voltagejim

Will there be a 2.0 Armada?

I have not purchased Armada yet, but I have enjoyed X-wing, and Armada looks cool with the captial ship theme.  But are they going to re-release Aramada with a 2.0 version like they did X-wing (Also do they plan to do this with imperial assault as well)?  I don't want to start buyign things if a 2.0 is coming around the corner

I don't think we will be getting a second edition, as we don't need one. The only reason we might get one is because it seams like OP is becoming more app driven. However we don't need to have a complete second edition just to get and app for OP, they could just give us an OP app. Even if a second edition is coming I am sure we will have conversion kits. This is an amazing game and I encourage you to play it if you like stratigic, miniatures games this is one of if not the best out there. If you are still super concerned you could wait until after Adepticon as if a 2.0 is to be anounced soon, it will most likely be at that panel as they said they would be talking about Armada, X-wing, and Legion there, and if a second edition was to be announced this year, well I think that is where it would be.

X-wing needed a 2.0 desperately it was hugely successful and while the core mechanics of the game were great the success lead to lots of bolted on mechanics and balance was a real issue. Armada doesn't seem to have the same problems, for example almost every ship has a workable build that can have a place in the competitive scene. X-wing had many ships that never saw the table. Not to mention it was all about upgrades and less about flying card shenanigans allowed certain ships to sit at range one in the arcs of multiple ships and come away almost unscathed. In my experience in armada bad ship placement almost always hurts.

The simple answer to the OP is "most of us here haven't got a clue"!

In gameplay terms, I don't think Armada needs a second edition, but that's only half the issue. I do feel though that something big (and I mean something bigger than a SSD even) is needed to break the current impasse. The well of easily-recognisable OT ships is drying up; FFG is clearly struggling with new releases and favouring other products it feels offer greater return on investment...and in the meantime, people on this forum are increasingly unhappy with the drought. Something has to give. I think it's going to take either a second edition (or my preferred option) the introduction of PT factions to restore some forward momentum.

But that's just me and I know even less than Jon Snow.

19 hours ago, voltagejim said:

I have not purchased Armada yet, but I have enjoyed X-wing, and Armada looks cool with the captial ship theme.  But are they going to re-release Aramada with a 2.0 version like they did X-wing (Also do they plan to do this with imperial assault as well)?  I don't want to start buyign things if a 2.0 is coming around the corner

I’ve played X-Wing for a while now. I’d bought several Armada ships over time for shelf display. I got bored with x-wing while waiting in the points adjustment so I decided to pull Armada off the shelf and give it a try. 

I LOVE IT!!! Enjoy it much more than X-Wing! I highly recommend trying it. Either find a local group to let you try it or grab the Core Set at 50% off right now!

i actually wouldn’t mind a 2.0. I don’t think it would change much of the game other than taking the points digital. I could see “Conversion kits” being simple card packs. However, that is 100% pure speculation. As others have said, the game is pretty balanced as is. 

Although the speculation is ripe, I think half of the reason this game has no news is the wait for Clone Wars content to start officially rolling out. If it has 2.0 on the front of it at that point who knows.

Since Armada is in such a good place, balance wise, Armada 2.0 should, at most, be a re-packaging of the current Armada game. A reprint of the Core Set with different models (perhaps faction-specific core sets). Updating the rules to bring them in line with the most current FAQ. Reprinting of upgrade cards to incorporate errata.

Why make wholesale changes to a game that is pretty balanced, popular, and fun?

4 hours ago, RobertK said:

Since Armada is in such a good place, balance wise, Armada 2.0 should, at most, be a re-packaging of the current Armada game. A reprint of the Core Set with different models (perhaps faction-specific core sets). Updating the rules to bring them in line with the most current FAQ. Reprinting of upgrade cards to incorporate errata.

But none of that, even taken together, would qualify as a 2.0.

Armada will not have a 2.0.  The community is simply not large enough to support it, nor does the game need it, nor would it make sense for FFG to have to divest the time and energy into converting and repackaging everything into a 2.0 re-release.  Heck, they can barely be bothered to reprint sufficient quantities of out of stock stuff as it currently stands.

Posted (edited)

Creating a 2.0 version creates some pains with the player base.  Armada doesn't have the problems X Wing 1.0 had which pretty much forced it to happen.  

I think the future of Armada is to give it a low development priority, and trickle out new content without outright killing the game.  Probably 1 or 2 new packs of some kind every 18 months.  

I don't think we will see new factions, because I don't think the amount of sales the game gets justifies the amount of resources they would need to throw into developing and pushing out an entire new fleet in rapid succession.  But I would like to be wrong about that.  

Edited by Joe Censored

It also depends on what Disney is planning to do with the Clone Wars. If they keep hypeing it, it may generate enough interest for a new core set. The new trilogy is ridiculous and allo ver the place when it comes to starship combat and abilities, so it's very unlikely it would get an Armada interpretation.

Posted (edited)

I am hoping so. But as it stands I'm not sure. I haven't played in like six months because the meta is crap and the SSD isn't promising to me personally. X-wing second edition is fantastic so I'm there now. So I'm not really concerned for it right now... But I miss it's early days.

And it's obvious that Armada, if it is to have an extended life, because FFG wants it to or the Mouse does, it will need a bit of core level work. I feel like it was a great foundation, with lots of really good ideas that were very new to the capital space battle genre (shoot then move, template based maneuvering, unique dice, etc) but the newness of those mechanics makes designing with them a unique challenge. They've made themselves a very cool, very new, very deep sand box of new toys to explore, and it's not really a surprise in hindsight that things are a little wonky now this far in. But that's still a good place to 're'-start.

