anyway, I prefer to spend those points in things I am sure I am going to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...