Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

29 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Oof, be glad I double checked to remind myself this is the unpopular opinion thread.

At 3+ it'll see play on Whisper, and no one else. At that or less, it'll make a whole slew of currently unplayable generics see table time.

Thank you folks for the clarification over actions not appearing on the bar. I was looking for reasons why Passive Sensors wouldn't work on Tie Phantoms in particular.

Hadn't realised that Tua was potentially useful, whereas I had realised that Sabine worked.

15 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It just needs to have a Lock requirement errated in.  I suspect that's either an incomplete version or an error, and the final English print with have a Lock requirement.

Or have the price vary depending on whether you have the lock action natively or not. 

12 hours ago, Ambigatos said:

I still miss Backstabber.

I kind of do, but I personally quite like what's now implied. After all, DS-61-3 "Backstabber" was Vader's left-hand wingman. Unlike DS-61-2 "Mauler" Mithel, we never actually knew what his name was pre-canon-reset.

Backstabber's artwork is now used for Valen Rudor.

Given that his major contribution to the battle of Yavin was flying into his boss in a moment of inexplicable ineptitude, I like the theory that the use of common artwork is because Valen Rudor is/was "Backstabber" post Lothal - his call number LS-60-7 is based on being assinged to Lothal and would have changed wherever he ended up post the end of Rebels.  

Baron Von Incompetence's track record certainly gives him the potential to screw up that way.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Why, if you don't mind explaining?

To me personally (aka in my personal opinion), Tournaments should have a stronger connection to the theme of the game.  As they are today they are just "competitions" without any real concern with the setting or theme of the game, giving them a very "disconnected" feeling, where the story and theme of the game don't matter and its just about mechanic manipulation.  This is the biggest turn off for me in competitive play, the sort of exclusive focus on "winning", rather than just creating a fun reason for people to get together and play a Star Wars game.  I mean at tournaments, the fact that we are playing a Star Wars game isn't even a part of the experience, we may just as well skip the use of the models and use tokens to make the games more accurate and move faster as their aesthetics are a burden to tournaments in the way they are formatted.

I would personally like to see the tournaments be organized into a more "short campaign mode" where players are teamed up by faction, their is some sort of story to the tournament and their are strategic goals for the team and people can win together.  Make it a more social event and experience rather than a cut-throat competition.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:42 AM, Fourtytwo said:

I don't care about opinions - they mean absolutely nothing . I care about reasons and arguments on which opinions stand, and these are the only indicators as to how strong or how weak a given opinion is. Any opinion uttered whithout giving any reason for it can be dismissed out of hand.

It's my opinion that the color blue is my favorite color.

How do you expect someone to make an argument for that?

Opinions don't require arguments, reasons or logic, because they are based on preference and you can't argue preference to someone.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Okapi said:

At that or less, it'll make a whole slew of currently unplayable generics see table time.

For Empire, yes. But it is still a sensory slot, though, not too prevalent on most other ships. Not really a whole slew apart from Empire, but still helpful for the ones below as of now:

Empire: 7 /1 in Hyperspace (Gunbloat, Lambda, Adv v1, Adv x1, Punisher, Defender, Phantom)

Rebels: 4/1 (B-wing, E-wing, U-wing, VCX)

Scum: 3/0(!) (IG2000, G1A, Starviper)

First Order: 2/2 (TIE SF, Upsilon)

Resistance: 1/1 (StarFortress )

As for the topic:

Stygium Array, but especially Full Throttle are not good for the game, especially as you also can automate Juke by this. At least unlike 1st edition it is an action, and thus can be disturbed. But it is still easy mode free stuff. Same with Vader crew, just point and click your arc (not even bullseye).

And a probably really unpopular one:

Empire is one of the weakest StarWars films out there (not counting prequels here). Pretty much railroaded, no particular beginning and an open end. Show it anyone not knowing Star Wars franchise at all, as their first film, and they wont understand that much. Would be an interesting experiment, how they would rate the film.

Edited by Managarmr
spelling

2 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Empire is one of the weakest StarWars films out there. Pretty much railroaded, no particular beginning and an open end. Show it anyone not knowing Star Wars franchise at all, as their first film, and they wont understand that much. Would be an interesting experiment, how they would rate the film.

Not to mention, Empire set up the trend of having a REALLY grim and dire middle film in the trilogy, and people have been cargo culting it ever since until it got twisted into 'hideous abuser and torturer just straight up wins' in Infinity War.

34 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

For Empire, yes. But it is still a sensory slot, though, not too prevalent on most other ships. Not really a whole slew apart from Empire, but still helpful for the ones below as of now:

Empire: 7 /1 in Hyperspace (Gunbloat, Lambda, Adv v1, Adv x1, Punisher, Defender, Phantom)

Rebels: 4/1 (B-wing, E-wing, U-wing, VCX)

Scum: 3/0(!) (IG2000, G1A, Starviper)

First Order: 2/2 (TIE SF, Upsilon)

Resistance: 1/1 (StarFortress )

Semantics I guess, but I'd say 17 ships counts as a whole slew. Realistically though, this will only be useful for half of them, and the only ace it'll see play in is Whisper and maybe Vader. Generic Phantoms and Defender needs their focus to stay tanky, Upsilons and Lambdas will coordinate, IG-2000 will typically boost or calculate, StarVipers will roll, and the Starfortress will focus.

If this thing does drop at 2 points, it'll be a boon to I1-2 pilots for Gunboats, x1s, v1s, B-Wings, U-Wings and SFs, all of which are considered average to bad and see very little play. The only downside would be a very minor boost to Whisper, since it wouldn't improve action economy,  wouldn't improve offensive output unless paired with Fifth Brother or a Lambda, and would still have a cost (however minor). I really like the fact that it's a sensor, since it forces the player to choose between this and FCS.

