konbox

Painting bases

Hello,

I've just bought a new set of orange Bases & Pegs but the package doesn't contain any medium size bases. My question is which paint should i use on the standard bases to get similar colour. How to avoid visible brush strokes ?

I'm not sure on the color, but if you paint the underside of the bases, they'll look good and shouldn't have any brush strokes to worry about. I don't have any pics to share, but that's what I do, but with solid colors.

I'm thinking you'll have to use or make a glaze to get that translucency.

Look for something similar to this:

Citadel Glaze Paint Lamenters Yellow - wargamesemporium

Practice on any extra small bases that you might have.

If you spray paint a metallic on the underside of the base, it won't have that reflective quality about it; I've tried it. You'll get the color, but not the the shiny-ness.

You'll have to paint the top-side, which can be prone to chipping, but for myself, I don't need my bases to remain pristine. You can always do touch-ups.

In preparation for the Naboo Starfighter, I picked up a paint marker called Liquid Chrome that provides a mirror finish (and it works beautifully) so I tried it on a spare base to see if I could get the mirror/chrome to work if I colored the underside of the base, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

I ended up chroming the exterior of the base and it looks great. I had to try it out on a ship, so now my Duchess' Striker has a chrome finish and looks fantastic. Hopefully your mirror spray paint works out too. Good luck sir.