Kieransi

Unpopular Opinion Thread

15 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Unpopular opinions?  That's my bread and butter.

Lets see.

1.  X-Wing stopped being good after Wave 4.  Up to that point it was a game about dog fighting, not dice manipulation and special actions/cards.   Pretty much every list was viable at that point, after that it was downhill.

2. 2.0 was a let down.  We went from one type of largely broken game to a different, albeit similar type of broken game.  Its not the same problems, but the same type of issue.

3. Epic is the only fun way to play X-Wing.

4. Mirror matches (aka rebel vs. rebel etc..) should not be allowed in tournaments and severely frowned upon in house games.

*Fire resistant suit on

1.  For 1.0, I completely agree.  X-wing after wave 4 or 5 was great, and it went downhill fast after that.   Note I'm not claiming it wasn't balanced for tournament play, it wasn't.  But it was FUN, and it didn't feel like a numbers game or a game or bucket of mechanisms with no tie in to the theme.    I don't think the game was ever meant to be like an LCG or CCG, it just kinda evolved that way.  For me it got crappy when the metagame displaced the actual game. 

2.  I hope it's not as bad as this.  I'd be happy with less broken for now.  1.0 never got ordinance right, so if 2.0 nails that part at least it'll be a big improvement for me.   I will play it one of these days.

3.  I love epic, it's probably my favorite way to play, but the other formats are good too. 

4.  I've never played a mirror match.  They sound pretty boring.

2 hours ago, period3 said:

Up to that point it was a game about dog fighting, not dice manipulation and special actions/cards.

I'm always amused when people say this and then completely ignore that Howlrunner has been a card in the game since wave 1. The game has always had manipulating the dice to your favor being a key portion of the game. In fact TIE swarms dominating everything almost killed it before it took off, and was a chunk of the reason FFG made the Phantom the way they did.

9 minutes ago, player2072913 said:

There are only 3 good Star Wars films. Star Wars, Empire, and The Last Jedi. The others range from mediocre to downright terrible. 

I would have agreed, but the clone wars cartoons turned RotS into an actually good movie. Of course you can argue that the movie is bad if it needs season upon season of backstory to make it good.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:37 AM, Parakitor said:

I think it's important for us to remember that the 'meta' isn't defined solely by what people fly, but how they fly it. Sure, it looks like the meta is 'solved' but I'm excited to keep trying things, and flying differently to try to best the 5-ship menace (okay, I'll be using 5 ships of my own, but their strikers, so that's completely different, right?). Additionally, the real fun begins when you start seeing things meant to upset the meta (like bombs or spread damage against squads with large ship counts). And then moves to counter those counter plays in squad building. I don't think we're ready for a points reset just yet. Get ready for an exciting couple of months!

On 3/13/2019 at 6:16 AM, GreenDragoon said:

So, I'm keeping track of all 5 Awing lists that are entered to listfortress. Based on the entered it is wrong to say that 5A is everywhere, or that it is always the same version.

This. Assuming that the same list - or even the same pilot - is "the same" in every encounter is a fast way to end up wondering if anyone caught the license plate of the truck that just ran over your squad. More than one game has been lost due to me not paying attention and forgetting that one atypical wierd choice of upgrade on a pilot, and I've seen similar games where a supposed mirror match has come unstuck fast, such as one player not paying attention to a 'dengar-off' and not registering despite being told in passing that his opponent had advanced proton torpedoes in the tubes.

1 hour ago, player2072913 said:

There are only 3 good Star Wars films. Star Wars, Empire, and The Last Jedi. The others range from mediocre to downright terrible. 

I'd add RotJ, but that may be that because I first watched Star Wars via the medium of Whatever Films Were Shown On ITV Over Christmas In The Eighties I saw Jedi waaaaaaaay before I saw Empire, and so I'm fonder of it than it maybe deserves?

But yes, basically, this.

Unpopular X-Wing Opinion:

Cheap co-ordinate ships shouldn't be a thing. 

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Spend an action during your action step, acquire the lock at start of engagement.

There's some other waffle to stop it from being a co-ordinatable action, but that's the gist of it.

Sensor slot?  Faction locked?