Jump to content
Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Eh.. no

The word opinion by the dictionary means  "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." -The Dictionary.  Its synonyms include the word belief which is exclusively always a matter of preference and has absolutely nothing to do with logic, proof or an argument.


I think you need to get a new dictionary.  "Belief" is certainly not always a matter of preference nor is it something that has nothing to do with logic, proof, or argument (opinions are not, either).  Beliefs are views that we hold, or rather, statements we assume to be true.  In the case of empirical beliefs, they may actually turn out to be true or false depending on the state of the external world and how well my belief corresponds to that.

For instance, I believe that the earth is round and generally spherical.  It also turns out that it happens to be a matter of fact that the world is spherical, given overwhelming observations and models that cohere with and correspond to this fact.  In this case, my belief that the earth is spherical is a belief that is both justified (strong reasons for believing it) and true (corresponds with the external reality).  When we speak of knowledge, epistemologists often point to something like Justified True Beliefs (J.T.B.s) as counting as knowledge, see for instance: The Gettier Problem.  I also believe that right now my X-Wing collection is at my house in a Plano case in the basement.  I'm certainly justified in this belief (I have no reason to think otherwise, and it's the inference to the best explanation), but whether it is true or not depends on the state of the world at this very moment.  So do I know that my X-Wing collection is home in its Plano?  Maybe my house burned down and my collection melted and long gone. Maybe my wife has, finally tired of my childish hobby, taken and pawned the collection. Maybe a burglar has absconded with it.  Maybe a raccoon has gotten into the house and pried open the case and sprinkled my collection across the floor.  Maybe I'm just in the Matrix and my collection is a series of 0s and 1s that are a figment or our collective imaginations, man... what do we really know... dude... ?  But we settle these kinds of beliefs by looking out at the world: IS it the case that this belief is an accurate reflection of the state of external reality?  That and that alone makes such beliefs true or false.


Opinions are often used to indicate the sorts of beliefs that might track more closely with subjective preferences or value judgments, or at the very least the sorts of beliefs that are non-empirical.  They tend to deal with issues that are more subjective than objective. For instance, someone might have the belief that access to basic healthcare is a fundamental human right, or that a hot dog is a sandwich, or that Ant Man and the Wasp is their favorite MCU movie.  Here you have a moral issue, a conceptual terminological issue, and a matter of taste.  We cannot resolve these by going out and observing/measuring the world.  We could evaluate them, support them, or challenge them in a variety of important ways, but they are very different than other kinds of beliefs.   But we can't ask IS this sort of belief an accurate reflection of the state of external reality?  We might ask SHOULD we as a society treat access to basic healthcare as a fundamental human right?  Put different, ought we have a duty to provide such a thing?  Should we call a hot dog a sandwich, or is this a gross misuse of the term?  Should someone think Ant-Man and the Wasp is their favorite MCU movie?  Asking these kinds of questions is, in some case, of utmost importance (what are our human rights and duties?), and in some cases occasionally of practical import (well, if a sandwich place has a non-compete clause as their agreement with their leasor, can that leasor lease out space to a hotdog vendor as well, or does this violate their contract with the sandwich place?), or of utterly no practical significance (does it matter what another human being's personal tastes and preferences are with regards to their enjoyment of the MCU?).

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, knute said:

But did you meet Heinlein? Because as we all know, Heinlein > Asimov. 

My favorite anecdotal story from Heinlein was about the time the navy tapped him for a special project and asked him to pick his own team. First on his list was Isaac Asimov, who was 3 months away from the defense of his doctoral thesis. 

Asimov never forgave Heinlein for that one. 

Never met Heinlein, which I will regret forever.

If he were still around, what would he say about the state of the Star Wars universe?  I don't recall if he had an opinion on the OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

Never met Heinlein, which I will regret forever.

If he were still around, what would he say about the state of the Star Wars universe?  I don't recall if he had an opinion on the OT.

Needs more questions depictions of sex?

I like Heinlein, and think he is one of the most fascinating of the golden age sci fi writers, as his books invariably have a much more intentional perspective and political mind. Not one I agree with per se, but it gives his books a nice intellectual crunch, and a window into the writer.

But late period writings got weird, and went to some very questionable places. Which makes him even more fascinating to study, in a way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, player3010587 said:

I Kant get behind modernity, but some political-Sartre gets some high Marx for its Schlick design and its tendency to Camus to some fascinating conclusions. I don't Nietzsche it, but I appreciate its clever Wittgenstein.

Correction. THIS is why people hate moral philosophers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dr Moneypants said:

Correction. THIS is why people hate moral philosophers.


Your response seems a little Mill-itant.  I think we just got off on the wrong Foot.  Don't you have a sense of Hume-or?  Take off your target Locke and ease down, flyboy.   I know moral philosophy can be a little Ayer-noying, and it can leave us feeling dazed and Confucious'd.  It can even Mackie me feel like pulling my Hare out, at times.  But we'Rawls in this together, and if we want to build the best society we need to Unger-stand the nature of morality so that we can strive for human flourishing, thus enabling us to all get so much Moore out of life. 

