Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Probably going to be fairly expensive I think (5+).

Looked at as a "look, no range limits" on target locking, it's essentially equivalent to Colonel Jendon's ability, which is about 3 points for a squad, but only two uses. However, it's not just garuanteeing you get a lock, it's also garuanteeing you get a lock on someone you actually have a shot on, or else letting you retroactively trade that lock back in for a defensive calculate. So even for ships with a native lock action, that's got to be up there with extra-action-granting abilities like collision detector or afterburners.

The fact that it doesn't have lock as a prerequisite is surprising - It's also going to be an option for the Lambda Shuttle, by the way - and will need to take into account the TIE Phantom. 

1 minute ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Looked at as a "look, no range limits" on target locking, it's essentially equivalent to Colonel Jendon's ability, which is about 3 points for a squad, but only two uses. However, it's not just garuanteeing you get a lock, it's also garuanteeing you get a lock on someone you actually have a shot on, or else letting you retroactively trade that lock back in for a defensive calculate. So even for ships with a native lock action, that's got to be up there with extra-action-granting abilities like collision detector or afterburners.

The fact that it doesn't have lock as a prerequisite is surprising - It's also going to be an option for the Lambda Shuttle, by the way - and will need to take into account the TIE Phantom. 

If it wasn't for the Phantom I'd be expectinig it around 3 points. With it as an option for the Phantoms the extra action economy it provides needs to be a bit pricier.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Gilarius said:

Perhaps it doesn't grant the Lock action to the ship's action bar it's on? There's no symbol on the right hand side either.

If that's the case than the Calculate is useless on almost any ship that equips it. IIRC "perform a(n) X Action" overrides the usual action bar restrictions (Afterburners).

Edited by impspy

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:31 PM, Koing907 said:

The crit deck will always be working against any attempts to improve large ships. 2.0 crits are much more impactful than 1.0, and large ships tend to have a lot of hull to accumulate those crits.

I am thinking large ships may need their own damage deck to truly be fixed

15 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

Perhaps it doesn't grant the Lock action to the ship's action bar it's on? There's no symbol on the right hand side either.

Nah, SNR doesn't add the actions to the action bar and still allows the ship to perform a BR or Boost action. It even calls out that a ship that doesn't have the action in its bar takes a damage. So, its not required to be on the action bar if an upgrade card states to perform the action, you still can do it. Same with Afterburners and more.

4 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Doesn't matter, it allows you to Acquire a Lock, which doesn't need the action to do.

Actually, its a [Calculate] or [Lock] action, not Acquire a Lock. Which is important, as stress can prevent it. 

I suspect it will be priced out of Quad Sigmas. At 4, it becomes a genuine option over 3 copies of Juke. So 5 or 6. Which is expensive for what it does, particularly for multiple generics. I feel like 1-3 in a squad will be the sweet spot, with 3 maybe ending up somewhat one dimensional, squad wise. 

Personally fancy it quite strongly on Juke, 5th Bro Echo. A flanker that is hard to catch and even harder to ignore. 5pt would make me hesitate on using it there, 4pt would not.

6 hours ago, Giledhil said:

This game needs a rule to force players to take at least 1/3 of their squad points in non-unique pilots.

I couldn't agree more.  I've suggested a similar system previously.  One of the few things GW ever did right was its 40K FOC.

41 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Either way, it doesn't need the action on the bar, which is the point.

I don't think that's correct: does Minister Tua allow a ship without reinforce to take that action? (Might only apply to Reapers at the moment, but it might have been used by Tie Phantoms before they lost their crew slot.)

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gilarius said:

I don't think that's correct: does Minister Tua allow a ship without reinforce to take that action? (Might only apply to Reapers at the moment, but it might have been used by Tie Phantoms before they lost their crew slot.)

Yes. Following your logic, does that mean you believe Sabine Wrenn cannot boost because both Rebel ships she pilots don't have that action? Or that an x1 with Afterburners cannot utilize the upgrade? Same exact thing.

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

Yes, she does, but only when qualifying conditions are met (damaged, beginning of engagement) as she does not add the action to the action bar. 

You could use it to get a reinforce on a TIE Reaper, but I haven't seen much use case for that. 

In any case, ask yourself this:

latest?cb=20180604183117

How can Darth Vader with Afterburners (a very typical card combination) perform a Boost action if he does not have the Boost action on his action bar, and this card does not add it to the action bar?

Edited by kris40k

8 minutes ago, kris40k said:

How can Darth Vader with Afterburners (a very typical card combination) perform a Boost action if he does not have the Boost action on his action bar, and this card does not add it to the action bar?

Cards that tell you "perform an X action" (eg Tua) don't care about your bar. Cards that say "you may perform an action" (eg Vader) do.