Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

On 3/15/2019 at 7:55 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

I value the existence and sharing of facts, logic, and reasoning.  Certain types of people don't.

Well said.

In the words of Harlan Ellison;

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

And, of course, as the late, great Douglas Adams once said;

”All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

On 3/15/2019 at 2:57 PM, player3010587 said:

Passive sensors definitely seem to be the star on Phantoms [no more Tarkin shenanigans needed for Whisper to lock!], but my puffin belief here is that they will be dope on lower-init Punishers, generic Inquisitors, and generic SF's. And slamming gunboats no longer have to fear! They will also be killer on TIE X1's, even if they cost up to 6pt a piece.

Can we also appreciate how it offers the choice of lock or calculate? If it appears that you won't get what you want in arc, you can take a calculate for defense. Sure, it's weaker than focus, but it's a nice failsafe and sort of thematic for your ship's advanced computer auto-pilot thingy trying to react to what just happened.

One thing which just struck me about Passive Sensors on a TIE/sf.  If you use it for a Lock action, you'll be able to rotate your arc.

12 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

5 Resistance A-Wings are straight bs against anything that isn't alpha strike. They have too many mods for too little of a cost. And they're turrets with the best dial in the game. Seven months in and FFG is already powercreeping the game with OP turrets. This is a new record.

Good, because those A-Wings make my scum lists viable and competitive again. A-Wings are not all powerful, they just need to be adapted to. #notskeered 

30 minutes ago, Dr Moneypants said:

Good, because those A-Wings make my scum lists viable and competitive again. A-Wings are not all powerful, they just need to be adapted to. #notskeered 

They need to be adapted to not be x5 turrets that suffer no consequence upon rolling blanks. Heroic + Optics is too much for too cheap.

For all the AAAAA players, the hardest part of flying that list is the kick in the wallet-balls you get in order to fly it. Everything is just "flyaway from them with an OP dial, a turret, and double mods on offense and defense, a la the 1.0 specialty.

As an aside, how coincidental that two of the best ships of the format require for one to spend $100 on top of the core set that they already bought. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

They need to be adapted to not be x5 turrets that suffer no consequence upon rolling blanks. Heroic + Optics is too much for too cheap.

For all the AAAAA players, the hardest part of flying that list is the kick in the wallet-balls you get in order to fly it. Everything is just "flyaway from them with an OP dial, a turret, and double mods on offense and defense, a la the 1.0 specialty.

I am of the opinion that RZ-2 A-wings require skill to fly. I've faced it twice with different lists and beat it both times:

1) triple selfless veteran turret gunner Y-wings + Wedge

2) double Upsilons + Quickdraw

I have no doubt Resistance A-wings are good, but I don't think they are OP.

/(un)popularopinion

Edited by Parakitor

8 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

As an aside, how coincidental that two of the best ships of the format require for one to spend $100 on top of the core set that they already bought. 

I know you're wedded to the concept that 'these are too good, plz nerf', but I'm telling you they're not. They're strong, but require thinking and skill to fly and if your list is having trouble with them, try another list, it may just be that 5A is a weak point for the list you're flying, but I'm telling you there are things that can put a hurting on them (Lando Falcons, rebel Alpha, Reapers with Phasma).

33 minutes ago, ThinkingB said:

Partisan, Dutch, Wedge, Biggs costs $90. Boba, Han, Teroch- $90. Vader, Vermeil, Gideon, Countdown- $90. 

Every list costs around a hundred bucks on top of the coreset. 

19 minutes ago, svelok said:

Partisan, Dutch, Wedge, Biggs costs $90. Boba, Han, Teroch- $90. Vader, Vermeil, Gideon, Countdown- $90. 

Yes, but each of those pieces can be used in other lists. Your 5th A-wing is currently only going to be used in a 5 A-wing list.

What is of more value? Black Squad scout at 38, or Lulo? Hmmmmmmm. Thonking. Tallie or a naked Evaan for 35? Gee, I can't tell which is a better bargain. I mean Tallie is a bit expensive, she's an entire point more than the base naked SF! 

4 hours ago, svelok said:

I stand with your point, but I sometimes run budget lists of 45 or 60 USD.

5 hours ago, Parakitor said:

I am of the opinion that RZ-2 A-wings require skill to fly. I've faced it twice with different lists and beat it both times:

I can't speak to five RZ-2s, but I can say that in my three attempts to fly three of them (along with a 75-point Nien), I've gotten spanked hard.  Even so, I have noticeably improved from game to game.  So my personal experience has been that RZ-2 A-wings require skill to fly ... and it's gonna be tough to convince me otherwise.

(Oh, and since this is the Unpopular Opinions thread, I'll add this: I don't find RZ-2s fun to fly, and I regret building the list using them.)

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

Well said.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

”All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

I have a personal addendum that I add to a common saying.

Opinions are like **** holes... everybody has one.  But some are sh\ttier than others.

Edited by MikeEvans

20 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

Well said.

