Let's say i want to run a VCX with a shuttle docked from setup. Do I need both titles or only the Ghost? It could be an obvious answer but i can't find in the rules reference anything regarding the prerequisites to have a ship docked.

For reference:

Ghost

You can dock 1 attack shuttle or Sheathipede-class shuttle.
Your docked ships can deploy only from your rear guides.

Phantom

You can dock at range 0-1.

Posted (edited)

"Untitled" Phantoms can dock to Ghost following the basic rules of docking, i.e. doing so only at range 0. 

Paying for the "Phantom" title grants you the ability to extend the effective docking range to range 1 band. 

On a side-note: am I the only one driven up the wall FFG decided to represent the structural limitations of deploying thr Phantom from the Ghost - only through the rear - but when the time came around to design the Falcon + Pod duo they went "nah, this fella sure can bolt right through the Dejarik longue and hop out of the engine grid"?

Edited by Ryfterek

1 hour ago, Ryfterek said:

On a side-note: am I the only one driven up the wall FFG decided to represent the structural limitations of deploying thr Phantom from the Ghost - only through the rear - but when the time came around to design the Falcon + Pod duo they went "nah, this fella sure can bolt right through the Dejarik longue and hop out of the engine grid"?

No, you're not alone, it starts the little (but overused) area of my brain devoted to my being a terrible pedant itching in a very annoying and unscratchable way 😐

On 3/1/2019 at 12:09 AM, Ryfterek said:

Power Creep started with Wave 1. 

On 3/1/2019 at 3:09 AM, Ryfterek said:

"nah, this fella sure can bolt right through the Dejarik longue and hop out of the engine grid"

You say that as if you think there's a better way to engineer it.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:09 AM, Ryfterek said:

Sadly I think it's more a limitation of the physical card and how many features they jammed into the Lando Falcon title:

Card_Upgrade_164.png

Compare that wall of text to the Ghost:

Card_Upgrade_102.png

I think it would have been better to make the center paragraph about Shields a separate upgrade that could be a title/configuration for the escape craft or a modification for the Falcon (and maybe other dock-able ships too?)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nitrobenz said:

Sadly I think it's more a limitation of the physical card and how many features they jammed into the Lando Falcon title

I see your point and raise you this:

latest?cb=20190110141612

They know how to shrink the font and spacing when they want to. 

If they want to.

Edited by Ryfterek

On 3/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, nitrobenz said:

😅 guess they didn't want to. 

I still would like the shield sharing to be a function available to other docking ships.

I actually think this works thematically, as the escape craft is the only docking ship where the docked ship was originally a part of the craft in question. The Ghost just happens to have a shuttle-shaped hole in the back of it that any appropriately sized shuttle can dock into, but that craft isn't actually a part of the ship and wouldn't be able to enhance the shields of its carrier ship with its own. We just think of it that way because we all bought a ghost that came with a shuttle permanently affixed inside the rear end. 

2 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I actually think this works thematically, as the escape craft is the only docking ship where the docked ship was originally a part of the craft in question. The Ghost just happens to have a shuttle-shaped hole in the back of it that any appropriately sized shuttle can dock into, but that craft isn't actually a part of the ship and wouldn't be able to enhance the shields of its carrier ship with its own. We just think of it that way because we all bought a ghost that came with a shuttle permanently affixed inside the rear end. 

I could have sworn I read somewhere that what X-wing Minis calls the "Attack Shuttle" was in universe designated a "VCX-series Auxiliary Craft". And now I'm veering somewhat off topic...

Now, I know wookieepedia is not infallible, but it does list the VCX-series auxiliary starfighter as a compliment of the VCX-100. The manufacture of the VCX fighter is stated to be CEC (same as the VCX-100 itself, as well as the YT-1300), while the YT Dart was actually a tug designed by an affiliate of CEC.

Given that info, it sounds more to me like the VCX Fighter should be better integrated into the overall ship systems than the aftermarket tug. Besides that, I don't think the YT Dart is even built with combat grade shields to be integrated. 

Back on the topic of in-game docking related machanics, I just think shield sharing with the mothership would be a cool mechanic to spend points on for other ships and it would have freed up space on the Lando Falcon title card to put in a forward-launch-only restriction.