Clutterbuck

Dormitz to 70 points, Hyperspace to 10

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/28/the-battle-of-toronto/?fbclid=IwAR1OzqOv04qe0XdEn9RDAZr5rj5KDhQrLTTp5ICTY9NX05LrasiRtw5aJrU

Scroll to the bottom

They really clubbed this one pretty hard.  You can still run three upsilons, but without the advantages of I6 deployment and turn one token stack, why would you?

Edited by Clutterbuck

Just now, The Penguin UK said:

Ignoring the points increase, it sets and interesting precedent for points adjustments to address certain lists - possibly ones providing NPE's that ignore, as they call it, core game mechanics.

Precisely.

The problem is ... is Hyperspace tracking data worth 10 points at all when it is not on Dormitz? Most of the time, the effect is : ''Place your ship at I6, disregard the rest of the card...''
Is that really worth 10 points on any ship unable to capitalize first turn combat?

So, counting to 200: Uuupsilon still fits.

You only get one copy of Hyperspace Tracking Data, and if you want Tavson instead of two generic Starkiller Base Pilots, you have two points left. No collision detectors or advanced sensors or pattern analyzers for you.

You can still fit Domitz w/ HTD and SBP w/ HTD, but it leaves only 54 points, so you're one point short of Quickdraw + SF Gunner. Drop one copy of HTD, and you can fit QD plus some upgrades, but not the full bling you could fit before.

3 minutes ago, The Penguin UK said:

Ignoring the points increase, it sets and interesting precedent for points adjustments to address certain lists - possibly ones providing NPE's that ignore, as they call it, core game mechanics.

If that's all it gets used for, and sparingly, I'm 100% for it.

The rationale:

While these ships and upgrades didn't blast into the Top 8 at Toronto, they have been effective at previous events—in a way that deemphasizes the game's core focus on careful maneuvering. The triple

Upsilon-class shuttle list provided a negative play experience for new players, and Toronto has already proven that the First Order has other viable options for top-level squadrons.

Good work FFG.

Yeah, aside from this list, Dormitz is not that good. And aside from this list, Hyperspace tracking data is not that good. But both are going to be pointed so that my silly 2 Silencer Alpha is going to be nerfed. Ah, well. At least it was only a silly list of mine that got bonked! Furthermore, I'm glad UUU (alpha version) is getting nerfed. I'm getting tired of listening to the complaints about them, despite them being a one-trick pony often piloted by people seeking an easier time and thus not fully utilizing them.

First the points update which did nearly everything I was hoping for and waaaaaay more than I expected.  Now a timely swing of the nerf-hammer to destroy a gross NPE/troll list.  I'm pretty excited about the future of 2nd Ed.  Has room to improve obviously but they're making some good moves.

5 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

First the points update which did nearly everything I was hoping for and waaaaaay more than I expected.  Now a timely swing of the nerf-hammer to destroy a gross NPE/troll list.  I'm pretty excited about the future of 2nd Ed.  Has room to improve obviously but they're making some good moves.

I liked that they pointed out a non-TripleU First Order list making the Top 8, as it indicates they're trying to stay conscious of such things and not destroy an entire faction just to balance one list.

I like that they didn't wait until July to adjust points to rein in a list that was unfun.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

I liked that they pointed out a non-TripleU First Order list making the Top 8, as it indicates they're trying to stay conscious of such things and not destroy an entire faction just to balance one list.

I too like this.

33 minutes ago, The Penguin UK said:

It also sets the precedent of FFG releasing unbalanced stuff and trying to correct it with points at the last minute. We have less than two days to our Hyperspace event. It's going to be a very sloppy and confusing game from here on in. What about 5 Y's? That actually won the Toronto Hyperspace event. Is that list going to be "corrected" tomorrow?

Edited by Koing907

33 minutes ago, DarthSempai said:

The problem is ... is Hyperspace tracking data worth 10 points at all when it is not on Dormitz? Most of the time, the effect is : ''Place your ship at I6, disregard the rest of the card...''
Is that really worth 10 points on any ship unable to capitalize first turn combat?

Dunno. FFG is using points costs as a hammer instead of a screwdriver. I expect we'll see lots of last minute points changes from here on in, as FFG gets spooked by every meta twist.

2 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Can 5 Y's guarantee a round one, unavoidable engagement with a token stack?  No?  Then I think you're fine.

Lots of people thought triple upsilons wasn't the threat it was hyped to be. (It was still being debated) Yet here we are.

Edited by Koing907

1 minute ago, Koing907 said:

Lots of veteran players thought triple upsilons wasn't the threat it was hyped to be. (It was still being debated) Yet here we are.

Fixed to bring in line with FFG's stated reason. For a new player having that token stacked monstrosity in your face on turn 1 is a nightmare.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Fixed to bring in line with FFG's stated reason. For a new player having that token stacked monstrosity in your face on turn 1 is a nightmare.

Maybe FFG shouldn't have put in cards that allowed ships to deploy past range 1, and then stack them with tokens in the first place.