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


This response seems a little Mill-itant.  I think we just got off on the wrong Foot.  Don't you have a sense of Hume-or?  Take off your target Locke and ease down, flyboy.   I know moral philosophy can be a little Ayer-noying, and it can leave us feeling dazed and Confucious.  It can even Mackie me feel like pulling my Hare out, at times.  But we'Rawls in this together, and if we want to build the best society we need to Unger-stand the nature of morality so that we can strive for human flourishing and can all get so much Moore out of life. 

Willard Van Orman Quine.

That's all I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I think you need to get a new dictionary.  "Belief" is certainly not always a matter of preference...

I gave you a like just because of how well written this is. A+. Gold star.

Edited by Parakitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

Hohoho, that’s interesting. What do you propose is right (usually just FCS and Debris Gambit for me)

Well, considering how you fly him with a Reaper, I would say that you are building him just fine. Coordinate a defensive token and then take a lock on the optimal target. FCS allows you to have a TIE Defender-like defense on the next round when you further chase that target. ****, I thought my opinion was unpopular. Let's try that again.
 

I think Elusive Maarek + coordinating Palp support is pretty good in extended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Well, considering how you fly him with a Reaper, I would say that you are building him just fine. Coordinate a defensive token and then take a lock on the optimal target. FCS allows you to have a TIE Defender-like defense on the next round when you further chase that target. ****, I thought my opinion was unpopular. Let's try that again.
 

I think Elusive Maarek + coordinating Palp support is pretty good in extended.

No, I can dig that. Flown palp Maarek plenty with good success.

Leia Y swarms make it cry though. But otherwise fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Delta 7B should be scalar in its costing. FFG was right to make it so.

Ahsoka, the only named I3, is more expensive than all of the I4's, including a 3 force Jedi Master. The reason for this is her ability is seriously good. Support ships typically don't scale their costs with initiative as much as they scale their costs with their support abilities. When we're talking about a ship with 2 red dice, this all makes sense.

Delta 7B turns a near-strictly support ship into a fighter, much like CLT. CLT already addresses costing the lower-init people as significantly less valuable than high init pilots as a result of the ease of lining up the bullseye on preferred targets. As a result, it needs to scale only softly. However, because 7B only changes stats, it would be possible for I4 to be cheaper than I3, which would be problematic for a config that encourages being more of an active combatant and not a support ship. And even with the Ahsoka ability aside, given that the I5 are not that natively more expensive than I4, if you are flying 7B with a fixed cost, without making use of the support abilities, there would be no reason to take an I4.

TL;DR: Jedi are base-costed more heavily according to ability than to initiative, reflecting their support status. 7B needs to be scalar as it is the only way to balance 7B as a starfighter so that initiative is costed in a similar fashion to all the other starfighters in the game.

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Delta 7B should be scalar in its costing. FFG was right to make it so.

Ahsoka, the only named I3, is more expensive than all of the I4's, including a 3 force Jedi Master. The reason for this is her ability is seriously good. Support ships typically don't scale their costs with initiative as much as they scale their costs with their support abilities. When we're talking about a ship with 2 red dice, this all makes sense.

Delta 7B turns a near-strictly support ship into a fighter, much like CLT. CLT already addresses costing the lower-init people as significantly less valuable than high init pilots as a result of the ease of lining up the bullseye on preferred targets. As a result, it needs to scale only softly. However, because 7B only changes stats, it would be possible for I4 to be cheaper than I3, which would be problematic for a config that encourages being more of an active combatant and not a support ship. And even with the Ahsoka ability aside, given that the I5 are not that natively more expensive than I4, if you are flying 7B with a fixed cost, without making use of the support abilities, there would be no reason to take an I4.

TL;DR: Jedi are base-costed more heavily according to ability than to initiative, reflecting their support status. 7B needs to be scalar as it is the only way to balance 7B as a starfighter so that initiative is costed in a similar fashion to all the other starfighters in the game.

So price as fast moving 2 red, 3 green support ships with the exception of the Knight, Anakin and Mace? Count me as one who agrees.

When comparing V1 Inquisitor vs Delta 7 Knight don't forget the slot tax for the ability to equip cheap astromechs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Astros can add regen and crit removal for fairly cheap. Sensors don't.

Sensors add free rerolls and ignoring rocks and non-force Supernatural Reflexes.  Astros don't.


They're both good slots, both of which the relevant ship presumably pays for.

 

Further, the V1 gets linked actions and has the dial to make use of them.

 

The comparison seems pretty apt to me.  it's not directly 1:1, but it's close enough that i@m surprised they're more expensive, when the V1 is already... well, not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

The comparison seems pretty apt to me.  it's not directly 1:1, but it's close enough that i@m surprised they're more expensive, when the V1 is already... well, not good.

After only 3 games with CLT and R4P17 on Mace as filler, I'm convinced that any Mace Windu build is straight up superior to any Grand Inky build. And I suck with Republic far more than I do with Empire, so that has to say something about where the V1 is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

After only 3 games with CLT and R4P17 on Mace as filler, I'm convinced that any Mace Windu build is straight up superior to any Grand Inky build. And I suck with Republic far more than I do with Empire, so that has to say something about where the V1 is.

Inky is 10 points more and has one less Force and for me a worse ability so yeah. The i5 is the only thing he's better at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...