Pa Weasley

What are people running on Ello?

I'm planning on running an XXA list featuring a moderately chubby Ello. 

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
BB Astromech (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)
Hardpoint: Cannon (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
Total: 72

The intent is to keep the S-foils closed and experiment with linked barrelling to either line up that bullseye arc or, in lieu of a four dice shot, keep myself out of my opponent's arc. Given that there's no auto include upgrades on Mr. Asty like with Nien or the A-Wings (advanced optics) I tacked on ferrosphere paint but I'm not sold. For reference I have a three point bid to play with at the moment.

So that got me a pondering, what have folks been using on Ello? I seek your input oh internet denizens.

While I haven't used him yet I think Heroic is all you really need. With his ability you will likely not use his BB that much, which also takes away uses for Pattern Analyzer.

I honestly think its best to keep him cheap and being a IN 5 who can around without stress. So maybe Heroic and HLC? But at that point you can have Nien with PA unless he is already in the build.

I’ve run T70s and RZ2s almost exclusively since Resistance release and I have to profess my love for Predator on the I5-6 T70s. Closed S-foils Focus to BR for double mod shots.

I think maybe just Heroic.  Ello's principle virtue is that he doesn't really need upgrades.  Cheap, decent Init 5.  There's not a ton he can do to leverage his pilot ability, while Poe and Nien will be well served by stuff like Torpedoes and Heavy Laser Cannons, since it isn't too hard for them to get multiple action turns.  Snap's boost tricks beg to have a bunch of tools.  But Ello?  He's fine without any of that.

I run him as Nien. He’s cheaper and he effectively has white k-turns and tallon rolls that also give him bonus actions off of pattern analyzer. I assume you have Poe in the list if you’re running XXA?

But I guess if I was forced to run Ello, I’d give him heroic and just try to minimize the point I lose when he dies.

4 hours ago, Pa Weasley said:

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
BB Astromech (5)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)
Hardpoint: Cannon (0)
Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
Total: 72

Don't you mean 

Eroic

B Stromech

Ntegrated -Foils

Errosphere Aint

Ardpoint: Annon

Eavy aser annon

As with most T70s I think keeping them cheap is the best way to go. Just Heroic is probably enough. I think you get a pretty good deal on the basic ship for the stats but the more you add to it the worse that deal becomes IMO.

I've played the following at an event and finished 2nd (out of 15 players):

- Poe (Heroic, R4 Astromech, Integrated S-Foils) - 71 points
- Nien (Heroic, Pattern Analyzer, Integrated S-Foils) - 61 points
- Ello (Heroic, Primed Thrusters, Integrated S-Foils) - 66 points

198 points

I wasn't worried with an initiative bid and it ended up not mattering. Primed Thrusters is costly now but can be key. Also, this way all three ships are not really affected by stress. I know there are more efficient ways to build theses ships (like Black One on Nien, HLC on Poe, etc.) but I really like this list. Very simple. Nien is infamous and becomes the priority target often, but Ello can be quite dangerous as well (and is worth more points here).

10 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I run him as Nien. He’s cheaper and he effectively has white k-turns and tallon rolls that also give him bonus actions off of pattern analyzer. I assume you have Poe in the list if you’re running XXA?

But I guess if I was forced to run Ello, I’d give him heroic and just try to minimize the point I lose when he dies.

Actually, Ello's ability turns T-rolls white, so you can't Pattern Analyser off them.

I faced an Ello (along side a Poe) who had Outmaneuver on him. It was pretty strong to be honest. It's a big choice not taking the super cheap heroic, but I thought the more expensive talent was put to good use. 

Side topic: I think Heroic and Fanatical will both be hit with the points hammer when the next points adjustment hits.

Nien is likely better, but once you kit him out he's more expensive. I think Ello works best a cheap T-70 ace, so keep him lean unless he's in a triple T-70 list.

Posted (edited)

*Checks OP's username*

Have you considered tearing apart the model of a blue T-70, enchanting it for good RNG, and then reassembling it? So long as it is never your explicit intent to field the T-70, the rules allow it.

In all seriousness, Ello as a cheap ace is the easiest build to leverage. I wouldn't jump on the Nien bandwagon though, as high-skilled players are able to incinerate his points/call the exact direction of the T-roll/place Death Troopers such that his ability is moot. etc. But a slightly chubby Ello looks neat. How about this build? It allows more flexibility with his ability (as I assume the BB droid is to avoid rocks), but how about we take the same number of charges and get you a beefy version of a 5 pt collision detector? You still then have your barrel roll action to move around the rocks. And with the rocks adding an extra die that makes heroic less likely (and heroic really sings when you have 2 greens and focus, not 3 greens focus or 2 greens no focus), why not boost firepower with Trickshot (for those turns where you end up just behind the rock but not on it)? It will throw people for a loop.

Ello Asty (56)    
    Trick Shot (2)    
    R5-X3 (5)    
    Integrated S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 63  Half Points: 32  Threshold: 4    

Just remember that you have to spend R5-X3's charge before you activate, unlike collision detector's passive triggering when you hit a rock. Don't want that Whomping Willow to beat up poor Ello.

Edited by player3010587