Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

I want all the FFG properties to get in the crucible and become part of key forge.

Adding new houses would be interesting, but that would change the balance of some existing cards.  Some cards interact with specific enemy houses, such as Mating Season.  That card reads " Play: Shuffle each Mars creature into its owner’s deck. Each player gains 1aember-8c75413114aa06d01a8f2f79d086a574d80420811cb0919f309226d54909d15e.png for each creature shuffled into their deck this way. "  If there are 31 houses then it is much less likely my opponent is playing a deck with Mars.  That would make this specific card more likely to only benefit me.  Some cards would get better, and some would get worse.  For example, The Common Cold would have fewer opportunities to destroy all Mars creatures.

I think that is probably fine in the long run.  It kind of fits the design philosophy that some decks are just stronger than others in a given match.  I would rather have new sets be free to make fun cards than to have their design be constrained in an attempt to maintain the viability of previous decks.

Rather than seeing actual other properties brought in, I'd rather see things that perhaps allude to some of those worlds. I'm looking for those themes, not parody.

Mars does a great job of bringing in something that's in the zeitgeist as a generic concept. Sanctum fills in some of the fantasy knight concept, but there are other concepts that could sit in there as well, same in Brobnar or Untamed. Et cetera.

Cetra, the Busted
Untamed
Creature
[Lifebound/Spirit]
8 Power/0 Armor
Play: If you forged a key this turn, unforge it. If you do, gain control of all Creatures in your opponent's battleline.

"GG, mate"

cetra,-the-busted (1).png

Edited by KandyKidZero
Added mock-up

17 hours ago, TylerTT said:

I want android, I want terrinoth, I L5R.

So Futuristic Cyborgs, Elves and Pixies and Japanese Knights. All good from where I sit.

17 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Same rules, cross compatible, stop making new games that canabalize each other and just give me 31 flavors of key forge. 

Game mechanics are often theme related and FFG are great at merging theme and game play for the most part. Many of these games are different because thematically they are different. Even KeyForge has a widely different theme to Netrunner/Android, it would be like mashing Star Wars into Monopoly, it isn't a thematically different game, it is still glorified snakes and ladders in space. So while I love the idea of Futuristic Cyborgs and Japanese Knights in KeyForge, I want them decidedly themed to KeyForge and not just blended in with no regard to the games theme. (Theirs or ours.)

FFG also makes great innovative games, KeyForge is the poster child of this I expect.  However, I am not too sure I want them to stop making games.

I also am not too sure that (if they did just make one game to rule them all) I would want it to be KeyForge in any case, I love the game and I love just playing casually. For KeyForge to go beyond casual game play, there is still much work to be done, and I just don't see it being done.

Fair enough! 

Right now FFG has two fairly heavy Competitive only LCG

a collectable competitive deck constructor

and keyforge.

They have split their base And no single game can achieve critical mass of players needed for organized play.

regardless of the themeatic considerations the market only sustains a few competitive life style card games. 

Wotc figured this out by the late 90’s

They were so concerned the transformers card game would compeat with magic that they choose to have no organized play for it. It’s meant to be a fun collectable game not a life style game that need a player’s full attention or budget. You collect because you want pretty cards not because it’s your life and your passion.

FFG positions their card games as lifestyle with organized play but they don’t really live up to that. Destiny maybe does now that they have fairly dependable release structure.

Key forge is I think their first game that has the potential to be massive and I think the base system is muteable enough to represent many settings. 

Wiz kids does a great job of applying a game to many different settings and product models. How they leveraged dice masters is incredible.

11 hours ago, TylerTT said:

FFG positions their card games as lifestyle with organized play but they don’t really live up to that.

Mostly because they (or Asmodee) don't put in the work to. Communication on release schedule, more interest in their games' health, and more reprints in some cases, would all help. They don't need to just say it, they need to act like it and push for it.

Yep I agree with that. The team working on magic is huge.

thats why I want them to focus. And preferably on key forge. The only product format I feel like tolerating for the forceable future. 

On 3/5/2019 at 1:51 AM, TylerTT said:

I want android, I want terrinoth, I L5R. Same rules, cross compatible, stop making new games that canabalize eachother and just give me 31 flavors of key forge. 

Thematically they already have Logos, Brobnar, Dis, Sanctum, and Untamed to cover those bases...they are missing pirates however (Shadows is generic Rogue/Thief territory, but not Pirates so far)

On 3/5/2019 at 1:51 AM, TylerTT said:

I want android, I want terrinoth, I L5R. Same rules, cross compatible, stop making new games that canabalize eachother and just give me 31 flavors of key forge. 

I will admit I would be STOKED for promos of this kind.

After all, L5R has 7 clans (i.e. "houses") so it's all ready to blend. But if say... there were a handful of cards made and decks generated then sold on the vault tour or as special promos... (instead of a Brobnar, Mars, Shadow deck I got a Crab, Dragon, Scorpion deck...) Decks which never allowed in tournament play, just for casual fun and bragging rights? Oh yeah, I would kill for one of those.

They wouldn't even have to put any work into it. Take:

Card image for Tireless Crocag 

And just slap the name, image, and clan symbol on it of:

Hida Kisada

I wouldn't object at all.

They did it with Love Letter.

Heck if FFG somehow opened it up with some community project, I'd work on the effort for free. Let's see...

