Sign in to follow this  
Darth Veggie

FFG ARMADA Article: Interview online!!!

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

Given how poorly I view the creation of SAd, Pryce, and Bail (they are bandaids and don’t fix the core activation issue), I’m assuming the new announcement will be something that further embraces activation spam like a 15 point unique squadron that you can activate during the ship phase. But, for some reason you can only bring it if you have a large ship. 

My thought has been to allow ships to fire either twice before they move or once after.   Giving everyone a "lite" version of demolisher.  While demolisher remains special because it can fire once before and once after.  More activations can be used to your advantage, but it stills allows for the cinematic ISD jumping on to a little ship and ripping it to shreds.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KrisWall said:

If the upcoming announcement is for a Huge Rebel ship, I think a lot of people will be disappointed.  I'm in an area that used to have a very healthy Armada community with multiple events every month at one of many stores in the area.  Nobody is playing anymore.  There are few if any events.  The game is functionally dead.  Nobody I've talked to thinks the SSD is going to get people playing again.  A Huge Rebel ship also wouldn't get people playing again.  FFG almost needs to do something drastic like an X-Wing style 2.0 to jump start the game.  Releasing huge ships that wouldn't see play in average games isn't going to jump start the game for many people.

In New England the game is bigger than ever.  But that's just one area. From what I've heard in here is the communities are either amazing or non existent.  I agree a rebel huge ship is not the best game plan for FFG but it's what I expect.  Just my opinion.  A clone wars anouncements is second in my list of expectations.  I hope a wave 8 with the ships mentioned earlier.  I would be very disappointed in a 2.0 anouncement.  A 1.5 is more reasonable.  There just isn't anything super broken like xwing was to warrent a 2.0.

Edited by Rune Taq

1 hour ago, AdmiralYor said:

My thought has been to allow ships to fire either twice before they move or once after.   Giving everyone a "lite" version of demolisher.  While demolisher remains special because it can fire once before and once after.  More activations can be used to your advantage, but it stills allows for the cinematic ISD jumping on to a little ship and ripping it to shreds.

This is one thing that bugs me. You really can't tail a ship effectively.

2 minutes ago, Rune Taq said:

In New England the game is bigger than ever.  But that's just one area. From what I've heard in here is the communities are either amazing or non existent.  I agree a rebel huge ship is notbtye best game plan for FFG but it's what I expect.  Just my opinion.  A clone wars anouncements is second in my list of expectations.  I hope a wave 8 or the ships mentioned earlier.  I would be very disappointed in a 2.0 anouncement.  A 1.5 is more reasonable.  There just isn't anything super broken like xwing was to warrent a 2.0.

I'm not picky if it's 1.5 or 2.0 (do you actually have a difference in mind?), but that would be my dream. I think you could keep it affordable by not requiring all new cardboard, that's the big cost. Tweak some rules (I don't have answers, but activations could be better and squadron play could be streamlined) and introduce app-based points, I would be super happy. Clone Wars would be fine, more ships would be fine, but PLEASE don't do another huge ship FFG. At least not right away, let's see if it "works" first.

1 hour ago, IronNerd said:

introduce app-based points

I've seen this a few times in reference to X-wing, but since I don't play, I don't know what this really means. Can someone explain?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

I've seen this a few times in reference to X-wing, but since I don't play, I don't know what this really means. Can someone explain?

All ship/upgrade cards are printed without point costs or upgrade slots. You use the FFG X-wing app to build your list. The great thing about it is the game can be balanced with point adjustments if needed and upgrade slots added/removed to older ships when a new upgrade type is added in later waves.

Edited by codytx2

40 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

All ship/upgrade cards are printed without point costs or upgrade slots. You use the FFG X-wing app to build your list. The great thing about it is the game can be balanced with point adjustments if needed and upgrade slots added/removed to older ships when a new upgrade type is added in later waves.

Thanks for the explanation! That does sound like it makes errata easier.

