Indy_com

Tauntaun Riders! And Rebel Veterans!

1 minute ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

What’s the point of the veterans? They just make the normal troopers redundant because why on earth would you want to run troopers now you have these guys with auto dodge, surge on attack and defence and black attack? Is this the inevitable creep? It’s a shame if it is.

Its not auto dodge (close to but still need order), they are more expensive, don't have ion which might play bigger role as game goes on with more vehicles.  I see them having a place in armies but dropping 40 man groups of rebels will still be seen for sure.

2 minutes ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

What’s the point of the veterans? They just make the normal troopers redundant because why on earth would you want to run troopers now you have these guys with auto dodge, surge on attack and defence and black attack? Is this the inevitable creep? It’s a shame if it is.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Their defense is basically the same as the stock trooper but they have better offence. Aside from thematics, running a bunch of frail expensive units isn't generally the best idea

8 minutes ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

They don’t auto dodge. You have to issue them an order (so no Dodge on many turns when you don’t get to issue that many orders).

They don’t hold onto their dodge, so once it’s gone it’s gone. Rebel troopers hold onto it for the turn.

It isn’t creep of anything except for complexity. Which complexity creep isn’t always bad - just not the unit you place in your starter army to introduce someone to the game. 

1 hour ago, Indy_com said:

@TauntaunScout Are you pleased with FFG now?

Yes. I honestly don't care what they do or don't release from now on.  I'd buy certain other things too, or not, whatever, I don't care anymore. I'll want a right proper Hoth commander someday but the generic officer (painted in Hothic colors) will do, more or less indefinitely. These are the two squads I've been waiting for some license holder to make since I started in the hobby of wargaming. I honestly feared these could be delayed for another year or two as part of an elaborate marketing theory. Then again, I also suspected that we'd now see a precise doubling of the original release run, starting with a corps, support and commander per side, and these would fit with that idea.

My imperial army has a maxed out Hoth force org chart (Veers & Vader, 2x AT-ST, 3x e-web, 6x snowtroopers) and my rebels will now immediately follow suit and then some.

I am absolutely giddy that the tauntaun guys are a squad and that for some reason, in the SW universe, they gallop into battle shooting from the saddle like wild pistoleros. They remind me of the The Outlaw Josey Wales.

The sheer amount of Legion junk I'm going to paint now is going to be wild. This has really opened a dangerous can of crazy. I might have to sell some stuff to make more room. The way I see it, I need a core set of rebels painted for woods, desert, and snow. Plus maxed out Hoth units painted all snowylike. Plus at least one tauntaun squad painted for desert and woods. Also an autobiographical conversion on tauntaun will be needed for each of the three environments.

This is without even getting into homebrew army lists. I am gonna get way too involved in this.

4 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

The only thing I could find that I can nitpick so far is that for 2 points more than the extra trooper is the comm technician with relay. It's a very minor concern, but I don't see why I wouldn't use the comm tech instead of the extra trooper.

Comm tech with an uplink is 7 points more but will always get the dodge when you want it plus an order to an emplacement if you're that way inclined.  It's expensive but probably quite handy.  I think comm techs are going to be very common indeed.

These Veterans will really like Comms Tech + HQ Uplink. For the cost of only 7 more than an extra trooper, the Vets can get an order for themselves and an emplacement AND a free beginning of the turn dodge. 

Edit: Ninja’d!

Edited by chemnitz

7 minutes ago, Katarn said:

Comm tech with an uplink is 7 points more but will always get the dodge when you want it plus an order to an emplacement if you're that way inclined.  It's expensive but probably quite handy.  I think comm techs are going to be very common indeed.

That is a really good point!

31 minutes ago, Matt Antilles said:

You'll be able to make an almost entirely Hoth themed army. The cool thing is that there is actually some decent synergy to doing so with the new keywords.

You can max out the force org chart except for commanders and 1 operative slot with Hoth-compatible models now. I am fairly confident a Hoth rebel commander will come out soon though.

Sadly a few of my hopes for these units weren't fulfilled: 

The Veterans (great name, far better than echo base trooper or similar) guns are called A-280 although it should be A-280C. But that is a really minor thing, the real issue being that the Tautaun guys are to specifically named (instead of Rebel Cavalry or something else more adaptable) and that they are stupid cowboys shooting pistols from the saddle instead of cool Dragoons.

