Sign in to follow this  
sionnach19

Help with Pelennor Fields solo?

This quest is wonderfully thematic, but it keeps kicking my teeth in and has stalled out my solo campaign. I'm trying to figure out what I need to adjust to have a chance, while continuing the momentum and story of my campaign playthrough so far. I'm curious what success other folks have had, especially in solo play.

I've tried running Eowyn (tactics), Eomer (leadership), and Beregond (spirit); though lately have swapped Beregond for Arwen. The two Rohan heroes have been Aragorn's pals after the breaking of the Fellowship, so I'm really trying to make them work. I have a moderate card pool... all the saga expansions, a good chunk of the first two cycles, and a smattering of other expansions for the player cards. I'm feeling pressured on every side — I can't seem to balance questing, attacking, and defending well. The real issue is how quickly enemies are added to the staging area: the wraith, the witch-king, the extra enemies the witch-king draws out each turn, the haradrim who escaped the crossroads, etc. My economy just isn't strong enough to build up a board of allies that can handle all those threats, or that balances willpower with combat stats. This is making me wonder if I might be better off playing two-handed, at least for this quest, if the difficulty is too high for solo play.

While I'm struggling with the basic quest mechanics (typically losing to Minas Tirith getting destroyed), I'm worried that my prior performances are holding me back too — I need to wait 7 rounds for Aragorn to show up, and when I hit Stage 5b I'm not only confronted with the Witch-King but with two Mumakil and a Haradrim soldier from the Crossroads.

Happy to hear any general advice or suggestions! I'm realizing that it's probably best to stall on Stage 2 for as long as possible to kill the Wraith and build up a better board state; but I've had a string of bad luck with 1 health allies ending up in the staging area who immediately die. Even hardier enemies make it pretty easy to quest right through.

I was playing Boromir/Gandalf/Spirit Merry when I took on this quest Solo. And it's a tricky one for sure. A lot depends on card draw and how quickly the really strong enemies come after you. What I did was get Boromir's defense up quickly or whoever you want that can take repeated high attacks from the Wraith on Wings. And be sure to engage every enemy. Play lots of side quests so you can stall longer and get sweet benefits but keep waiting until Aragorn shows up (it was only 5 turns in my game so it will be a touch longer for you), but the longer you can keep engaging all enemies and defending successfully, the better your board state will be with allies/attachments and the sooner Aragorn will come back. At that point he will be a major turning point and you can proceed against the latter harder half of the scenario. But get someone's defense up to at least 6.

Beregond with extra armor/shields, Boromir or any tactics hero with support of the eagles and some misty mountain eagles and friends (what I did) or the included desperate defense or golden shield are other excellent one time options. 

Thanks for the replies! I was able to make it through with Eowyn (tactics), Eomer (leadership), and Arwen. Tactically, I realized it was better to use Eowyn’s ability early on to kill the Wraith on Wings instead of saving it for the Witch-King fight. I also focused on gaming the second stage (the siege at Osgiliath) to give me more time to set up board state and buy Aragorn some time to show up. This took some doing — I needed an ally with a reasonable health pool, and favorable encounter card draws. Too many locations makes it easier to stall that stage, but led to me becoming location locked later on — I had to hit the right balance where I could clear locations and enemies as they appeared (it also helped that Gandalf was my discarded ally, which bought me plenty of time). Pushing through Stage 3 wasn’t too bad — Leadership Eomer’s ability helped thin out the Witch-King’s reinforcements, and Aragorn with Anduril was perfect for cutting down Orcs. One hitting Stage 5, I dropped two Mumakil and a Haradrim soldier — alongside the Witch-King, I was worried that I would get overwhelmed. Managed to cut down the Witch-King in two turns, and I ignored the Mumakil while using Banner of Elendil and Faramir to juice my questing capabilities. It was very close, but I’m happy to move onto the final expansion for the Saga!