• Brobnar = Crab
  • Dis = Lion?
  • Logos = Phoenix
  • Mars = Dragon?
  • Sanctum = Crane
  • Shadows = Scorpion
  • Untamed = Unicorn

(yeah, dis & mars is the hardest to pair up, Lion to mars might work better for their "army" feel - I know Scorpion should probably be dis but shadows just seems better for them & ninjas)

Any other cross fans that would love to see this kind of cross promotion?

6 minutes ago, Palpster said:

I would quit Keyforge in a heartbeat if it featured Gandalf, Yoda or Hida Kisada. To each their own, I guess.

how do you define "feature"?

I'm thinking more of a niche, fun product, like Magic's "Un-" sets (complete with silver borders). More of a joke for fun than anything much for tournaments or power levels.

1 hour ago, Simplegarak said:

how do you define "feature"?

I'm thinking more of a niche, fun product, like Magic's "Un-" sets (complete with silver borders). More of a joke for fun than anything much for tournaments or power levels.

As in going to a tourney with my Mars/Brobnar/Shadows deck and facing Empire/Sith/Jedi in round one and round two it’s Lion/Phoenix/Scorpion. Not interested.

10 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

Heck if FFG somehow opened it up with some community project, I'd work on the effort for free. Let's see...

• Brobnar = Crab
  • Dis = Lion?
  • Logos = Phoenix
  • Mars = Dragon?
  • Sanctum = Crane
  • Shadows = Scorpion
  • Untamed = Unicorn

Sanctum - Crab

Shadows - Scorpion

Logos - Crane

Dis - Phoenix

Untamed - Lion

Mars - Dragon

Brobnar - Unicorn

IMHO!

14 hours ago, Palpster said:

As in going to a tourney with my Mars/Brobnar/Shadows deck and facing Empire/Sith/Jedi in round one and round two it’s Lion/Phoenix/Scorpion. Not interested.

Yeah, that's why I stressed that it wouldn't be tournament legal, just for the kitchen table fun.

6 hours ago, Whiz Canmaj said:

Sanctum - Crab

Shadows - Scorpion

Logos - Crane

Dis - Phoenix

Untamed - Lion

Mars - Dragon

Brobnar - Unicorn

IMHO!

image.png.591ade339058f65800e6aeed71e095a8.png

Nah, J/K.  Why do you think Phoenix for Dis? That's the one that I really can't follow. ;) (I'd maybe switch your Lion & Unicorn but otherwise could see those)

6 hours ago, Whiz Canmaj said:

OP: Something like this exists in Millenium Blades. There are a lot of different franchises (both made-up and real) that you can jam together in a game. It's a lot of fun!

I've seen that in some alerts of other games I follow ("we're doing a millenium blades tie-in").  How is that? The card layout doesn't appeal to me much so I've never looked more into it.

5 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

I've seen that in some alerts of other games I follow ("we're doing a millennium blades tie-in").  How is that? The card layout doesn't appeal to me much so I've never looked more into it.

It's pretty fun. It does a good job of simulating an entire season of LTCG play and has lots of fun references to various franchises, but it also doesn't take itself too seriously. Maybe runs a bit long for my taste but that's my main criticism.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

9 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

image.png.591ade339058f65800e6aeed71e095a8.png

Nah, J/K.  Why do you think Phoenix for Dis? That's the one that I really can't follow. ;) (I'd maybe switch your Lion & Unicorn but otherwise could see those)

Yeah, on second thought, I'd switch Lion & Unicorn as well. I went with Dis Phoenix because I feel both of them are very "magical" (lots of actions with big effects, and creatures with game-altering effects like Ember Imp and Succubus). If Keyforge had 8 Houses, I'd say Dis = Spider Clan.

Edited by Whiz Canmaj

21 hours ago, Whiz Canmaj said:

Yeah, on second thought, I'd switch Lion & Unicorn as well. I went with Dis Phoenix because I feel both of them are very "magical" (lots of actions with big effects, and creatures with game-altering effects like Ember Imp and Succubus). If Keyforge had 8 Houses, I'd say Dis = Spider Clan.

Oh definitely spider == dis. ;) Let's just throw out Crane to make it all fit. Nobody will miss them. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Rather than seeing actual other properties brought in, I'd rather see things that perhaps allude to some of those worlds. I'm looking for those themes, not parody.

Mars does a great job of bringing in something that's in the zeitgeist as a generic concept. Sanctum fills in some of the fantasy knight concept, but there are other concepts that could sit in there as well, same in Brobnar or Untamed. Et cetera.

This. I'm hoping we eventually get houses cycled in and out (as would make sense for the lore), but it needs to be only partial. We don't need Android or Arkham as houses; it's too direct and feels... cheap? But I'd love to see a house centered around cyberpunk themes and another with eldritch monstrosities, especially if they make coy references to those settings (as they have already alluded to MtG on several cards). Have a character that looks just like Noise from Android, but call him Noizz or Kacofonee. Honestly, as an Arkham fan, I'm even more interested in there *not* being direct references to Cthulhu. It's been done in so many games. And honestly, a lot of the eldritch monster stuff could be done within Dis anyway. Instead of doing Cthulhu, do some creatures that are obvious alternate versions of the player characters from Arkham and some mythos/magic artifacts. I'd find Ashtray the Hobo and a book named Ghoulish Cults far more amusing.

Edited by D351