Whiz Canmaj

What cards do you play, that NEVER gets played against you?

(Bonus points for choosing common/uncommon cards)

After playing for 3 months, I've realized that I've played Battle Fleet a dozen times, but never had it used against me. I see Library Access week in and week out, but I've never seen the Martian card drawer. And by the nature of the fixed deck, I would've thought that it would have appeared at least once, even if it's just incidental to what my opponent likes about their deck. 

What cards do you use a lot, but never seen played by your opponents?

Edited by Whiz Canmaj

It's more of a combo. My best deck has neutron shark and dextre, si I sometimes get to use the neutron shark and instead of using its ability on itself to end its ability, I use it on Dexter which has an added bonus: destroying dextre puts him on top of the draw, then apply the shark's effect to discard the top of your deck. Now you're free from that annoying card! And since it's logos: end the shark's effect!

I feel like I have several decks with a Sanctum capture theme but I never see it played against me. The creature Gatekeeper especially, but Terms of Redress, Take Hostages, Champion Tabris. 

I think this can be more attributed to the spread of decks in my local area and what factions players did and did not get. I like playing a deck that has the Shadows card The Sting, but I don't see anyone else using it because they don't have it. Same with Masterplan. The other local opponent that does have The Sting in a deck also has Keycharge in that deck so he absolutely uses it.

Same thing with Blood Money, never seen it in a deck against me. My first deck I ever got had three of them. My most frequent opponent might answer the Horsemen because no one else in the area has a horsemen deck.

In the end I think this drives back the original idea that Garfield was going for though, with no one guaranteed deck archetype you just have to learn what your opponents have and what they can do. 

I know it's a rare, but I have only seen One Stood Against Many used against me once, even though I find any way I can to use it. My first five decks had Sanctum and two of them had this card so I use it a lot. Even better when paired with Shield of Justice or Potion of Invulnerability 😇

I have it in a deck but it's super hard to use, especially since I don't necessarily have a lot of creatures in the deck. and no way to remove the artifact if I need to.

11 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Same, Annihilation Ritual was in the first deck I got! It is a tricky card to use effectively.

I'm fortunate in that my deck is a great Annihilation Ritual deck.  It has two board wipe cards, lots of Brobnar and Dis creatures and two copies of Arise.  I play light on creatures, discarding all of the Shadows and half of the Brobnar.  I use Brobnar creatures to kill my opponents and if I have a board wipe in hand, I'll use it if they get up to 5 creatures or if it looks like they're gaining too much benefit.  Once I feel like they've purged most of their creatures, I'll use Arise to pull back whichever house represents the largest number.  At the point, I usually win a few rounds later.

Pocket Universe for me, though not in a good sense.

Quite possibly the least impacting card I have come across in the entire set, though I'm not 100% familiar with all the cards, but it does nothing the turn you play it and only has a very minimal impact on any other Logos turn in the future. it doesn't even give you and Aember the turn you play it.

Never had it played against me and the only reason I play it at all is to get it out of my deck so I don't redraw it when I cycle through the deck.

Well it's ok against steal-heavy decks, but even then it may work in the opponent's favour by allowing some other cards to take full effect.

And since amber on cards is invalid for "in turn" forging (forging out of the forge key step) it's kinda meh.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, Deuzerre said:

And since amber on cards is invalid for "in turn" forging (forging out of the forge key step) it's kinda meh.

Are you sure? They both say "You may spend Æmber on [this card] when forging keys." The card text doesn't limit when that applies. Is there a ruling I missed about this?

It's in teh current rulebook, page 4, currently in Red in the rules

On 3/8/2019 at 3:39 AM, Rabbitball said:

Are you sure? They both say "You may spend Æmber on [this card] when forging keys." The card text doesn't limit when that applies. Is there a ruling I missed about this?

Some cards have effects that allow Æmber on these cards to be spent when forging keys. If there is enough Æmber on cards with this effect you control combined with the Æmber in your Æmber pool to forge a key you must do so during Step 1.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Deuzerre said:

It's in teh current rulebook, page 4, currently in Red in the rules

Some cards have effects that allow Æmber on these cards to be spent when forging keys. If there is enough Æmber on cards with this effect you control combined with the Æmber in your Æmber pool to forge a key you must do so during Step 1.

How does that make it invalid from using it for forge 'in turn' ?? All that means is you have to forge in step 1, but if you then go on to gather enough during turn you can KeyCharge, Chota, etc

Edited by dpuck1998

"Some cards have effects that allow Æmber on these cards to be spent when forging keys"
"you must do so du
ring Step 1" -> In other words, it's only at that step that you can do it.

I don’t see that rule as a limitation to forging during a turn with cards like key charge/key abduction etc.

My guess was that clarification came about because people were claiming they didn’t have to use that aember on it to forge if they didn’t want to during the forge step. They are reiterating the rule that at the start of the turn if you can forge you must forge.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Deuzerre said:

"Some cards have effects that allow Æmber on these cards to be spent when forging keys"
"you must do so du

That's not how anyone else I know has interpreted that. The issue was if you had, say 5 Æmber in your pool and 1 on Safe Place if you could skip forging a key in step 1 as a result. The ruling is that you can't because you have the capability to forge thanks to that added Æmber. It says nothing about whether they can be used additionally when you have a forging option at another time. 

EDIT: I just looked over the rule you quoted, and it's listed as part of the rules for Step 1, Forging a Key. So by context, it's limited to that specific step of the game. By the Golden Rule, a card can break the printed rules of the game, so it makes no sense that a rule that's printed within the context of a specific step of the game would have any impact outside the step and would affect the workings of a card, which by definition breaks the rules.

Edited by Rabbitball
Added information and argument

On 3/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, Deuzerre said:

"you must do so du

You ALWAYS have to forge a key in step 1 if able, so by that I could never forge a key out of Step 1.  

I think you are confusing a clarification that you have to forge a key if (Safe Place for example) has Amber on it with the fact you can always forge a key out of step 1.  No one else is reading it that way, including any chain events, etc.

Well since the rules for "forging keys" redirect to there (so there are o real rules for forging keys in an ongoing turn) and I had read this as exclusively, well. My bad.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:09 AM, Rabbitball said:

I know it's a rare, but I have only seen One Stood Against Many used against me once, even though I find any way I can to use it. My first five decks had Sanctum and two of them had this card so I use it a lot. Even better when paired with Shield of Justice or Potion of Invulnerability 😇

One of my favorite decks has One Stood Against Many AND Champion's Challenge with Mugwump. Invariably my opponents have to pick up those cards and read them :)