RebelProfundity

ICv2 Fall 2018

I saw an article about this report and didn't see any discussion here yet. 

ICv2 Fall 2018

Should we be concerned? Is this easily explained by the timing of the Second Edition drop? It seems like it would include sales of Second Edition Core Sets and conversion kits for the OT Factions, but I can't get at the full report and don't want to pay for the privilege. 

I understand the popularity of the Warhammer franchise, but seeing my favorite game behind anything WizKids hurts. I get that DnD is really popular as well, but the quality of WizKids stuff... 

Anyway, what does everyone else think? 

My question is always what metric are they measuring by?  Is it raw dollars spent?  The number of players purchasing items?  Number of units sold?  There are a lot of factors to consider, especially since GW recently had an edition change, and getting a playable force in 40k is ludicrously expensive compared to X-Wing or Legion.  If I was to even attempt to get my old 5th ed Ork biker army off the shelf for 8th edition I would need to drop AT LEAST $300 on new books and vehicle kits just to get it remotely playable in the new edition.  Meanwhile v2 for X-Wing required  3 conversion kits to get 3 factions playable.  And anecdotally the game I’m most likely to find players for at my LGS, 40k and Sigmar is not it.

I don't think it's a huge concern at the moment. Warhammer will always be somewhere near the top, it seems, and D&D is so friggin popular right now that I'm honestly surprised it's not doing better than one of the Warhammer games.

Also, I'm really interested to see where X-Wing sits once all the factions are introduced.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, It’s One Of Ours said:

My question is always what metric are they measuring by?  Is it raw dollars spent?  The number of players purchasing items?  Number of units sold?  There are a lot of factors to consider, especially since GW recently had an edition change, and getting a playable force in 40k is ludicrously expensive compared to X-Wing or Legion.  If I was to even attempt to get my old 5th ed Ork biker army off the shelf for 8th edition I would need to drop AT LEAST $300 on new books and vehicle kits just to get it remotely playable in the new edition.  Meanwhile v2 for X-Wing required  3 conversion kits to get 3 factions playable.  And anecdotally the game I’m most likely to find players for at my LGS, 40k and Sigmar is not it.

It's retail sales that they track, by dollar amount. They don't seem to be incredibly open about their data collection but saw this mentioned in this article: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/41016/hobby-games-top-1-5-billion

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

4 hours ago, RebelProfundity said:

... I get that DnD is really popular as well, but the quality of WizKids stuff... 

I'm surprised to see D&D there too. However, I recently read a couple of reviews that suggest the Nolzur's line is actually really good (and that they're cheap, though I haven't looked at them in stores).

1 hour ago, TheHumanHydra said:

I'm surprised to see D&D there too. However, I recently read a couple of reviews that suggest the Nolzur's line is actually really good (and that they're cheap, though I haven't looked at them in stores).

For pre-painted minis they are amazing. With just a bit of touch up they can look professionally done.

On the Spring 2018 list, X-Wing didn't even crack the Top 5; so it seems to be climbing back up.  I guess we'll be able to track a bit better once we see the next list, but for now, I'm thinking the slip was just due to the uncertainty and confusion around changing editions (that is, people buying less 1E once they know 2E is on the way, and then taking a little time to get back into 2E).