Sign in to follow this  
krugglemugg

Using an Opponents Safe Place Artifact

This came up in my last game. I have the Safe Place artifact and my opponent has Nexus, a shadow character than can use an opponents artifact as if it were your own. How the heck would that work? Would my opponent put an Æmber token on my Safe Place, effectively stealing their own Aember for me? Would he move his own Aember to a nonexistent Safe Place of their own where they hold it and could later spend it but couldn’t use the pseudo-artifact at will? Maybe it’s just an artifact that doesn’t really have a useable action for an opponent? Not really sure how this would work...

Posted (edited)

He'd basically steal his own aember, but at least he'd exhaust it so you can't use it... haha.

Doesn't nexus say "may"?

Mh... However, I have a weirder question... Poltergheist... Does the Aember stacked on it go to your pool since it states "as if it were yours"?

Edited by Deuzerre

2 hours ago, krugglemugg said:

This came up in my last game. I have the Safe Place artifact and my opponent has Nexus, a shadow character than can use an opponents artifact as if it were your own. How the heck would that work? Would my opponent put an Æmber token on my Safe Place, effectively stealing their own Aember for me? Would he move his own Aember to a nonexistent Safe Place of their own where they hold it and could later spend it but couldn’t use the pseudo-artifact at will? Maybe it’s just an artifact that doesn’t really have a usable action for an opponent? Not really sure how this would work...

They would move their aember to your safe place. It's pretty rare that this would be a logical decision but occasionally it could make sense.

12 minutes ago, Deuzerre said:

He'd basically steal his own aember, but at least he'd exhaust it so you can't use it... haha.

Doesn't nexus say "may"?

No, it's forced. Guess Nexus will be fighting.

5 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

No, it's forced. Guess Nexus will be fighting.

It gets weirder when your opponent has no creatures and only a Mighty Javelin. Nexus either stays home or turns traitor on someone. Even weirder when there are no other creatures on your side.

This could actually get much more interesting: what if Nexus uses Safe Place and you follow that up with a Key of Darkness? Can you use the aember on your opponent's Safe Place to forge a key or is Nexus' control over the moment you move play the next card?

Posted (edited)

ooh, that's a good question.

I was about to say I think you'd have a case, but upon re-examining the rules for constant abilities (page 7) it does specifically say "Applying the effects of a constant ability is not considered using a card and therefore does not cause the card to exhaust."

Based on that I would think you are not able to utilize your opponent's safe place aember when you play that Key of Darkness.

Still, it might be worth asking for an official. They've flipped on some rulings before and I could see this being one where they would do it again.

Edited by TheSpitfired
Key of Darkness, not Key or Darkness

5 hours ago, edward415 said:

This could actually get much more interesting: what if Nexus uses Safe Place and you follow that up with a Key of Darkness? Can you use the aember on your opponent's Safe Place to forge a key or is Nexus' control over the moment you move play the next card?

Nah. Using an artifact gets you abilities activated by using it's Action: or Omni: options, not it's passive abilities.