Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

6 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Can you enlighten me?  Reddit is off limits...

Sensor slot, not faction locked. One charge recurring.

As your one perform action step action, you can spend one charge. While charge is spent, you can't be coordinated. When you engage, if charge is spent, you can perform either a lock or calculate action.

3 hours ago, player2072913 said:

There are only 3 good Star Wars films. Star Wars, Empire, and The Last Jedi. The others range from mediocre to downright terrible. 

Oh I see, you just added that last one so that the post would qualify for this "unpopular opinion" thread.  Smart.

8 hours ago, Firebird TMK said:

Just think of them as training exercises. 

That's a cool notion. 

4 hours ago, Giledhil said:

This game needs a rule to force players to take at least 1/3 of their squad points in non-unique pilots.

And only 1 Large base ship. 

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'm not actually that keen on bacon.

Or pizza.

1 hour ago, Rodafowa said:

I mean, I don't totally disagree. But I think it's got a use as a thing to distinguish big multi-crewed command-shuttle type ships, where you're taking a significant hit in points to get it into your list.

Both Reinforce and Coordinate should have been left as Epic Only.

Or, as you state, very gently sprinkled on low offense, command style ships. 

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Spend an action during your action step, acquire the lock at start of engagement.

There's some other waffle to stop it from being a co-ordinatable action, but that's the gist of it.

1 hour ago, svelok said:

As your one perform action step action, you can spend one charge. While charge is spent, you can't be coordinated. When you engage, if charge is spent, you can perform either a lock or calculate action.

Oh, dear god, the TIE/x1 advanced needs these so much. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, svelok said:

As someone who likes putting low init TIE/x1's on the table, I just made a bit of a mess. ****, this may be glued to Vader since he can then spend a Force to Barrel Roll at Initiative ∞ and decide to grab a Focus if needed.

That's beside the point of bringing low Initiative TIE/sa's, /ca's or Os-1 Gunboats back to the table. Stress will keep it in check some since its a Lock Action and not Acquire a Lock. Right now I typically use Coordinate to get Vader a Lock -> Focus (Force) before executing a t-roll or k-turn. Could still do that on those turns he needs to. 

That is scary good.

Edited by kris40k

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's pretty good for them, but on the other hand, you're still going into every engagement with only a TL.

Depends on costs. If it's cheap enough to be an alternative to the Fire Control System for the TIE/x1 heavy swarm, I don't mind that, because in theory, 5 TIE/x1 lining up on someone with Advanced Targeting Computer should turn their target to a cloud of expanding scrap metal in a turn; you only get the benefit of Fire Control if you put 5 3-dice-with-automatic-critical primary attacks into someone and don't kill them, which is not especially common.

It's why I suspect 5 Storm Squadron Aces is a better buy than 5 Tempest Squadron Pilots with Fire Control System. Easier to get the lock in the first place, and spending it on the attack means you're more confident of a kill that would make retaining the lock redundant anyway.

For TIE/x1 'aces', then yes, wholeheartedly there's an argument for Fire Control System - three attackers don't have the raw firepower to take out a target in one turn and you're more likely to have an engagement going on over several turns, where the ability to focus (and barrel roll) at higher initiative becomes much more powerful.

As a further comment, being able to 'react' to an opponent arc-dodging one of the TIE/x1 (with a swarm of 5 you can expect at least one ship not to have a shot if you're facing someone squirrely) by taking a calculate instead is priceless; 3 dice with a defensive green token (even 'just' a calculate) makes the TIE/x1 pretty tough. 

7 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

No sensor slot on the /Sa.

The /ca does, though, and that's a brute of an option for them, especially lower initiative versions. Torpedo-armed B-wings (and maybe N-1s?) are worth a thought, too.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

4 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The /ca does, though, and that's a brute of an option for them, especially lower initiative versions. Torpedo-armed B-wings (and maybe N-1s?) are worth a thought, too.

🤨 I'm aware. An interesting side note, are there any ships with sensor slots that don't have the Lock action baseline? Or is having the Lock action a pre-req for the upgrade?

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 I'm aware. An interesting side note, are there any ships with sensor slots that don't have the Lock action baseline? Or is having the Lock action a pre-req for the upgrade?

TIE PHantoms.

And ugggghhhh they took all that effort to take the free locks away from Phantoms...

5 hours ago, player2072913 said:

There are only 3 good Star Wars films. Star Wars, Empire, and The Last Jedi. The others range from mediocre to downright terrible. 

Interesting mix. I'll go there.

The prequels weren't that bad, and Jar Jar evolved into a fun tweak of the nose to people who take Star Wars too seriously.

3 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

TIE PHantoms.

And ugggghhhh they took all that effort to take the free locks away from Phantoms...

It is coming in the Hyena and N-1 expansions so maybe it's like Palp and Sep/Rep only?

6 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Not from the photo upthread,

🤨 Can't find a photo of the card in this thread... :( 

6 minutes ago, kris40k said:

@svelok stated it was not faction locked.

Which is why I said maybe. @svelok is fairly reliable in this sort of thing but occasionally misses things. Rarely, but occasionally.

10 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 Can't find a photo of the card in this thread... :( 

Which is why I said maybe. @svelok is fairly reliable in this sort of thing but occasionally misses things. Rarely, but occasionally.

18 minutes ago, kris40k said:

@svelok stated it was not faction locked.

please do not underestimate my information gathering network

The N-1's going to be pretty cheap and have torpedoes, isn't it? That could be painful for allowing low-initiative ships with torpedoes and free Full Throttle evades.

As an aside; that's the old Sensor Cluster artwork, which pretty much knocks the nail in the coffin of the idea of that tech upgrade returning. I thought it unlikely since improved defensive modification is something they've shied away from.

latest?cb=20160718153536

22 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

TIE PHantoms.

Well, the Phantoms can already get locks en masse from Tarkin, but that's a fair point. Since that's essentially adding a white Target Lock to the TIE phantom's bar (and a calculate, not that you'd use it very often in preference to 'proper' focus)when equipped to that ship, that's surely got to be represented in the cost of the upgrade? It might well be more espensive than I was thinking, then.