Sign in to follow this  
Darth Veggie

FFG ARMADA Article: Interview online!!!

Posted (edited)

Article also says that a future Armada expansion will be announced at Adepticon in just 3 weeks.  That's the only really interesting part of the article for me.

Looks like Armada may not be fully dead.  We know the SSD was developed relatively early in the line's lifecycle, based on the product number.  This will be the first truly new product announced in a LONG time.

Edited by KrisWall

we'll see the next announcement of a future Star Wars: Armada expansion.

What will be announced? And how will the new materials impact the game's activations, squadron battles, and punishing ship-to-ship combat? We won't have to wait too long. AdeptiCon takes place March 27–31,

Wow, the end of that article makes it sound as if there is more then just another wave coming...New core set perhaps even 2nd edition.

"And how will the new materials impact the game's activations, squadron battles, and punishing ship-to-ship combat?"

7 minutes ago, Fuzzywookie said:

I Hope It’s The Yuuzhan Vong. 

Would be cool, but I think the average Star Wars fan probably doesn't even recognize those as being Star Wars related.  I think it's far more likely that you'd see Clone Wars era Republic and Separatist ships.  Lucrehulk would be pretty cool.

Clone Wars.  Maybe Rebels, as that allows for some crossover with the show, and doesn't dip too far back outside of GCW timeframe.  But I think it'll be 2nd edition, centered around Clone Wars.

33 minutes ago, Fuzzywookie said:

I Hope It’s The Yuuzhan Vong. 

you and me both guy, you and me both. 

25 minutes ago, KrisWall said:

Would be cool, but I think the average Star Wars fan probably doesn't even recognize those as being Star Wars related.  I think it's far more likely that you'd see Clone Wars era Republic and Separatist ships.  Lucrehulk would be pretty cool.

yep

5 minutes ago, eliteone said:

It wasn't the article we need. It was....not the article we deserved. Also, I guess, it was, at least, an article. 

Honestly it's an announcement about an announcement and I'm FINE with that. It's like the hyperlane report only probably not a lie this time. Lol probably. 

5 minutes ago, Chemosh667 said:

Clone Wars.  Maybe Rebels, as that allows for some crossover with the show, and doesn't dip too far back outside of GCW timeframe.  But I think it'll be 2nd edition, centered around Clone Wars.

If i was a person that went off feelings I would say "yes, this is what it feels like to me too". The SSD feels like the capstone to GCW ship design and this seems like an opportunity to move into clone wars ships and designs alongside X-wing/legions soon to be releases. 

Note from the article they mention "What will be announced? And how will the new materials impact the game's activations, squadron battles, and punishing ship-to-ship combat? We won't have to wait too long."

Without looking too far into it this could be more ships, or a 2nd edition.  But given activations, and whiny nitpicky nonsense around squadron battles have been top complaint areas, they could be looking to tweak how they work in a 2nd edition.  Honestly, a few things, like how the relationships between Grit, Intel, Heavy all work, could easily be tweaked around and reshuffled to something more sensible; so CAP actually would be viable, interceptors could actually, you know "intercept", etc.

"If i was a person that went off feelings I would say "yes, this is what it feels like to me too". The SSD feels like the capstone to GCW ship design and this seems like an opportunity to move into clone wars ships and designs alongside X-wing/legions soon to be releases. "

Yeah.  Would have been nice to get the gunships and whatnot (DP-20, Braha'tok), maybe Tector and a real ISD-I (white, dammit!), but honestly I don't see that happening.  I think SSD is the end of GCW, and they will capitlalize on the move to Clone Wars when the marketing embargo finally lifts (other companies have stuff they have been producing too that is awaiting Disney's permission to unleash).

7 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

The Yuuzhan Vong

Nope.  Never going to happen.

Posted (edited)

What will be announced? And how will the new materials impact the game's activations, squadron battles, and punishing ship-to-ship combat?

I'm not reading too much into this, given that the interview touched on activations and squadron play. Might be more that they're just tying it in with the interview.

Still, woo for a new expansion being announced. Although "expansion" singular sounds a bit worrying. Could be that it is something big, otherwise may just be a single ship (or ship pack). [Or a mistake - wouldn't be an FFG article without a mistake somewhere, right?]

Edited by Grumbleduke

Yeah, the Vong were mostly a weird annoyance, and definitely made me lose interest back in the day.  And are no longer canon, and Disney will not license Legends reference to FFG...  And why the **** would they do a non-canon, post-GCW expansion that only people who read the old novels would know about, without doing Clone Wars or New Trilogy first...?

...next announcement of a future Star Wars: Armada expansion

Soooo...that's singular and then singular again, which suggests it's not a simple typo.

IE., the next announcement is only one more SKU, that's it.

(Of course, it could easily be something that includes multiple new additions to the game.  IE., a squadron box a la 'Rogues and Villains'.  Or a multi-ship pack like the Hammerheads.  Heck, even a new core set theoretically.  Either way, though...it's a single box.)

1 minute ago, xanderf said:

Soooo...that's singular and then singular again, which suggests it's not a simple typo.

IE., the next announcement is only one more SKU, that's it.

(Of course, it could easily be something that includes multiple new additions to the game.  IE., a squadron box a la 'Rogues and Villains'.  Or a multi-ship pack like the Hammerheads.  Heck, even a new core set theoretically.  Either way, though...it's a single box.)

So maybe a rebellion pack to counterbalance the SSD, with some squadrons and Braha'tok, and/or DP-20.  I'm still obsessing over it, hehe, but seriously.  Would be cool to get a nice bulk pack with a bunch of goodies for Rebels for a last hurrah.  But really, I think it's going to be Clone Wars, with a minor updated rules set (2nd edition...).

3 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Vong would require disney to pay royalties. So it will never happen

And it's not canon, and it's kind of esoteric for most mainstream SW fans.  No recognition outside of a small group, and as such, not worth doing, when they could pursue actually marketable diversions into Clone Wars, New Trilogy, etc.  Clone Wars itself is a bunch of new ship types ready to go, many/most of which can crossover into GCW easily.  New Trilogy I don't think we will see much for until Disney manges to come out with more canon squadron and ship types.  Just not enough there to bother with...