Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

The Firespray should have a rotating arc to the front and back. Change my mind.

Boba isn't overcosted, the chassis is just too efficient with two arcs. It should have been designed a medium-base TIE/SF. But w/ bombs & stuff, etc.

Want to shoot out both arcs? Lock the primary out the back and get an Ion Cannon (which Boba's Slave 1 had).

Want to shoot out the front, but cover your rear? Bombs are a thing. Or take Krassis Trelix.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Firespray, I just think it wasn't designed accurately.

2 minutes ago, ImperialAce95 said:

The Firespray should have a rotating arc to the front and back. Change my mind.

Boba isn't overcosted, the chassis is just too efficient with two arcs. It should have been designed a medium-base TIE/SF. But w/ bombs & stuff, etc.

Want to shoot out both arcs? Lock the primary out the back and get an Ion Cannon (which Boba's Slave 1 had).

Want to shoot out the front, but cover your rear? Bombs are a thing. Or take Krassis Trelix.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Firespray, I just think it wasn't designed accurately.

Swap out TIE/SF for RZ-2 with Rotate being linked to only (white is fine) and I agree since it fits how the Firespray functioned in the movies. Its primary weapons are on the "tail" and can flip front to back.

On 3/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, millertime059 said:

I’ll give you Nymranda if you give me double tap ion TIE/d back.

I loved Nymranda meta, because I beat the pants off it with my Ryad, Vessery, Inquisitor/Omega Leader lists.

I'll second this. I wish Defenders would have the Tie/d title instead of the x/7 in 2.0.  They were underrated by all my opponents until I dropped a ship in the first round of combat.  Had my best run at Adepticon last year, 9th after swiss, running Tie/d's but haven't been able to get consistent damage in 2.0. 

19 hours ago, Npmartian said:

Yes, sometimes. Then you drag a T-70 around the board for 3 turns before flying L'ulo off of the board with an ion and then you realize that maybe they're not so bad after all.

EXTREMELY limited utility.  You have to get two hits that GET THROUGH before ions have any effect.  Very unlikely in most situations.  Hence my unpopular opinion.

11 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

EXTREMELY limited utility.  You have to get two hits that GET THROUGH before ions have any effect.  Very unlikely in most situations.  Hence my unpopular opinion.

That is quite true. However, my fashion of making it more consistent involves shooting them with a Ghost primary first then using VTG to push ion through once they've likely spent their focus for the 4-die attack. All values are given to two significant figures.

Ion w/out focus vs. 2 dice w/focus: 0.4 expected hits, 0.13 expected ion tokens..

Ion w/out focus vs. 2 dice w/out focus: 0.59 expected hits, 0.25 expected ion tokens.

Ion w/focus vs. 2 dice w/focus: 0.70 expected hits, 0.31 expected ion tokens.

Ion w/focus vs. 2 dice w/out focus: 0.84 expected hits, 0.53 expected ion tokens.

Ion at range 1 w/out focus vs. 2 dice w/focus: 0.58 expected hits, 0.26 expected ion tokens.

Ion at range 1 w/out focus vs. 2 dice w/out focus: 0.73 expected hits, 0.42 expected ion tokens.

Ion at range 1 w/focus vs. 2 dice w/out focus: 0.94 expected hits, 0.76 expected ion tokens.

After actually doing some math, I suppose you're right in that the chances are actually pretty low unless you still have your focus (or a target lock, the amount of average hits is pretty similar if I remember correctly) and have stripped theirs. However, I still find the situational utility to be worth the 2 points over dorsal turret, though I will likely experiment with dorsal in the future.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:59 PM, drjkel said:

2.0 is actually way more complex and fiddly than 1.0 but most players are still honeymooning. This'll make the game harder to follow and much harder to get into, which isn't great for long term health of the scene. 

The fact that they doubled down with strain and new obstacles isn't going to help.

I don't believe that 2E is more complex than 1E.  (You've got to be kidding, right?)

I do agree that Strain mechanic and the Autothrusters Cloud is very, very weird and fiddly and the game just didn't need them.  They feel to me like a push to get players to buy stuff they otherwise wouldn't.  Which, you know, is a good goal for sales ... not such a good thing for the rules-set.

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I don't believe that 2E is more complex than 1E.  (You've got to be kidding, right?)

I do agree that Strain mechanic and the Autothrusters Cloud is very, very weird and fiddly and the game just didn't need them.  They feel to me like a push to get players to buy stuff they otherwise wouldn't.  Which, you know, is a good goal for sales ... not such a good thing for the rules-set.

I'm not kidding at all. All the new charge/force tokens and the abilities that rely on them mean there's a whole lot more to track. All those tokens in play, plus the fact that old ones are now reasonable to use means there's a whole lot of effects to be aware of that were non issues before. My 9 year old had no issues understanding 1.0 lists, even when he started at 6 (and tournaments shortly after), but he just gave up trying to understand 2.0, there's too much to track on the board that is not picking your dials.

I mean, this is the "unpopular opinions" thread.

1 minute ago, drjkel said:

I mean, this is the "unpopular opinions" thread.

Fair point.

I will point out that, while I agree that charges and the like seem like a lot more to track on the board, they're (usually) not.  1E had charges ... 1E just didn't have ways to track them.  You just had to remember, or flip the card, or discard the card, or not discard the card (because that caused weirdness) ... and so on.

For most lists in 2E there is no more actual need to use Charge tokens than there was in 1E.  Charge tokens just clean the game rules up, making them -- wait for it! -- less complex.

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

They feel to me like a push to get players to buy stuff they otherwise wouldn't.  Which, you know, is a good goal for sales ... not such a good thing for the rules-set.

In other words, FFG is still running GW's playbook.