And now the whole FFG Star Wars product line is going through drastic revision and growing pains, there's a lot of fires to put out for them as a company, and not a lot of design personnel to do it. One of the ways I predicted XW2.0 was seeing that the design team seemed to have been rearranged to do it a few months earlier, and the dearth of news for so long on what should have been routine items like an FAQ. That the team is small enough that two people moving gives it away is saying something. So now they have imperial assault being very quiet for a very long time, maybe even soft dropped for at least the time being, none is really sure what to expect for that. Armada has been having issues since practically release but a committed following that would drive for the life extension. And there is XW2.0 taking up a lot of time but the team is probably caught up with it well enough by now to maybe slow down for a bit with it. There's also the subtle hint from the XW2.0 announcement that no mention of Armada Clone Wars "seemed like an omission." That's a clue to me that Close Wars is coming, and the time is taking them to announce it tells me it's taking a TON of work. So what is that work is what I ask myself.

Now before I go on, reference an event that happened to another game from another company, as a precautionary tale. Mage Knight by Wiz-kids got a second edition, it went for a hot minute, then it got it's version of Epic with this big dragon. It was released day one of a convention, and on day three of convention the game was announced as being cancelled. Mage Knight was dead by Monday. The dragon on day one was selling on secondary market for 150%+ MSRP. On Monday it was 25%. I would fear a similar event for the SSD. 

Now if that doesn't happen and really I doubt it would with FFG, they have a couple avenues.

They could do it the way they did X-wing "1.5"/Force Awakens and do a new core set, with the new factions, update a damage deck, rework a few core things that weren't too deep, and keep going for another two years. At which point they reassess and maybe then do a second ed. That honestly is my expectation if I could be said to have one.

They could pull the trigger right now and do a massive rewrite of many of the core mechanics that it really needs to fix a ton of the game, build in an app a la XW, while it's still "small", and just like XW2.0 dove tail CW into it.

They could just keep going as is, not do a darn thing but keep releasing stuff in whatever kooky manner that they please.

Tldr: my collection is quarantined on a shelf until further notice. Magic 8 ball says maybe.

Edited by ForceSensitive
Clean up formatting

1 hour ago, ForceSensitive said:

I haven't played in like six months because the meta is crap

I am astonished at this statement. Not that you haven't played in six months, because that is your choice. But the notion that the meta-game is "crap" makes no sense to me. You repeat it throughout your post without any description of what you mean or why you think it is true other than vague references to "core mechanics" that somehow don't work.

The Armada meta-game is vibrant, interesting, and fun. While "interesting" and "fun"  are matters of taste, the vibrance of the meta-game is evident from the wide variety of lists that are competitive at the highest levels of play (represented by the current Regionals season). I play almost exclusively on the non-competitive side of things, and the list-building options there are just as wide-ranging. I don't think your experience with the meta-game is at all typical.

1 hour ago, RobertK said:

I don't think your experience with the meta-game is at all typical.

I was gonna say something too. Glad you did. I agree. If nothing else Armada has a solid meta right now.

Can't say much in terms new product, timely reprints or even OP support (as I can't get ahold of kits, it seems), but the meta is definitely good. 

1 hour ago, RobertK said:

I am astonished at this statement. Not that you haven't played in six months, because that is your choice. But the notion that the meta-game is "crap" makes no sense to me. You repeat it throughout your post without any description of what you mean or why you think it is true other than vague references to "core mechanics" that somehow don't work.

The Armada meta-game is vibrant, interesting, and fun. While "interesting" and "fun"  are matters of taste, the vibrance of the meta-game is evident from the wide variety of lists that are competitive at the highest levels of play (represented by the current Regionals season). I play almost exclusively on the non-competitive side of things, and the list-building options there are just as wide-ranging. I don't think your experience with the meta-game is at all typical.

This confuses me a bit.

There is some variety to lists, sure, but nothing new hits the table as far as I can see.

It's just variations of existing concepts.

The last intriguing development was Thrawn 2-ships, and that's old now.

But I guess your "vibrant, interesting, and fun" is my "stale, samey, boring" :D

Looking at the sheets from Truthiness on regionals data on the front page, it's the same meta I left 6 months ago. Three admirals to each faction, two dominating in each. Sloan/Raddus bad feels, Ackbar/Thrawn power through, oh and Riekan loving life despite the two blows from the Nerf bat. So saying it's vibrant is just false or at best delusional. Just because folks are bringing a few odd other lists, that you have the same cornerstones still consistently pulling high win rates is very telling. It mirrors our local meta which had been dead locked for even longer now. Mind you, that play group of around a dozen regulars a week also got so bored of it they've drifted to other games like I have. AoS and Legion mostly. For our store Armada is dead ATM and we have this exact conversation each week.

As for the core things that need changed the list is fairly community based. That is to say much of it is based on the same issues that are brought up time and again whether we agree individually or not. Things Like ramming, squadrons, activation count requirements (looks like five/six is still the way to go) Other core things that could be addressed in a second edition are things like apps/codex to update point costs and adjust upgrade bars, changing how some tokens operate like scatter, especially on flotillas. 

Armada is cool, but it's faaaar from perfect.

Note: apparently I don't type fast lol

21 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

I would just want an online builder like Xwing where they could adjust some older model points and slots. I feel like being able to adjust some stuff would bring more ships to competitive play. 

Also single faction starters would be fantastic. 

Defensive tokens for sure. For instance the ISD would have 3 permanent tokens and 1 open slot allowing you to add any token depending on the ship purpose on your list but keep the max number of tokens the same as what they currently are on each ship. 

8 minutes ago, codytx2 said:

Defensive tokens for sure. For instance the ISD would have 3 permanent tokens and 1 open slot allowing you to add any token depending on the ship purpose on your list but keep the max number of tokens the same as what they currently are on each ship. 

Why would you be adding anything but brace if you only have one in the first place?