stonestokes

What I’d Love to See Released for ARMADA

37 minutes ago, CDAT said:

1) Squadrons, I think the best way to fix squadrons is to do two things. First change Rogue so that they go in the Ship phase as if given a squadron command. Second make it so that all squadrons can move and shoot, as to me that is one of the least desirable rules, I think it is one of the major things that slows down the squadron phase, and makes the least sense to me.

Sounds like a cool ability for a Han Solo commander...

3 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Sounds like a cool ability for a Han Solo commander...

Maybe just me, but I do not see Han as a commander. I can not really think of a time when he commanded any ships in space combat. The most that I can think of  that he commanded is just the Falcon but he never even had a wing man that I can think of, you could kind of say he was Luke's adhoc wing man in the end of a New Hope but that is the best I can come up with.. Also if you gave this to one side and not the other I think it would be game breaking unless the commander cost something like 100 points.

2 minutes ago, CDAT said:

Maybe just me, but I do not see Han as a commander. I can not really think of a time when he commanded any ships in space combat. The most that I can think of  that he commanded is just the Falcon but he never even had a wing man that I can think of, you could kind of say he was Luke's adhoc wing man in the end of a New Hope but that is the best I can come up with.. Also if you gave this to one side and not the other I think it would be game breaking unless the commander cost something like 100 points.

It really depends on the context.  For instance, activating 3 rogues instead of a ship is still completely outclassed by using a carrier to push 4-6 squads (sometimes with flight controllers)  and doesn't circumvent initiative.  Aside from improving rogues, it would offer a buff to activations; however, you brought less ships to begin with by having a rogue presence.  I agree with you in that Han doesn't seem like an "admiral" per se, but gathering a bunch of rogues to bolster Alliance forces seems pretty thematic.  Besides, Tagge, Leia and Palpatine aren't really naval commanders either; they just have the ability to play a major role in a fleet action.

14 minutes ago, The Jabbawookie said:

It really depends on the context.  For instance, activating 3 rogues instead of a ship is still completely outclassed by using a carrier to push 4-6 squads (sometimes with flight controllers)  and doesn't circumvent initiative.  Aside from improving rogues, it would offer a buff to activations; however, you brought less ships to begin with by having a rogue presence.  I agree with you in that Han doesn't seem like an "admiral" per se, but gathering a bunch of rogues to bolster Alliance forces seems pretty thematic.  Besides, Tagge, Leia and Palpatine aren't really naval commanders either; they just have the ability to play a major role in a fleet action.

I agree that we have several "commanders" who do not feel like they should be commanders or at the very least make me scratch my head and say why do they do that. I also agree that having the rebels bring more fighters does feel more thematic. I could see if they went with this rule change getting rid of the ship requirement and Rebels getting more "Rogue" fighters and being able to field a viable fighters only list. Which could be very interesting going against a Empire ship only list.

1 hour ago, CDAT said:

The desire to see Han as a commander comes from two things

1. They call him "General Solo" in RotJ. Also why you see him as a commander in Legion.

2. In the old Expanded Universe novels, he commanded a lot. Some of the most famous stories of this are Han leading New Republic forces against Imperial remnant fleets.

20 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

The desire to see Han as a commander comes from two things

1. They call him "General Solo" in RotJ. Also why you see him as a commander in Legion.

2. In the old Expanded Universe novels, he commanded a lot. Some of the most famous stories of this are Han leading New Republic forces against Imperial remnant fleets.

1. I can see him as a commander in Legion, if for no other reason than the second largest ground force we see the rebels deploy was commanded by him. (The battle in Rotj may have been bigger than Hoth but the rebel ground team was smaller). But even though they have used several Generals in Armada they just do not feel right to me as fleet commanders, but maybe that is just me. As for space I do not know of any where he was in command.

2. I have not read most of the EU novels so I will take your word for it, most of the ones that I have read were mostly ground based, again giving more reason to make him a Legion commander.

2 minutes ago, CDAT said:

I have not read most of the EU novels so I will take your word for it, most of the ones that I have read were mostly ground based, again giving more reason to make him a Legion commander.

He commanded the Mon Remonda. It was the first Mon Cal warship. Not a converted research or exploration vessel, but from the ground up intended to project force. It seemed decidedly superior to ISDs and gave SSDs trouble in a few fights. 

The same books are where the Mon Karren title comes from. 

Han very rarely commands fleets. In fact he always feels uncomfortable when he has to. Men onthe other hand... Han is clearly a ground commander, the same way you couldn'timagine Ackbar leading a commando raid personally.

3 hours ago, Norell said:

Han very rarely commands fleets. In fact he always feels uncomfortable when he has to. Men onthe other hand... Han is clearly a ground commander, the same way you couldn'timagine Ackbar leading a commando raid personally.

Darth-Vader-15-3.jpg

“In the aftermath of the Battle of Dac City in 18 BBY on Mon Cala, Imperial Colonel Bergon’s sky-base was attacked in the planet’s northern hemisphere by a squad of Mon Calamari aquatic vehicles led by Commander Gial Ackbar. The attack resulted in the destruction of the sky-base, and the further escalation of engagements on the planet.”

-Wookieepedia

On 3/13/2019 at 6:20 PM, CDAT said:

Second was playing Pirates of the Spanish Main in a tournament and everyone I played was just trying to kill the other player, however the objective was to get the gold. At the start of the tournament it was put out that the amount of gold you had at the end would be used to bid on the prizes offered this was balanced and anyone could have won. By playing to the objective I was able to have enough gold at the end that I could have taken every prize by biding one more than the next highest player had, but to not be a prick I bid all my gold on the one prize I wanted. It was a case of not playing to the objective and just doing what they wanted, mostly they were younger kids so I did not take all the prizes.

Killing the other players, or even better, taking their ships, (preferably while loaded with gold), was a completely viable tactic, and the preferred method of victory for a British fleet. 

If done correctly, it also satisfies the objective, so I don't see a problem.

There should always be more than one way to win! Just a personal preference, but that's where I stand.

I want ARC-170s and LAAT Gunships with Raid on the Rebel side. Or even give Troop Transports like the LAAT gunship the ability to equip a boarding team so you could do boarding actions.

4 hours ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Killing the other players, or even better, taking their ships, (preferably while loaded with gold), was a completely viable tactic, and the preferred method of victory for a British fleet. 

If done correctly, it also satisfies the objective, so I don't see a problem.

There should always be more than one way to win! Just a personal preference, but that's where I stand.

Yes if done correctly, it could have satisfied the objective. I do not remember the exact numbers but I ended up with something like 150 gold, the next highest was 8 or something like that. So they were not going after gold like the objective was explained at the start, now yes most of them were much younger kids but still they were not even trying to play to the objectives.

9 hours ago, CDAT said:

Yes if done correctly, it could have satisfied the objective. I do not remember the exact numbers but I ended up with something like 150 gold, the next highest was 8 or something like that. So they were not going after gold like the objective was explained at the start, now yes most of them were much younger kids but still they were not even trying to play to the objectives.

Shame, I can't even tell you how many times I have camped the home island of the player with the fastest fleet. Never exploring a single island, or loading a treasure that didn't come from a captured ship! That tactic only failed me once, and even then it was close.

Good times!

I'd really like to see a more detailed squadron setup. Letting you fine tune the squadrons for what you want to use them for. 

Although more realistically I'd like to see a squadron pack 2 verson of the CC box to give the second set of squadrons more options.