Indy_com

Tauntaun Riders! And Rebel Veterans!

1 minute ago, Thevshi said:

Yeah, Dewbacks for certain.  I think the Corps will be Shoretroopers, as they make sense as the Imperial "Veterans" (the Navy Troopers do not fit that in my view).

Alternately, Sandtroopers (which would be relatively disappointing). They fit thematically with the Dewback, are shown to man a weapon similar to the MK II (I can't  remember the name).

3 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Does anyone want to start taking bets on when the Imperial article equivalent will be up?  And what it'll have?  Dewbacks are a certainty, but what about the Corps?  Mudtroopers, Shoretroopers, Navy Troopers? 

Shore troopers is the best bet for “veteran” or premium trooper unit, with a cost higher than storm or snow.

I almost want to go contrary and say mud trooper so Imps will have a 40 point corps unit. Each faction will then have 3 corps options (cheapest, better, premium) that all cost the same. 

Sand troopers are just storm troopers... there’s no difference 

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

Shore troopers is the best bet for “veteran” or premium trooper unit, with a cost higher than storm or snow.

I almost want to go contrary and say mud trooper so Imps will have a 40 point corps unit. Each faction will then have 3 corps options (cheapest, better, premium) that all cost the same. 

I hate sand (troopers) they're irritating and they can't ever find the droids they're looking for

21 minutes ago, Thevshi said:

I don't think it is better than Impact.  I think Critical 2 means that you get to convert two surges to critical hits rather than normal hits (like they normally do).  If that is true, it is a lesser form of Impact, as you have to role surges to get the critical hits and avoid armor, not just get hits (either normal or by surges) and then convert them.

That's how I read it too. "While.... offensive surges, change... results to *crit* results". Based on the 2 in Critical, it puts them on par with characters surging to crit. Helps against cover and armor without being overpowered for a Corps unit.

6 minutes ago, azeronbloodmoone said:

if anything it will be sandtroopers and dewbacks.

Good lord I hope not.  Not only would Sandtroopers be far less interesting than the other options, they visually wouldn't look all that different than the existing Stormtrooper unit between the commander's pauldron and DLT man's pack.

4 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I'd love to see mud troopers.  Since the game often has a vs mentality, it would be interesting to see the Mudtroopers as the opposite of the veterans, with them as cheaper, more expendable alternatives than Stormtroopers.  But, we could also see a Veteran unit that's just more geared towards being light and aggressive, which would make sense for Shoretroopers. 

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

And all the infantry on the Rebel side are technically "Rebel Troopers" yet they have their own designated unit. 

I too would rather see something like Shoretroopers or Mud Troopers, but I could see FFG releasing "Sandtroopers" instead. Basically just the Stormtroopers with backpacks and a single pauldron.

2 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Good lord I hope not.  Not only would Sandtroopers be far less interesting than the other options, they visually wouldn't look all that different than the existing Stormtrooper unit between the commander's pauldron and DLT man's pack.

I'd love to see mud troopers.  Since the game often has a vs mentality, it would be interesting to see the Mudtroopers as the opposite of the veterans, with them as cheaper, more expendable alternatives than Stormtroopers.  But, we could also see a Veteran unit that's just more geared towards being light and aggressive, which would make sense for Shoretroopers. 

Yeah, it might be interesting if they went the other way with the Empire getting a cheaper Corps (in which case Mudtroopers or Naval Troopers would be the logical choices). 

The only balance problem I could see (and it is minor) is that one of the reasons the Hoth Troopers are "Veterans" is they have a training upgrade slot, currently the only Corps unit to have one!  So, it would make sense the Empire gets a "veteran" unit as well to have the same access to that.

1 minute ago, Thevshi said:

Yeah, it might be interesting if they went the other way with the Empire getting a cheaper Corps (in which case Mudtroopers or Naval Troopers would be the logical choices). 

The only balance problem I could see (and it is minor) is that one of the reasons the Hoth Troopers are "Veterans" is they have a training upgrade slot, currently the only Corps unit to have one!  So, it would make sense the Empire gets a "veteran" unit as well to have the same access to that.

Good point.  Mudtroopers with Duck and Cover and a suppression gimmick similar to Pathfinders would be interesting, but I really don't see them going that route with their current "Rebels Defend, Imperials Attack" system of game design.

1 minute ago, costi said:

@TauntaunScout is not here yet? :)

Okay, the Tauntauns look crazy - speed 3, relentless, 2 red dice each, sharpshooter, unhindered, 4 wounds... for 90 points? The equally-priced Speeder Bikes look sad in comparison...

Eh, bikes have cover 1 native not having to spend the dodge. For multiple attacks that is better than the one dodge. Also, impact and better front arc guns.

Theyre comparable in my mind. Both have unique perks 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, costi said:

@TauntaunScout is not here yet? :)

Okay, the Tauntauns look crazy - speed 3, relentless, 2 red dice each, sharpshooter, unhindered, 4 wounds... for 90 points? The equally-priced Speeder Bikes look sad in comparison...

Yeah, the Tauntauns are very nice.  But, the Speeder Bike is basically unhindered, has a compulsory (ie free) move, and throws more attack dice (if limited in the front arc).

Edit: And as ScummyRebel pointed out, have Cover 1 and Impact.

Edited by Thevshi

Shocked at 3 pages in we havent seen @TauntaunScout yet.  Im sure he will bring balance back to the forums.

Im excited about new corp and support choices.  The veterans have a spot maybe 2 in my current army.  Taunrauns im mulling over. Itll be a 2 of expansion purchade.

I feel that the Speeder and the Tauntauns fill a similar role (quick outflanker) but in different ways. The Tauntauns are better suited for infantry targets. 

3 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I'm trying not to spend more money on rebels until clone wars, but then FFG goes and does something like this. It's almost like they want all of my money.

As I said when the game was first announced, this is the just about the closest FFG can get to printing money without an investigation by the Secret Service. 

26 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Technically the Stormtroopers are the elite infantry.

Imperial army/navy if they are going to add a cheaper (40 point squad) one; Dark Troopers/Jump troopeers if theyre adding a more expensive corps (52 points)

What’s the point of the veterans? They just make the normal troopers redundant because why on earth would you want to run troopers now you have these guys with auto dodge, surge on attack and defence and black attack? Is this the inevitable creep? It’s a shame if it is.

Just now, Sith Lord Revan said:

What’s the point of the veterans? They just make the normal troopers redundant because why on earth would you want to run troopers now you have these guys with auto dodge, surge on attack and defence and black attack? Is this the inevitable creep? It’s a shame if it is.

I dont think so, they're more expensive. The main attraction of Rebel Troopers for me is that I can get a Z-6 squad for 62 points. Rebel Veterans will not be able to compete with that on cost I don't think. These will be a lateral choice not replacement.