Indy_com

Tauntaun Riders! And Rebel Veterans!

First, I can’t wait for these new troops! Please take my money now!🥺🤑

Second, I love that in a thread about the new rebel troops, some can only talk about what the Imps may get next. 🤣🤪

Third, here are some observations that may be obvious (just how I roll😜). The unit card for the Mark II is broken into three sections at the bottom. Presumably for melee, personal weapon and the big cannon. The last section (the Cannon) has some kind of lettering at the bottom (keywords). Meaning the big gun probably has “fixed front” and probably nothing more considering the letter’s placement. Also despite the mini physically having a generator, you can’t add a generator upgrade.😢

Lastly, I can’t remember where the rule is, or exactly what the rule was, but I’m fairly sure the Tauntaun’s Relentless and Agile keywords cannot proc off the same move action. Again I can’t remember where I got this from. I may have gotten it from the intent of another rule that described the same type of situation. So if anyone know where that rule is, please elucidate. So a Tauntaun has to move, gain a dodge, and move again, then fire. Still good, but all that movement means you need to really know what you’re doing or you’re going to put them in a area where they get picked off fast.

Dam I can’t wait for this stuff... and it’s months away... noooooooooooo🥺😱😢

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

Wow, I'm super excited!!

For those of us with old eyes, has anybody got a copy of the Tauntauns and Vets written down in text so it's possible to read the cards and values of things?

Rebel Veterans

Trooper Unit

48 Points

Speed 2

Both Surge to hit and defend

4 models in squad

1 HP

1 Courage

White Defense Dice

Can Equip a Heavy Weapon Trooper, Extra Personnel, Training, Gear, and Grenade upgrades

Coordinate: Emplacement Trooper: After you are issued an order, you may issue an order to a friendly Emplacement Trooper at range 1.

Defend 1: After you are issued an order, gain 1 dodge token.

They roll a black die in melee and at range, with their range being 1-3

The only heavy weapon we can see looks like it rolls at least 3 white and has an effect that looks like it turns 2 surges into critical hits. Range 1-3

The other card beneath it looks like it's for the MK 2 medium blaster trooper, it's 38 points with a comm upgrade but we don't know anything beyond that.

Edited by thepopemobile100

Posted (edited)

To persons worried about tauntauns outside Hoth or possible colors of the beast: Google "Star Wars Cu-pa"

It is a cousin of the tauntaun, native from Tatooine, it is basically a brown tauntaun. There's also a tauntaun head hanging on the wall near Han Solo in carbonite at Jabba's Palace, so I'd say it is a widely known animal. 

Edited by Tubb

1 minute ago, TallGiraffe said:

The Cannon guy might be 36. Probably has traits of the Eweb. Second weapon probably DH-17 or the A280. 

The second number blue looks the same on both cards so that's why I said 38 points. I imagine that you're right about the similarities to the ewe 

4 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

@Mep When I zoom in my brain tells me "Creature," but I agree "Mounted" would have made at least as much sense. It is possible that Creature Troopers won't be able to interact with certain objectives... Or that we might see units with just Creature... 

Brief aside: I have a sneaking suspicion fueled by the Tauntauns that the CIS will have mounted Geonosis troopers (Geonosian picadors/wrangler) and/or some of the creatures from the arena.

Creature keyword - Rancor confirmed!

43 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Second, I love that in a thread about the new rebel troops, some can only talk about what the Imps may get next. 🤣🤪

Third, here are some observations that may be obvious (just how I roll😜). The unit card for the Mark II is broken into three sections at the bottom. Presumably for melee, personal weapon and the big cannon. The last section (the Cannon) has some kind of lettering at the bottom (keywords). Meaning the big gun probably has “fixed front” and probably nothing more considering the letter’s placement. Also despite the mini physically having a generator, you can’t add a generator upgrade.😢

Lastly, I can’t remember where the rule is, or exactly what the rule was, but I’m fairly sure the Tauntaun’s Relentless and Agile keywords cannot proc off the same move action. Again I can’t remember where I got this from. I may have gotten it from the intent of another rule that described the same type of situation. So if anyone know where that rule is, please elucidate. So a Tauntaun has to move, gain a dodge, and move again, then fire. Still good, but all that movement means you need to really know what you’re doing or you’re going to put them in a area where they get picked off fast.

To be fair, you could move out from behind cover, fire, then move back behind cover (with repo, should be easy and SPD 3 might even be enough to jump from 1 piece of cover to another).  Also, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't interact (it's a dodge token not a dodge action, so there shouldn't be a conflict as far as I'm aware).

4 hours ago, Tirion said:

Aren't they 8 points more?

4, 8, something like that yeah. Not much more. I guess if you are running 6 of them, it adds up.

5 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

There would be an actual riot and I'd be handing out the pitchforks (remarkably cheap in bulk actually)

I am slightly frightened that you know this.

And I say that as someone who grew up on a farm, and worked on one until my early twenties, so I have handled plenty of pitchforks. 😛

5 minutes ago, Jedhead said:

I am slightly frightened that you know this.

And I say that as someone who grew up on a farm, and worked on one until my early twenties, so I have handled plenty of pitchforks. 😛

So as a pitchfork veteran, do you gain a dodge token when issued an order too?