2 hours ago, IronNerd said:

I'm not picky if it's 1.5 or 2.0 (do you actually have a difference in mind?), but that would be my dream. I think you could keep it affordable by not requiring all new cardboard, that's the big cost. Tweak some rules (I don't have answers, but activations could be better and squadron play could be streamlined) and introduce app-based points, I would be super happy. Clone Wars would be fine, more ships would be fine, but PLEASE don't do another huge ship FFG. At least not right away, let's see if it "works" first.

So 2.0 is xwing scale oh crap we need to fix this. By "1.5" I meant a decent rework of some slight problem areas but it doesn't need a crazy over haul like xwing did.  Xwing was totally broke.  

21 minutes ago, ArmadaMatt said:

Thanks for the explanation! That does sound like it makes errata easier.

You're welcome. For erratas they are still posted in a FAQ. All personnel abilities are still on the upgrade card as probably would be defensive tokens, movement capabilities, etc. For Armada it would be akin to cutting off the bottom 1/4" of your ship card and using something like Ryan Kingston's app to list build only FFG can decide the Gozanti no longer gets access to the offensive retrofit slot and costs 3 points cheaper or wave 1-3 admirals were priced way too high so cut them all 15%. 

2 hours ago, jbc98k said:

Will we at least get the imperial support vessel from rebels if not the old Dreadnought Heavy Cruiser?

Again I'll buy 10 myself if they pull on the old Dreads :)

The ISP could be a cool support vessel. I’d give it 2 fleet support slots.

I found the occasional list where I want 3 flotillas for the slots but can’t use them because of the nerf. This would allow slot based building that doesn’t have anything to do with flotilla spam.

1 hour ago, codytx2 said:

Yeah, no thanks. That's the description of a game that becomes unplayable after FFG stops supporting it, and allows for lazy game design to be fixed as they go. Unless they want to let me print cards, I'll stick with version one.

2 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Yeah, no thanks. That's the description of a game that becomes unplayable after FFG stops supporting it, and allows for lazy game design to be fixed as they go. Unless they want to let me print cards, I'll stick with version one.

They put out a list with all the numbers on it you can print up. So yep, you're good. 

32 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

They put out a list with all the numbers on it you can print up. So yep, you're good. 

Let me rephrase. Unless they want to reduce cost appropriately for all the cards I am going to need to reprint with points, and upgrades, to make it playable without the FFG APP, I'll stick with version one. 

I buy games to play them in perpetuity, not just until the game company decides to stop supporting them. 

I have no interest or intention of buying into a table top miniatures wargame that requires an app to play. 

50 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

They also have PDFs available for download that have the points costs listed.  You don't have to use the app at all.  When they update the points in the app, they also update the PDF.

3 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Let me rephrase. Unless they want to reduce cost appropriately for all the cards I am going to need to reprint with points, and upgrades, to make it playable without the FFG APP, I'll stick with version one. 

I buy games to play them in perpetuity, not just until the game company decides to stop supporting them. 

I have no interest or intention of buying into a table top miniatures wargame that requires an app to play. 

The cards don't have the points values on them.  You'd never need to reprint anything except the points list PDF when a points change occurs.  The X-Wing App is not required in any way, shape or form to play X-Wing.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Chemosh667 said:

Yeah, the Vong were mostly a weird annoyance, and definitely made me lose interest back in the day.  And are no longer canon, and Disney will not license Legends reference to FFG...  And why the **** would they do a non-canon, post-GCW expansion that only people who read the old novels would know about, without doing Clone Wars or New Trilogy first...?

Vong are cannon. They are referenced, not by name though, in Timothy Zahn 's Thrawn novel.

Edited by SoonerTed

1 hour ago, cynanbloodbane said:

So you have no idea how it actually works?

3 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

So you have no idea how it actually works?

You have to admit, There is a fundamental assumption there that the ability to fix things easier doesn’t lead to sloppier first instance production... 

on the outside, looking at the gravity of some changes, there is a point to be made.

23 minutes ago, SoonerTed said:

Vong are cannon. They are referenced, not by name though, in Timothy Zahn 's Thrawn novel.

What? 🤨 I don't remember that. Would you mind giving me page and line number so that I can read up on that?