Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

LEGO Episode IX Releases (and what we will probably get as well)

On 3/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, SpiderMana said:

This is what I’m wondering. New models or more of the same? Beefed back up a bit or stripped down further? 😂

On 3/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

Given how VIII ended, nowhere good. I mean, they're literally one ship.

True, but (1) even if they're using "old" stuff dug up from a boneyard somewhere, 'brand new', post Jakku designs from the dawn of the new republic are still as old to the resistance as the clone wars Y-wings from Reklam Station were to the Rebels, and (2) it's a star wars film - can you honestly see them not taking the opportunity to have a new model/toy/key fob/plushie/dog onsie/etc if they can justify it? 

25 minutes ago, DexterOnone said:

Now I’m waiting for someone to post a Paw Patrol themed squadron on the Painting and Modifications board...

That idea is worryingly tempting. 

To be fair, I'd more want to see a "Pixar X-wings" range of models. 

19 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

actually the reason Toys-r-us went bankrupt was due to the massive debt incurred when private-equity firms bought them out in 2005, then set in place horribly unbalanced financial polices and unrealistic profit goals alongside short sighted and inconsistant management.  then the private equity firm owners declared the company's bankruptcy in a maneuver to get out of said debt, liquidate all existing physical assets for a short term gain, get out of employee contracts (especially retirement ans severance packages), all so that they could rebrand as an online seller.

it had nothing to do with the state of the retail market.

Ok. I overstated by attributing Toys R Us with saying that is was a significant factor. But if you want to play the reference game, here are two articles that refer to the general decline in toy sales as a factor. :P

https://www.retaildive.com/news/inside-the-20-year-decline-of-toys-r-us/526364/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/03/18/toys-r-us-bankruptcy-liquidation/436176002/

On 3/3/2019 at 6:55 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

Thank you for saying this. A lot of people looking at the toy sales really don't understand the value a "Free To Play" game has for not just the child but the whole gatdam family. It isn't always free, but it's a way for kids to have fun for a sort of lower expense than they would otherwise- especially with figures not costing 5-6 bucks like they used to when we were kids.

You used to be able to clean out shelves with 100 bucks. Today you can barely take a chunk.

Both with 100 bucks you can have a loooot of virtual fun characters on galaxy of heroes, or something.

it seems like toys are more for collectors than kids.

granted my 5 year old loves his Transformer toys and his preschool style Galaxy Hero Star Wars figures (AT-AT being his favorite) and the hot wheels ships. but he has a bunch of the regular action figures I got him for christmas (from the dollar store no less) and he could care less. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

You want a whole movie about why a fighter doesn't happen?

Also rumor has it Rey ends up with one. So who knows.

please pm me source on this. it would make me super happy. 

1 hour ago, Wiredin said:

won't anyone think of the B-wings?!

I agree, B-Wings get no love.  I would love to see Resistance B-Wings.  They get no love recently from the current trilogy and even games (none in Battlefront 1 and 2).  Did they forget it was the most advanced fighter from ROTJ?  Should have a variant in the Resistance besides the Resistance Transport.

2 hours ago, Sasebo75 said:

I agree, B-Wings get no love.  I would love to see Resistance B-Wings.  They get no love recently from the current trilogy and even games (none in Battlefront 1 and 2).  Did they forget it was the most advanced fighter from ROTJ?  Should have a variant in the Resistance besides the Resistance Transport.

I THINK B-Wings actually showed up in the later DLC levels of EA's first Battlefront, but as an AI assist or something (it's been a while since I played). When it comes to the B-Wing and video games, I think it comes  down to how to balance them. The core 3 fighters are easy enough: X-Wing is the average all around, A-Wing zippy little gnat, and the tanky Y-Wing. The B-Wing? It leans a little too close to the X-Wing with it's canon agility, but tankier than the Y-Wing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED flying these things back in the X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance days (and of course now with this lovely miniatures game), but I'm well aware of how difficult these bastards are to fit into a game like Battlefront II's mechanics (yeah, yeah, I play it now... got it for under $10 and I only wish it released in it's CURRENT state because it's ACTUALLY a decently fun game now!)

16 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

True, but (1) even if they're using "old" stuff dug up from a boneyard somewhere, 'brand new', post Jakku designs from the dawn of the new republic are still as old to the resistance as the clone wars Y-wings from Reklam Station were to the Rebels, and (2) it's a star wars film - can you honestly see them not taking the opportunity to have a new model/toy/key fob/plushie/dog onsie/etc if they can justify it?

I don't think I ever said they wouldn't.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:12 PM, GreenDragoon said:

Most criticism is just so thinly veiled that the underlying cause instead of the alway mentioned proximate reason is clearly visible. TLJ was extremely solid from start to finish, with some of the best and most beautiful character arcs that we've seen in 2,5h of StarWars up until now. The most common criticisms are so extremely hypocritical that it is mind boggling how they don't implode.

Some criticism is very good and valid (there is not just one clear theme but a combination of several is e.g. a valid point I think), but the signal to noise ratio is far worse than this forum.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't like TLJ that much (great movie half the time, but the comedic side didn't do it for me which was amplified by the movie switching tones rather rapidly through a lot of it, loved it, but only on a second viewing where I could get past the jokes that didn't work for me), but because I still liked it and don't buy into questionable narratives I'm a shill, apparently.

Episode IX, though, exciting stuff, I really want to see where they take the story from this point. While I liked TFA as a whole more than TLJ, it didn't do the ending as well as it, the cliffhanger was too small scale to really captivate my imagination. Didn't feel as excited for TLJ as I am for IX now because of that.

17 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I THINK B-Wings actually showed up in the later DLC levels of EA's first Battlefront, but as an AI assist or something (it's been a while since I played). When it comes to the B-Wing and video games, I think it comes  down to how to balance them. The core 3 fighters are easy enough: X-Wing is the average all around, A-Wing zippy little gnat, and the tanky Y-Wing. The B-Wing? It leans a little too close to the X-Wing with it's canon agility, but tankier than the Y-Wing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED flying these things back in the X-Wing and X-Wing Alliance days (and of course now with this lovely miniatures game), but I'm well aware of how difficult these bastards are to fit into a game like Battlefront II's mechanics (yeah, yeah, I play it now... got it for under $10 and I only wish it released in it's CURRENT state because it's ACTUALLY a decently fun game now!)

I haven't played Battlefront, but it should have lower speed than the X-wing but higher maneuverability than the Y-Wing, and better armor and weapons than both of them. It might feel a bit too samey but choices are better than not choices.

21 minutes ago, Redblock said:

Resistance already has B-wing, that transport shuttle is rebuild B-wing, and its coming in wave 5. Even has cannon slot.

The role of that ship is completely different, as a transport rather than a heavy fighter/bomber/gunship. On top of that, the cockpit is pulled from a B-Wing Mark II. At current, we have no idea what a B-Wing Mark II is, other than that the cockpit pod of the resistance shuttle probably looks like the cockpit of the B-Wing Mark II. It's not the same thing, though.