Jump to content
clanofwolves

Give A-Wings look fun, and strong!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Congrats to DeBirk in Utah taking his 5 Resistance A-Wings to Hyperspace trial victory. Maybe flying a  squad like this or T-70s will be what pulls me fully into 2.0.

Here’s his list:
https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v6!s=200!239:116,172,-1,186:;240:116,172,-1,186:;271:116,172,-1,186:;301:172,-1,186:;301:172,-1,186:&sn=5 A-Wings&obs=

 

...meant to say “give A-Wings a look, they look fun!”

Edited by clanofwolves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They are fun but mostly just because they are fast, ridiculously easy to use, and comically undercosted.
Rear Arc with boost is mechanically the best combination in the game besides maybe i6 pre-movement repositions. 
Paired with an incredible Push The Limit ship ability, access to two i5 pilots, Tech Upgrades, and the same dial/action bar for only +2 pts more than a Phoenix Squadron? 
30 vs 32, something is wrong here.
Either the Phoenix Squad is supposed to be 22-24 pts or the i1 Resistance A-Wing is supposed to be 38-40 pts...🤔

 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

They are fun but mostly just because they are fast, ridiculously easy to use, and comically undercosted.
Rear Arc with boost is mechanically the best combination in the game besides maybe i6 pre-movement repositions. 
Paired with an incredible Push The Limit ship ability, access to two i5 pilots, Tech Upgrades, and the same dial/action bar for only +2 pts more than a Phoenix Squadron? 
30 vs 32, something is wrong here.
Either the Phoenix Squad is supposed to be 22-24 pts or the i1 Resistance A-Wing is supposed to be 38-40 pts...🤔

 

I'm all in on 20 point TIE Fighters and 24 point A-wings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I'm all in on 20 point TIE Fighters and 24 point A-wings. 

Exactly, wake me up when people are winning with 6 i1 Rebel A-Wings or the Ocho. Then ill be impressed. 

Related note....what in tarnation are these lil guys supposed to cost?
latest?cb=20161023190944

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Exactly, wake me up when people are winning with 6 i1 Rebel A-Wings or the Ocho. Then ill be impresseed. 

Related note....what in tarnation are these lil guys supposed to cost?
latest?cb=20161023190944

Heavy Z-95? Missles, same primary, stronger hull and shield. I'd think about 5 points over the A4-F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Exactly, wake me up when people are winning with 6 i1 Rebel A-Wings or the Ocho. Then ill be impressed. 

Related note....what in tarnation are these lil guys supposed to cost?
latest?cb=20161023190944

And TIE/FOs.  They've got the shield, lock, and dial over the stock TIE, but are lacking the linked action, boost, and shield/hull ratio of the As.  Where does that put them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

And TIE/FOs.  They've got the shield, lock, and dial over the stock TIE, but are lacking the linked action, boost, and shield/hull ratio of the As.  Where does that put them?

First time iv used the confused reaction in a meaningful way. Im honestly not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

And TIE/FOs.  They've got the shield, lock, and dial over the stock TIE, but are lacking the linked action, boost, and shield/hull ratio of the As.  Where does that put them?

Really it’s that FOs are costed correctly and Resistance As are undercosted by several points.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rhetor said:

This list is fun, but does not allow for a single mistake.

In my experience with 5 As, they allow for plenty of mistakes.   I mean that sincerely in the sense that you can pretty much dial up any maneuver that relieves stress and then have a good chance of getting a shot with an educated guess about arc after focusing.    They’re very sturdy for their cost, can easily run away (and still shoot while doing so!), and are not very expensive even if you lose one.

I love flying interceptor type ships but I’m starting to get bored flying my 5As as they’re not the same thing at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you do not fly them into an obstacle or your own ship. That's bad  for durable ship and usually end of game for an all-A-Wing list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

ridiculously easy to use

6 hours ago, AlexW said:

In my experience with 5 As, they allow for plenty of mistakes.

16 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

It is about as ez mode of a ship as there is in the game.

I think I'm just a very bad player!

The individual ship is easy, sure, because it has 3 greens and a ridiculously good dial plus a rear arc.

