Sign in to follow this  
alcuin18

Replayability

Here's a question for the veteran players. In your opinion, other than saga expansion quests which are the top 2 or 3 quests that have the most replay value? I realize that this could be somewhat subjective based on what type of quest you like and on your deck choice but I mean based strictly on the story and quest cards. It can be print on demand or regular. Thanks!

So here's the thing. I replay quests mostly to test new decks, heh. So the quests with the really maximal value are the ones that give me consistent experiences, or to say it differently, I have a pretty good idea what the encounter deck is going to give me. Since you are perhaps thinking of quests to buy, I will name a few non-saga quests not in the core set: Treachery of Rhudaur, Escape from Umbar (other people use this one to test decks I hear, I have not so much), Hunt for Gollum, Watcher in the Water, occasionally Dunland Trap, Intruders in Chetwood, Across the Ettenmoors.

Now, which scenarios do I come back to because I enjoy the scenario and play it for the flavor and fun?  The Battle of Five Armies, Redhorn Gate, Foundations of Stone, Flies and Spiders (wildly unpopular I think, I am alone in this one), The Steward's Fear, Fog on the Barrow-downs (probably my #1 favorite), The Three Trials, Voyage Across Belegaer, Temple of the Deceived.  And I have been using Woodland Realm recently, that's a newer one.  I think Fire in the Night will make it onto that list also, that's a new quest and very good.

This will sound so silly - I’ve had the full Mirkwood and dwarrowdwelf cycles for so long but the one quest I keep going back to is Passage Through Mirkwood. When I haven’t played in a long time, when I need a refresher, when I want to play a new deck I go back to the very first quest.

Yes it’s fairly simple but it has some dirty twists that it can throw your way. Most of the other quests I’ve played a few times here and there as I get bold, and I only worked through Mirkwood last year and decided to start on khazad-dum in the summer. Otherwise why did I even buy them?

I really liked Hunt for Gollum when I played that one. Maybe I should play it more often. The dream for me - which I know is unrealistic - is to build thematic decks and run them through every quest I own. Some of the quests simply don’t work that way but it’s fun to try.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure how to answer this question.  There are quests that are pure fun yet require specific builds.  Some quests are more open ended and give the player a lot of design space.  There are incredibly difficult quests that push you into a narrow design space.  This game gives you a lot of variety.

Its the kind of game where whats fun for one player is not fun for another.

I find the variety comes from the deck building challenge.  I really like building decks.

As for scenarios.

I really like Escape From Mount Gram.  That one lets you put captured cards into play at no cost when you 'rescue' them.  Bring your janky decks here and see whats behind door number one!

For some odd reason I like Nightmare Passage Through Mirkwood. As for others in no particular order I like Across the Ettenmoors, Massing at Osgiliath, Foundations of Stone, Nightmare Journey Along the Anduin, Battle of Lake-Town (hey its Smaug), Peril in Pelargir (excuse to play Beorn), Trouble in Tharbad, anything that feels like Dungeons and Dragons (Rhudaur), and anything with giant Spiders. 

I love Treachery in Rhudaur, Encounter at Amon Din, Breaking of the Fellowship, and Nightmare Into Ithilien. Wizard's Quest and Woodland Realm are both fun to replay, too, if you can get past the fact that they work a little better in competitive mode.

22 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

The dream for me - which I know is unrealistic - is to build thematic decks and run them through every quest I own. Some of the quests simply don’t work that way but it’s fun to try.

Take heart! I have a blog series dedicated to doing exactly that in Nightmare mode; once your card pool is big enough this is no longer a pipe dream.

https://darklingdoor.wordpress.com/thematic-nightmare/

I have a really terrible memory and I have so many sets that if I just continually play them in order, by the time I circle around I have virtually zero recollection about having ever played the quest before so I'm pretty much always playing something totally new every time I sit down to play.  I also takes fairly significant breaks from the game periodically so I might go 3-4 months without playing at all, by the time I get back to it, I'm quite literally reading the rulebook to remember how to play. 

I don't know if that is helpful, but it entertains me to tell that story.

1 hour ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

I'm surprised about Encounter at Amon Din. I was under the impression it was held as one of the easiest quests by those who've played it.

Oh, it's definitely on the easy side. But it's still a fun romp with some evocative mechanics in it. Might be just a personal preference but I'm always down for a game of it. 

Posted (edited)

I agree with the poster about giant spider and dungeon crawl type quests, these always go down well with me.

I have a list of my own favourite quests based on the quest not the player cards, and grouped into type on my website > http://crusadersgames.co.uk/board-games/lord-of-the-rings-lcg/

Currently i really enjoy replaying Lost In Mirkwood & Return to Mirkwood, Seventh Level, Redhorn Gate, Treachery of Rhudaur - there are many good ones around though !

Edited by Crusaderlord

Hard to say for me because my wife and I have only played through all of the Sagas and the Mirkwood/Angmar cycle. And the best quests I have played are all Saga Quests (5 armies, Pelenor, Helms Deep, Breaking of the Fellowship). 

But so far for replayability I think for me it comes down to quests that turn your best laid plans on their head, challenge the traditional "stall and build up" tactic and that have varied experience with each play through, oh and final point is not being insanely unfairly hard *cough carn dum cough* That being said the Angmar cycle is very strong for its use of side quests and how they change up the game and make each quest quite different. I would recommend grabbing that core and picking up Treachery of Rhudar (times mechanic so you have to play fast and clear side quests to get clues and grow in power for the boss fight), Across the Ettenmoors (different random starting side quest and epic massive enemies), or Escape from Mount Gram (remember that deck you built to work around the heroes you perfectly selected, yeah no that's gone, good luck!).

Massing at Osgiliath is also a lot of fun for a one off that doesn't require a deluxe box as it's a great combat-heavy quest with cool location crossing.

Those are my thoughts so far but my wife and I are only getting started on our journey.