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

I can't find any rule that supports that. The only thing that comes close is the ruling that says that if multiple effects trigger after something, then the current player who is activating a unit decides what order they occur in.

1 hour ago, JediPartisan said:

I think you're referring to the ruling on charge/relentless that states that if an ability triggers from another action that ability can only be used immediately after without any intervening abilities or actions. The example in the RRG is Vader move + push push plus relentless attack. There may be a case to be argued here.

33 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

Creature keyword - Rancor confirmed!

Well, that's the first Heavy for the "Criminal" faction sorted. 😆

8 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I think you're referring to the ruling on charge/relentless that states that if an ability triggers from another action that ability can only be used immediately after without any intervening abilities or actions. The example in the RRG is Vader move + push push plus relentless attack. There may be a case to be argued here.

The difference is that Push is an free action, whereas Relentless and Agile are both triggered abilities. For Vader, moving activates Relentless, which must be resolved before any other action (free or not) is taken. Relentless and Agile are both triggered, so neither of them are actions, and the controlling player can resolve the order resolved. 

7 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

That’s it! Thanks @KommanderKeldoth!

There is also this from the RRG pg 11 under Abilities: “If the timing of an ability uses the word “after,” that ability’s effect occurs immediately after the described timing event has occurred.”

FF could change this if they had something else in mind, but it would seem OP to get a free dodge and an attack off one move action. Maybe they’ll do a Rules clearification.

Even interpreted this way, the Tauntauns are still pretty good. Can’t wait! ...are they here yet... are they here yet... are they here yet...?😳🥺😬

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Well, that's the first Heavy for the "Criminal" faction sorted. 😆

The difference is that Push is an free action, whereas Relentless and Agile are both triggered abilities. For Vader, moving activates Relentless, which must be resolved before any other action (free or not) is taken. Relentless and Agile are both triggered, so neither of them are actions, and the controlling player can resolve the order resolved. 

44 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

To be fair, you could move out from behind cover, fire, then move back behind cover (with repo, should be easy and SPD 3 might even be enough to jump from 1 piece of cover to another). Also, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't interact (it's a dodge token not a dodge action, so there shouldn't be a conflict as far as I'm aware).

See RRG pg 11 under Abilities: “If the timing of an ability uses the word “after,” that ability’s effect occurs immediately after the described timing event has occurred.”

You might be able to resolve in whichever order you want, but the Ability that happens directly after the Standard Move means that the next Ability will not be taking place “After” a Move Action. I could be wrong, but I think this is how it goes. I’m sure FF will clarify at some point before release.

Edited by JediPartisan

for both units, both abilities would happen the veterans will happen AFTER it receives a order so it will get a free dodge and give a emplacement trooper a order. and the tauntaun will also happen too.

also can we get the SWTOR era units now i would love to see them go with them first then clone wars.

6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

You can max out the force org chart except for commanders and 1 operative slot with Hoth-compatible models now. I am fairly confident a Hoth rebel commander will come out soon though.

Or one could... you know... if Rieekan turns out to be bad, or worse, boring.
46453175_198918737654742_51547075769983352259350_249425049270777_219117719641076

6 hours ago, chemnitz said:

The more that I look at it, the more that these guys seem like a side-grade to Rebel Troopers (which is a good thing!) Let me break it down:

Defend 1 is a side-grade to Nimble: Nimble is better if you have someone like Leia handing out dodges. Defend is better if you are assigning orders to this unit often. Different but neither is better.

The CM-O/93 is a side-grade to the z6: This is assuming that Critical 2 gives you surge-to-crit for your first two surges rolled. A z6 does 1.5 hits (including 0.75 crits). If the CM-O/93 has 3 white dice, it does 1.125 hits of which 0.625 are crits (I am not 100% sure on the math of Critical 2). If it has 4 white dice, it does 1.5 hits of which 0.75 are crits. Hey! That is identical to a z6, only more consistent! There is a lot of uncertainty on this point, but from what we know, these weapons are different but not considerably different in power-level.

That means that you are paying 8 points (plus 2 more points for an extra trooper) for an offensive surge, Coordinate: Emplacement, and a Training upgrade slot (you are also losing access to the MPL-57, for whatever that is worth). How valuable is the offensive surge? I am going to leave the heavy weapon out of this equation, because I already accounted for it in the preceding paragraph. Four black dice without surge do an average of 2 hits. Four black dice with surge do an average of 2.5 hits. That is an extra 0.5 hit every full-strength attack. Honestly, that is going to come out to like 1 extra kill a game. Valuable, but fair for the price--especially on a unit that is no more resilient than a basic trooper (which is not very).

I am guessing all over the place with this analysis. However, I think that it is likely that Rebel Troopers and Rebel Veterans will both be relevant and useful.

There is also the medium repeater blaster, which the Rebel Troopers can't take.

you can also assign a Rebel Veteran to man a Mark II Medium Blaster and maintain a bit of mobility with your heavy firepower. Rather than act as a heavy weapon upgrade, this miniature becomes its own unit that can only be deployed as a detachment from the Rebel Veterans. Once on the field, however, the Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper is free to aid the ranged attacks of any friendly unit.