But using these ~40 points well enough to win games is not exactly easy. Play against a 5 Yions or BBBBA or some scum han+fenn lists and tell me your secrets!
And if it is so easy, please go ahead and play extended with them. They are ez mode after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

 

But using these ~40 points 

The most expensive is 38 base.

 

The cheapest is 32... 9pts more than a tie/ln but you get a hull bumped to a shield, an extra shield, boost and tl as actions, elite and tech slot, built in linked reposition, a turret, and the best dial in the game.  If you can't spam them and make it work then I don't know what to tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

The most expensive is 38 base.

 

The cheapest is 32... 9pts more than a tie/ln but you get a hull bumped to a shield, an extra shield, boost and tl as actions, elite and tech slot, built in linked reposition, a turret, and the best dial in the game.  If you can't spam them and make it work then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh ok, I'll give it a try...

e: I did already of course. In fact I wrote about most games since December in this thread

After >40 games I can't agree that they are ez mode. Paratanni was ez mode, Dengaroo was ez mode, but these are not.

Edited by GreenDragoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh ok, I'll give it a try...

e: I did already of course. In fact I wrote about most games since December in this thread

After >40 games I can't agree that they are ez mode. Paratanni was ez mode, Dengaroo was ez mode, but these are not.

Yeah, but that's just actual experience. It counts for nothing when we can make up anything we want from behind a keyboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I think I'm just a very bad player!

The individual ship is easy, sure, because it has 3 greens and a ridiculously good dial plus a rear arc.

But using these ~40 points well enough to win games is not exactly easy. Play against a 5 Yions or BBBBA or some scum han+fenn lists and tell me your secrets!
And if it is so easy, please go ahead and play extended with them. They are ez mode after all.

Same here. Even mathematics seemed to be against me when I played 5A... advanced optics would hardly trigger, as my most common dice result while attacking  was a focus and a blank (in one round four times in a row). Heroic proved usueful, oh yes, when I rolled four green blanks. Only to re-roll three blanks and a focus :D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh ok, I'll give it a try...

e: I did already of course. In fact I wrote about most games since December in this thread

After >40 games I can't agree that they are ez mode. Paratanni was ez mode, Dengaroo was ez mode, but these are not.

What hyperspace ship is more efficient?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I think I'm just a very bad player!

The individual ship is easy, sure, because it has 3 greens and a ridiculously good dial plus a rear arc.

But using these ~40 points well enough to win games is not exactly easy. Play against a 5 Yions or BBBBA or some scum han+fenn lists and tell me your secrets!
And if it is so easy, please go ahead and play extended with them. They are ez mode after all.

They can definitely be fragile. I exaggerated a bit and your right to call it out.  

My post was mostly because I still have a bias against turrets with reposition (boost) and after testing various Resistance lists recently I believe these A-Wings are 6-8 pts undercosted or most everything else in their bracket is 6-8 pts overcosted in comparison. They aren’t necessarily  “ridiculously” easy to use as they do take damage and they dont particularly like to joust, at minimum you have to know when and where to bug out, and when to commit to plinking damage. You still have to choose that and set those boxes up. Its really just that not jousting bit I find easier and less planned than other similarly priced ships.  

Im glad there are good A-Wings now, they are fun. Its just a tiny bit sad that they required Rear Arc boost to be relevant. That combination specifically seems underpriced. SFs are very similar but something about the Barrel Roll action with a rear arc instead of Boost makes it feel different (could just be my preference for FO there). Maybe thats the reality though for 4 hp ships in a game with init kills. Its possible low init low hp ships cant hope to sustain damage without turrets + reposition, white k turns, temporary high init, skip damage mechanics like Iden, or something else besides #s.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

 

Im glad there are good A-Wings now. Its just a tiny bit sad that they required Rear Arc boost to be relevant. That combination specifically seems underpriced. SFs are very similar but something about the Barrel Roll action with a rear arc instead of Boost makes it feel different (could just be my preference for FO there).

I expect it's as much because of the linked action as it is the boost.  A-wings can reposition and Focus, SFs cannot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biophysical said:

I expect it's as much because of the linked action as it is the boost.  A-wings can reposition and Focus, SFs cannot.

Yea that to for sure. Though SFs can eventually Fanatical and do have access to FCS with good range control or during the 2nd engagement. These A-Wings just do more for less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...