Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

If you have the better tactics, winning even harder doesn't help much (especially in a non-tournament situation).

I think you’re starting with a baseline assumption that the lists are equally matched, which is not definitely true. In this case, you will broaden out your bell curve, sure. 

On the other hand, there’s a meta game to be played with this information, and you have agency. Play lists that are less prone to variance, i.e., I won’t play interceptors or A-Wings because I assume my green dice are blank on every face. A local player made it a goal to cut the number of green dice to carry as low as possible, because it reduced his variance in half and required a more tactical style of play. 

11 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I think you’re starting with a baseline assumption that the lists are equally matched, which is not definitely true. In this case, you will broaden out your bell curve, sure. 

On the other hand, there’s a meta game to be played with this information, and you have agency. Play lists that are less prone to variance, i.e., I won’t play interceptors or A-Wings because I assume my green dice are blank on every face. A local player made it a goal to cut the number of green dice to carry as low as possible, because it reduced his variance in half and required a more tactical style of play. 

OK.

Name a list for Imperials in Hyperspace that doesn't rely on variance.

I'll wait.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

OK.

Name a list for Imperials in Hyperspace that doesn't rely on variance.

I'll wait.

Vader/Countdown/Vermeil/Gideon

Vader has the force and his ability to get more mods to mitigate variance. Countdown's ability mitigates variance defensively. Vermeil's ability mitigates variance on offense. Gideon is just a good TIE Fighter. 

Edited by RStan

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RStan said:

Vader has the force and his ability to get more mods to mitigate variance. Countdown's ability mitigates variance defensively. Vermeil's ability mitigates variance on offense. Gideon is just a good TIE Fighter. 

Dont forget howl iden...

Straight up reads "Your opponent does not roll dice "

Edited by Boom Owl

2 minutes ago, RStan said:

Only one of those ships can reroll red dice.

Next.

Just now, Boom Owl said:

Dont forget howl iden...

Straight up reads "Your opponent does not roll dice "

Lol no it doesn't, it gives one TIE fighter 1 to 3 extra hit points.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Next.

Lol no it doesn't, it gives one TIE fighter 1 to 3 extra hit points.

This thread is a good place to have different opinions and find common ground. I disagree with you about dice variance.

Its cool though, because I can totally also appreciate and understand the idea that some people would prefer more of a chess style structure. Its a valid different opinion about X-Wing I don't share. 

X-Wing just has a mix of variance and variance mitigation. I think there are a ton of reasonable mitigation options in every faction. No big deal. Not that complicated. 

Edited by Boom Owl

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I mean technically Vermeil's ability on red dice is better than a reroll.

20 hours ago, Kieransi said:

What opinions do you have that you don't think many other people share? I'll start:

X-Wing is in the process of jumping the shark.

I’m not super invested in arguing about variance, I just think it’s an interesting pillar in how we manage our list-building. If you disagree, that’s cool... 

unpopular forum opinion, probably popular in-store opinion: people aren’t as outraged as they pretend to be on the internet. Angry reacts only, please. 

You give focus

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

Wait, how except with coordinate/Lando ?

You give focus with Jakes ability to ship with something linked to focus, like B-wings or X-wing with foils, getting 2 actions out of 1. So Jake does barrel+ boosts and gives out 2 focus, for 2 more extra linked actions

2 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I’m not super invested in arguing about variance, I just think it’s an interesting pillar in how we manage our list-building. If you disagree, that’s cool... 

unpopular forum opinion, probably popular in-store opinion: people aren’t as outraged as they pretend to be on the internet. Angry reacts only, please. 

Is sad ok?

I found the very same thing.

Some people take Star Wars and this game too seriously.

----------------------------------------------------------

17 hours ago, kris40k said:
17 hours ago, millertime059 said:

and Seventh Sister is secretly one of the best Imperial pilots.

I am attempting to turn this into a popular opinion at the moment. Sister's going into most of my lists, if I'm not flying Vader. 

How do you guys kit her out? Fully loaded or nothing at all? Giving her a Force talent neuters her native ability if you use the talent, so...?

1 minute ago, Force Majeure said:

How do you guys kit her out? Fully loaded or nothing at all? Giving her a Force talent neuters her native ability if you use the talent, so...?

One of two ways. FCS is a given, then either Hate or nothing. Sense _could_ be good, but Hate is really nice for allowing you to spend a force on defense, and still potentially be able to trigger her ability on offense.

Ive pulled it off twice across about 5-6 games with Hate where Hate let me spend a force and still have two to trigger her ability.

46 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

One of two ways. FCS is a given, then either Hate or nothing. Sense _could_ be good, but Hate is really nice for allowing you to spend a force on defense, and still potentially be able to trigger her ability on offense.

Ive pulled it off twice across about 5-6 games with Hate where Hate let me spend a force and still have two to trigger her ability.

Hate also allows you to use her ability in subsequent turns up to 3 times.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Nothing at all or a missile. Hate is also an option for her, but optional. Keep her cheap is my opinion. 

Homing missiles were fun because it allowed her to threaten damage at range 3, and 1 point was probably more than you were going to accomplish at range 3 with 2 primary attack dice against most targets, and you get to save you Force tokens that way. People aren't going to allow you to roll 4 dice with a Target Lock and 2 Force tokens. They did increase the cost on those, however, making it less attractive but not out of the question.

Her ability is nice to push damage through when you are not being targeted by attacks (and as long as there are bigger threats she's not high on  target priority) which is why she is a great ship without any upgrades. Its really not the main reason I use her, though; I really want her 2 Force tokens for survival, as it allows you to tank more shots than you would expect of a 3 agility 4 hp ship. This is also why Hate is an option if you have spare points and want to increase her survival a bit, its pretty cheap for what you can get out of it. But don't let her pilot ability determine your actions. 

I am thinking of changing up missiles to Ions and have been maybe considering Instinctive Aim on her. At 2 pts its not a huge sink and since I don't usually use that slot I don't see it as an opportunity cost like you may with other Force-sensitive pilots, and I know most people dislike the ability, but it allows her to capitalize on her ships linked Boost/BR actions to Focus and still fire with a Focus/Force modded 3 die attack at range 2-3 without defense range bonus or Evade to tank up and still have 1 Force left to mod the shot.  You should still net a point of damage and maybe even get an Ionized target to set up for next round. I haven't put this on the table yet, just kicking it around.

Edited by kris40k

Og bomblet generator on old rebel nym was some of the most unique and fun designs of the original game and i wish its core was kept inact but nerfed (low ini+higher cost for nym) but still with unlimited bomblets you can stop from detonating.