Adams' view conflicts with Ellison's.  Ellison I can't agree with.  You ARE entitled to your opinion, that is, to HAVE an opinion.  Whether and to what degree your opinion is "informed" goes to weight, not admissibility (to use legal terminology).  Which seems to be Adams' point.

4 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

You ARE entitled to your opinion, that is, to HAVE an opinion.  Whether and to what degree your opinion is "informed" goes to weight, not admissibility

I think the point, in both cases, is that you shouldn’t let your opinion be set in stone... you should be prepared to update it as you are presented with new information. Very much like assumptions, of which Asimov wrote;

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”

;)

19 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

One thing which just struck me about Passive Sensors on a TIE/sf.  If you use it for a Lock action, you'll be able to rotate your arc.

Well spotted. That makes the upgrade even better for the /sf; you either lock&rotate if there is a target you can engage, or Calculate and hope you don't draw too much fire.

Unpopular opinion: people are going to complain about this load-out being too powerful, despite the cost in points (and cash, to obtain enough copies of the card...).

Posted (edited)

The separatist droid ships are cooler looking and more alpha then the low T alphabet-wing rebel ships and  the beta TIE-nouns of the Empire. The prequel factions should of been included in 1.0 also.

The Star Wars expanded universe was (and still is) only palatable between New Republic and Prequel Era (movies 1-3). TOR feels like a fan fiction. 

Edited by EnsignTuna

8 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

I think the point, in both cases, is that you shouldn’t let your opinion be set in stone... you should be prepared to update it as you are presented with new information. Very much like assumptions, of which Asimov wrote;

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”

;)

I always did like Asimov better than Ellison.  And I met them both.

34 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

I liked Asimov better, too.  Asimov is easily in the top 3 science-fiction writers of all time for me.  

Unpopular X-Wing opinion:  I believe the Scyks are in a good spot at the moment, with a nice array of pilots, pilot abilities, and build options.  Also, Starvipers are IMO the funnest ship in the game to fly.

The prequel trilogy's production design is just as impressive as the original trilogy's, and the sequels' biggest weakness is that theirs is not.

The abilities that tend to get dismissed as gimmicky, i.e. Boba Fett (crew), are much more interesting and fun to play with and against than the more straightforward abilities that end up being strongest, i.e. Boba Fett (pilot). I think simple and mathematically strong abilities should cost more than they're worth, and positional and situational abilities should cost less than they're expected to be worth, to encourage unorthodox list concepts.

7 minutes ago, AdmiralKirk said:

The prequel trilogy's production design is just as impressive as the original trilogy's, and the sequels' biggest weakness is that theirs is not.

Some parts are (the Praetorian Guard fight is probably the best lightsaber fight put to film thus far) but the space fight stuff is pretty mediocre.

Scarif is the best space fight in Star Wars, followed by the opening of Revenge of the Sith.

20 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

But did you meet Heinlein? Because as we all know, Heinlein > Asimov. 

My favorite anecdotal story from Heinlein was about the time the navy tapped him for a special project and asked him to pick his own team. First on his list was Isaac Asimov, who was 3 months away from the defense of his doctoral thesis. 

Asimov never forgave Heinlein for that one. 

On 3/15/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

This is an unfortunately common misconception, and (of course) becoming more so in a post-facts Trumpian world.

"Opinion" and "preference" are not formally synonyms, although in colloquial speech they are often used as such.  Specifically, a preference is distinct from an opinion because while a preference often might be supported by reasoning and logic, it doesn't need to be supported by reasoning and logic.

Opinions, on the other hand, do.  There's a reason that the issue of a court is called an "opinion."

There's a similar misconception about the words "argument" and "quarrel."

These wouldn't bother me so much -- I know linguistic drift happens, generally speaking, and I'm fine with that -- except that these two words -- "opinion" and "argument" -- have actual, valuable meaning that is not imparted by "preference" and "quarrel," and when the "opinion" and "argument" are used incorrectly as synonyms for "preference" and "quarrel" (which, again, is becoming more and more common), they can be actively misleading to an educated reader.

I value the existence and sharing of facts, logic, and reasoning.  Certain types of people don't.  Reader, which type are you?

Eh.. no

The word opinion by the dictionary means  "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." -The Dictionary.  Its synonyms include the word belief which is exclusively always a matter of preference and has absolutely nothing to do with logic, proof or an argument.

Besides its very clear that the OP intended for people to voice their personal opinions (In this case their presumed unpopular opinions), aka, their preferences.

5 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Eh.. no

The word opinion by the dictionary means  "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge." -The Dictionary.  Its synonyms include the word belief which is exclusively always a matter of preference and has absolutely nothing to do with logic, proof or an argument.

Besides its very clear that the OP intended for people to voice their personal opinions (In this case their presumed unpopular opinions), aka, their preferences.

This is why people hate moral philosophers

4 minutes ago, Dr Moneypants said:

This is why people hate moral philosophers

I Kant get behind modernity, but some political-Sartre gets some high Marx for its Schlick design and its tendency to Camus to some fascinating conclusions. I don't Nietzsche it, but I appreciate its clever Wittgenstein.