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Not to mention, Empire set up the trend of having a REALLY grim and dire middle film in the trilogy, and people have been cargo culting it ever since until it got twisted into 'hideous abuser and torturer just straight up wins' in Infinity War.

Not so much an upopular opionion. I agree. Empire was good, but the slobbering over it as the "greatest" Star Wars film is pretty cringey.

And I just can't get over the sequence where the two ISDs fly straight into each other. That part makes zero sense. 

9 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

It's my opinion that the color blue is my favorite color.

How do you expect someone to make an argument for that?

Opinions don't require arguments, reasons or logic, because they are based on preference and you can't argue preference to someone.  

Welcome to the internet!  You must be new here.  You... may not like it. /s/

Tie Strikers are, all around, non-competitive ships that I always am happy to face off against. They are bad and will continue to be bad for as long as ailerons says "must" instead of "may". This is a shame because all of its pilots are rather compelling and interesting.  

Posted (edited)

Passive sensors definitely seem to be the star on Phantoms [no more Tarkin shenanigans needed for Whisper to lock!], but my puffin belief here is that they will be dope on lower-init Punishers, generic Inquisitors, and generic SF's. And slamming gunboats no longer have to fear! They will also be killer on TIE X1's, even if they cost up to 6pt a piece.

Can we also appreciate how it offers the choice of lock or calculate? If it appears that you won't get what you want in arc, you can take a calculate for defense. Sure, it's weaker than focus, but it's a nice failsafe and sort of thematic for your ship's advanced computer auto-pilot thingy trying to react to what just happened.

Edited by player3010587

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

And slamming gunboats no longer have to fear!

🤨 SLAMing gunboats cannot make use of SLAM (specifies that it can only be done during the Perform Action step of the ship's activation) and Passive Sensors (same limitation as SLAM and does not add an action to the action bar) in the same activation, even if using Advanced SLAM (requires the action performed to be a white one from the ship's action bar).

Edited by Hiemfire

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 SLAMing gunboats cannot make use of SLAM (specifies that it can only be done during the Perform Action step of the ship's activation) and Passive Sensors (same limitation as SLAM and does not add an action to the action bar) in the same activation, even if using Advanced SLAM (requires the action performed to be a white one from the ship's action bar).

Big oof

I think still it will be good on low Init Os-1 gunboats because you really only run into not-in-range-yet problem on the initial approach, in which right now you can Adv SLAM in to get range 3 during your activation, but then you risk a higher init target diving into your range 1 band and avoiding the torpedoes. With this you just sit back and let them come to you, instead of rushing forward and getting doughnut holed. You also get your choice of target at Initiative ∞ to see who may or may not have dove into range 1 or arc dodged your slow-roll approach.

After the initial range dance, you don't really have the problems of getting the lock when turning around with Adv SLAM and Passive Sensors are not as necessary anymore but may come in handy to get defensive Calculates if someone dodged your arc.

11 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

This is an unfortunately common misconception, and (of course) becoming more so in a post-facts Trumpian world.

"Opinion" and "preference" are not formally synonyms, although in colloquial speech they are often used as such.  Specifically, a preference is distinct from an opinion because while a preference often might be supported by reasoning and logic, it doesn't need to be supported by reasoning and logic.

Opinions, on the other hand, do.  There's a reason that the issue of a court is called an "opinion."

There's a similar misconception about the words "argument" and "quarrel."

These wouldn't bother me so much -- I know linguistic drift happens, generally speaking, and I'm fine with that -- except that these two words -- "opinion" and "argument" -- have actual, valuable meaning that is not imparted by "preference" and "quarrel," and when the "opinion" and "argument" are used incorrectly as synonyms for "preference" and "quarrel" (which, again, is becoming more and more common), they can be actively misleading to an educated reader.

I value the existence and sharing of facts, logic, and reasoning.  Certain types of people don't.  Reader, which type are you?

6 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

Tie Strikers are, all around, non-competitive ships that I always am happy to face off against. They are bad and will continue to be bad for as long as ailerons says "must" instead of "may". This is a shame because all of its pilots are rather compelling and interesting.  

Ooh, why I oughta...!

It's a good thing you posted here instead of some other thread or else... well, I guess I couldn't do anything to you because I fly TIE strikers. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

Ooh, why I oughta...!

It's a good thing you posted here instead of some other thread or else... well, I guess I couldn't do anything to you because I fly TIE strikers. 🤷‍♂️

We'll defeat him together, Tier lists don't mean anything when we have NUMBERS.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

This is an unfortunately common misconception, and (of course) becoming more so in a post-facts Trumpian world.

Looks like we need a new Godwin's Law, but specific to Trump.  Maybe we should name it "Wilder's Law" :"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1."

Posted (edited)

Extended is as popular as it is because it's the most familiar format but as the game progresses, Hyperspace will be far more maintainable than Extended and an increasingly-better format.

Edited by AceWing
Grammar

5 Resistance A-Wings are straight bs against anything that isn't alpha strike. They have too many mods for too little of a cost. And they're turrets with the best dial in the game. Seven months in and FFG is already powercreeping the game with OP turrets. This is a new record.

2 hours ago, ThinkingB said:

5 Resistance A-Wings are straight bs against anything that isn't alpha strike. They have too many mods for too little of a cost. And they're turrets with the best dial in the game. Seven months in and FFG is already powercreeping the game with OP turrets. This is a new record.

If a world where 5x As with 2 reds and 4 health are so amazing is wrong then I never want to be right.  

Also seen the list chewed up by Y wings so currently believing this is still the best timeline.