Baxie

A cry for help from the Outer Rim

I apologize in advance, is this is not the appropriate place to ask this question, but I don't think posting in the Outer Rim-forum will get me the answers I seek.

Outer Rim is coming out soon, and sadly, the game is delivered with cardboard cutout-standees of the characters you can play, and this lacks a certain... impressiveness. And thus I thought that replacing them with miniatures from Legion would make sense. But seeking advice on the amazing internet hasn't really supplied me with the info I have been looking for. So I hope you guys can help a fellow Star Wars-enthusiast out.

My question then, is this:

If I were to buy a miniature of, say Boba Fett, which box would I buy? I have seen an unboxing of some of the Legion miniatures, but it looks like it is just parts of the character that can be upgraded, I suppose?

Any replies in here, I will take with me to the Outer Rim-forum, for others with the same ideas.

Thanks

Imperial Assault Minis Are made from a single piece of plastic and already based, the quality of the minis is ok, but not to legion standards and a bit smaller in scale.

Legion minis need assembly, you should be able to see finished products online and on the back of the box, super glue is required, but the level of detail is higher along with the scale. It might also be worth pointing out that the price of Legion Commanders and Operatives is slightly higher than Imperial Assault Allies & Villain expansions.

My advice would be, if you just want a 3d representation of SW character buy the Imperial Assault Addons (Note you probably have to go on Ebay for Darth Vader)

Or if you enjoy building and painting, the legion minis are better (although less characters are available at this time)

Posted (edited)

Another option is the various shapeways stores selling high quality 3d-printed miniatures that are compatible with legion.

AFAIK, for Outer Rim the miniatures needed would be:

Han Solo

Boba Fett

Jyn Erso

Dr. Aphra

Lando Calrissian

Plus three more that are still unknown.

Of these, Jyn and Boba has Legion miniatures that are well liked, Han has one that is somewhat disliked, and Aphra and Lando don't have any yet. These are all standalone boxes with a $12.95 MSRP.

There is a legion scale Aphra on Skullforge's shapeways shop, called "Professor Moxi", for $12.88, plus a few variations on mandalorian armour.

Some other shapeways shops are Mel's miniatures (also has loads of ships in x-wing, armada and micro machines scale which might make a nice addition to the boardgame), 4-a-duel tabletop and Buckethead bits.

Edited by aniron

If you paint, SW: Legion and its add-ons is the better choice, if not, then SW:IA, in my opinion.

But it can depend on what you need in other ways too I guess. Imperial Assault still might be the best single $90 you can spend on SW minis. Then you can get 3D copies of other characters for reasonably cheap, and have a whole other game if you should ever choose to play it. Since now there's an app to be the Imperial Player it's even better.

Being an old RPG guy, I have often recommended Assault for people who just want a box of maps n' figures, to smoothly resolve combat rounds in assorted Star Wars RPG's, for people who don't like painting. An unpainted Imperial Assault core set just looks like nice boardgame pieces. Whereas glue and stuff makes unpainted Legion models look noticeably unattractive.

Oh yeah. Definetely, Aniron.

No decisions to be made yet. But like I wrote in my post, I just feel that the standees could do with a lift.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Baxie said:

Oh yeah. Definetely, Aniron.

No decisions to be made yet. But like I wrote in my post, I just feel that the standees could do with a lift.

Most certainly. I'll be using Legion scale pilots and possibly Armada scale ships when I pick this game up. I was more or less already looking for an excuse to buy and paint the  Skullforge Aphra.

Edited by aniron

2 hours ago, aniron said:

Most certainly. I'll be using Legion scale pilots and possibly Armada scale ships when I pick this game up. I was more or less already looking for an excuse to buy and paint the  Skullforge Aphra.

Armada ships are going to be so tiny that you might as well use whatever comes in the game.

31 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

Armada ships are going to be so tiny that you might as well use whatever comes in the game.

I don't think any ship minis or tokens do come with the game. Perhaps the micro machines scale ships are a better bet, but the X-Wing scale would surely be way too large.

Posted (edited)

By the looks of it, ships are something you can buy and upgrade, and swap out. So using the ships as markers might be a bit hard to follow. 

Also: Should FFG decide to make a wide variety of ships to choose from, it gets pricy fast. 

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Baxie

So, according to the stream the Outer Rim playable characters are:

Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Boba Fett, Bossk, Jyn Erso, Dr. Aphra, IG-88, Ketsu Onyo.

The Legion game currently provides miniatures for 

Han Solo - 

swl20_spread-bester.png

Boba Fett -

swl18_boba-fett.png

Bossk - has an alternate grenade-throwing posing option in the box.

swl38_animation.gif

Jyn Erso - 

swl31_animation.gif

These are MSRP $12.95 each.

Dr Aphra, Ketsu Onyo and IG-88B are available on Shapeways in Legion scale:

"Professor Moxi", Skullforge Studios ($10.85/$12.88 depending on print quality level, STL for $5.33 at pinshape):

container_professor-moxi-3d-printing-213

Ketsu Onyo - mel's miniatures ($15.63/$17.6😞

710x528_25630197_13922001_1546994838.jpg

IG-88B - mel's miniatures  ($15.63/$17.03):

710x528_25390814_13793647_1546991911.jpg

"Tin man bounty hunter" - Skullforge Studios ($14.01/$16.50/STL for $5.33 at pinshape):

container_tin-man-bounty-hunter-3d-print

All that remains is Lando Calrissian, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anywhere, but seems like a likely addition to Legion eventually. Another option would be to use the smaller Imperial Assault mini.