Clutterbuck

Dormitz to 70 points, Hyperspace to 10

16 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

It also sets the precedent of FFG releasing unbalanced stuff and trying to correct it with points at the last minute. We have less than two days to our Hyperspace event. It's going to be a very sloppy and confusing game from here on in. What about 5 Y's? That actually won the Toronto Hyperspace event. Is that list going to be "corrected" tomorrow?

There's a not-insignificant difference between winning an event and being NPE.  5Y may be potent, but flying against them still feels like actually playing the game, with both players' flying skills playing part.  TripleU you are either prepared for the trick and end up beating them, or you're not prepared and you lose.  

9 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Lots of people thought triple upsilons wasn't the threat it was hyped to be. (It was still being debated) Yet here we are.

It's not about how powerful it was; it's about NPE.

6 minutes ago, Jarval said:

While I entirely get the reasoning behind this, it makes Dormitz much too expensive for his effect in any other list, and likewise means that Hyperspace Tracking Data just won't see play. I see why its been done, but it feels like they swung too far on this one. 

Probably.  But I think that is better than swinging too lightly and having to come after it again later.  Remember the tragedy of Master Jump the Terrible and the four nerfenings.

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

It's not about how powerful it was; it's about NPE.

I'd say its mainly the amount of publicity (so quantity of NPE not quality) . 5x Double Tap Yion is just as NPE, but it just hasn't become as well know yet. That'll probably change now that's it won something.

Edited by prauxim

7 minutes ago, Jarval said:

While I entirely get the reasoning behind this, it makes Dormitz much too expensive for his effect in any other list, and likewise means that Hyperspace Tracking Data just won't see play. I see why its been done, but it feels like they swung too far on this one. 

I mean it’s an ability that only exists to abuse people not ready for an alpha strike...upsilons were the main tool for that now but without upcosting him imagine what an actual good missile could do with a bunch of sfs and dormitz...plus if there is a “wholesome” way to use either one that people beg and plead enough for ffg can always bring it down a little bit

Just now, prauxim said:

I'd say its mainly the amount of publicity (so quantity of NPE not quality) . 5x Double Tap Yion is just as NPE, but it just hasn't become as well know yet. 

While I haven't played or played against either list, I think there's some truth to this. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 5 y's could become seen as NPE if enough players ***** about it.

13 minutes ago, prauxim said:

I'd say its mainly the amount of publicity (so quantity of NPE not quality) . 5x Double Tap Yion is just as NPE, but it just hasn't become as well know yet. That'll probably change now that's it won something.

Nah, the y player still has to fly and make the right choices. trip ups didnt have to think to win the game on turn one. 

3 minutes ago, Laniakean_Guy said:

Weeeeelllll.... glad I didn't buy two more Upsilons at Amazon 😅

In the end, I am too. I hate the idea of chasing meta lists, but sometimes FFG leaves us with few good choices.

35 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Probably.  But I think that is better than swinging too lightly and having to come after it again later.  Remember the tragedy of Master Jump the Terrible and the four nerfenings.

It's just difficult to look at Dormitz at 70 points and Tavson at 62 and see how Dormitz is getting 8 points of extra value...

7 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Some truth to this, the 5y double tap was a buff too far, but it was a list you could reasonably beat on tactics. It may be hard, and certainly there are things that just can’t match it *cough*Black Squad Strikers*cough*, but it felt like you always could be in the game.

But the Tripsilon list meant that there were ships you could bring that would insta lose. Note the complete lack of Strikers in Hyperspace that performed. We had one Striker swarm there, and it went 1-5.

And while the Tripsilons has middling showings, there is a clear pattern on what didn’t lose to it.

heavy swarms (double tap Y’s, T-70’s) or I6 (usually multiple, or a high health fast ship like Boba along with). Literally every single list that beat it went one or the other. So if you can’t deploy at least your main piece after, or couldn’t take the initial punch without losing half your list? Well you lost, end of story.

55 minutes ago, Jarval said:

FFG has a history of overcorrecting, so this is on par.

I wouldn't expect this to be an indication of where Dormitz and Hyperdata will wind up forever. This feels more like a quick and dirty banhammer on a popular, widely-known NPE interaction, to make sure it's out of the game for the next few months.

I imagine they'll take a more nuanced approach in July.

Edited by Maui.

Making Dormitz illegal in hyperspace woulda been goo enough, lol. Or making Hyper Data unique. As Toronto pointed out, Extended can more than handle the list. 70pts and 10pts essentially kills those two cards.

Whatever, Im glad that craptastic list is done for

22 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Better than the status quo.

I'd have preferred a use of errata here, since none of these ships/upgrades really seemed like a problem outside of the combo.  If I were in charge, I'd have changed Dormitz's ability to only work with Small and Medium base ships.

Me too. I'd rather have HSTD be unique, and Dormitz's ability only affect one ship. Now we have a points increase used to break up a combo, which affects the pilot and upgrade outside of the combo. I imagine we'll see a lot of this going forward, since points values are easy for FFG to change, but cards are not.

5 double tap Yions is 205pts, to everyone saying how OP these are.

The popular 5 Ywing list is some mix of ions and dorsal (in extended) or lose a VTG in hyperspace.

To all those cheering on FFG for this change... Really? 

I get that this list needed to be killed, I fly FO almost exclusively (never ran this list in 2.0) but now FFG have relegated both cards to binder trash.

Look at the cards in isolation:

Did you ever see Dormitz outside this list?

Did you ever see HTD outside this list? 

No you didn't. 

It was the combination of these cards that was the problem so why not look at the root cause and fix it instead of killing them off?

FO is already restricted in options so restricting then even more seems silly. 

HTD should have been unique or Dormitz needed not to work on Large ships. Simple, effective, still gives room to try to keep these cards viable in the game. 

10 minutes ago, Deffly said:

HTD should have been unique or Dormitz needed not to work on Large ships. Simple, effective, still gives room to try to keep these cards viable in the game. 

FFG has been pretty clear that they do not plan on any card errata for 2nd Ed.  We can argue whether that is the right decision but it seems pretty clear that they are sticking with it.