However I'm really happy that we got those units and the CM-0/93 finally got named!!!! Also I really like the decision to integrate the Mk II blaster cannon, it really should have been the counterpart to the E-web. Also they got build around entrenching, a real plus.

Edited by LennoxPoodle

50 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

So where’s @TauntaunScout then?

(My current thinking is he’s either collapsed through excitement, or writing a thesis on why the rules are wrong....only teasing mate! )

I was actually at the gaming store. Buying craters cause they will work as Hoth scenery someday. I had no idea I could get this many notifications in the little "bell" icon at the top right corner of the screen.

2 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

You can max out the force org chart except for commanders and 1 operative slot with Hoth-compatible models now. I am fairly confident a Hoth rebel commander will come out soon though.

Commander Skywalker would be nice. New personas for already released units would be crunchy.

2 minutes ago, LennoxPoodle said:

Sadly a few of my hopes for these units weren't fulfilled: 

The Veterans (great name, far better than echo base trooper or similar) guns are called A-280 although it should be A-280C. But that is a really minor thing, the real issue being that the Tautaun guys are to specifically named (instead of Rebel Cavalry or something else more adaptable) and that they are stupid cowboys shooting pistols from the saddle instead of cool Dragoons.

However I'm really happy that we got those units and the CM-0/93 finally got named!!!! Also I really like the decision to integrate the Mk II blaster cannon, it really should have been the counterpart to the E-web.

Proper Dragoons were unlikely, since that would entail having the unit dismount in order to attack, which would mean different profiles for the same unit (mounted VS unmounted). Dragoon style tactics are probably better represented through the use of transports in Legion. 

The more that I look at it, the more that these guys seem like a side-grade to Rebel Troopers (which is a good thing!) Let me break it down:

Defend 1 is a side-grade to Nimble: Nimble is better if you have someone like Leia handing out dodges. Defend is better if you are assigning orders to this unit often. Different but neither is better.

The CM-O/93 is a side-grade to the z6: This is assuming that Critical 2 gives you surge-to-crit for your first two surges rolled. A z6 does 1.5 hits (including 0.75 crits). If the CM-O/93 has 3 white dice, it does 1.125 hits of which 0.625 are crits (I am not 100% sure on the math of Critical 2). If it has 4 white dice, it does 1.5 hits of which 0.75 are crits. Hey! That is identical to a z6, only more consistent! There is a lot of uncertainty on this point, but from what we know, these weapons are different but not considerably different in power-level.

That means that you are paying 8 points (plus 2 more points for an extra trooper) for an offensive surge, Coordinate: Emplacement, and a Training upgrade slot (you are also losing access to the MPL-57, for whatever that is worth). How valuable is the offensive surge? I am going to leave the heavy weapon out of this equation, because I already accounted for it in the preceding paragraph. Four black dice without surge do an average of 2 hits. Four black dice with surge do an average of 2.5 hits. That is an extra 0.5 hit every full-strength attack. Honestly, that is going to come out to like 1 extra kill a game. Valuable, but fair for the price--especially on a unit that is no more resilient than a basic trooper (which is not very).

I am guessing all over the place with this analysis. However, I think that it is likely that Rebel Troopers and Rebel Veterans will both be relevant and useful.

Edited by chemnitz

3 minutes ago, player2801864 said:

Commander Skywalker would be nice. New personas for already released units would be crunchy.

I'd rather these were saved for when FFG is really running out of steam, or has more new upgrades for the Rebels/Empire that don't fit on some other new character. Honestly I'd rather see someone like General Carlist Rieekan fill the "Hoth Commander" role. 

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Proper Dragoons were unlikely, since that would entail having the unit dismount in order to attack, which would mean different profiles for the same unit (mounted VS unmounted). Dragoon style tactics are probably better represented through the use of transports in Legion. 

They could have done it like that vampire guy in Runewars. That's kind of precedent.

Also I wonder what the imperial counterpart will be. I guess Imperial Army troopers (Canon) aka Mudtroopers would fit tthe trench theme nice. But what about the Riders? Maybe Probe droids?