Sign in to follow this  
Hiemfire

Foslo's Inferno

Ved's ability (the 2.0 reprint of 1.0's Juno Eclipse) has fascinated me since the first time I read it, so I've been theory crafting a fair bit with him as a component trying to come up with a list that felt "right" for how I like to play. This is what I came up with. Init matched for flexibility in activation order (I'm dead set on this. While I can play mixed init, I really don't like being locked into an activation sequence) with a good mix of abilities (obviously, it's Inferno Squad +1...¬†ūüėÄ) to go with Ved's "WTF is that doing moving there" style. Quick and nimble with options (including blocking when against higher init) and consists of ships I own (That it is Hyperspace legal is a bonus since I play extended).¬†

Ved Foslo (45)
Marksmanship (1)
Advanced Sensors (10)
Afterburners (6)

Options to complement his pilot ability and chewing larger ships to bits via increased probability of multiple crits.

Del Meeko (30)
Predator (2)

A good defensive piece that doesn't hard lock you into being range one of him.

Gideon Hask (30)
Predator (2)

He's a sadistic *** and this comes out beautifully in his ability.

Seyn Marana (30)
Marksmanship (1)

The beauty that gets 40% of the list ticking.

Iden Versio (40)
Predator (2)
Total: 199

Mama Goose, if you've ever ticked off a goose you know why this isn't an insult. Keeps the "chicks" alive just long enough to get things ticking.

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Thoughts?

I would totally swap Ved's marksmanship for Predator. Thats the exact build I take and it makes for some hilarious moments and an absolute monster of a ship. You're ublockable (pretty much), you don't lose out on rerolls from a lack of FCS, and you can still hit like a truck. 

Unless you want the bid of course. Other than that, looks great!

2 minutes ago, Cow-of-Doom said:

I would totally swap Ved's marksmanship for Predator. Thats the exact build I take and it makes for some hilarious moments and an absolute monster of a ship. You're ublockable (pretty much), you don't lose out on rerolls from a lack of FCS, and you can still hit like a truck. 

Unless you want the bid of course. Other than that, looks great!

I'll give Marks a go first and then test it with Predator. The "bid" is just because I wanted Marksmanship. :)

Yeah for sure lol. Either can work, it looks amazing and I really want to poach this and take it for a spin. I just get excited when people have almost identical builds for Ved and I scream "Other people have found this Gem of an off meta pilot" in my head XD

5 minutes ago, Cow-of-Doom said:

Yeah for sure lol. Either can work, it looks amazing and I really want to poach this and take it for a spin. I just get excited when people have almost identical builds for Ved and I scream "Other people have found this Gem of an off meta pilot" in my head XD

Give it a spin. I don't own the game or the list so it ain't poaching.

Looks really good.

1. I agree marksmanship's probably not ideal - you're already getting a critical with Advanced Targeting Computer*, and the odds of getting multiple hits through on an attack are much lower.
  2. Predator however also feels like the wrong choice. Firstly, using it requires a bullseye, which constrains Ved's manouvrability by requiring him to line up a target cleanly. Not that hard - being able to shimmy your speed up or down one makes it a lot easier - but it does limit his ability to play "squirrely dogfighter". More importantly, with Advanced Sensors not Fire Control System, he's going to be spending his target lock to reroll any number of attack dice....which makes the one-die reroll from Predator kind of pointless unless you don't have a target lock that turn** so I feel you're better off with something else.  
  3. My main issue with so many Predators on the TIE fighters is this:
    • The TIE/ln are all going to be clustered at range 1 around Iden Versio to stop them suffering spontaneous existence failure.
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble is easy.¬†
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble whilst giving them all bullseye arc targets is not easy
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble whilst giving them all bullseye arc on the same target is bloody difficult.¬†
    • You can't really remove Seyn's Marksmanship talent as it makes Gideon and Del¬†tick.¬†
  4. For the same cost as predator on Iden, Del and Gideon, you could give Ved Outmanouvre. That's an ability he can credibly use, even at initiative 4, given how squirrely he can be, and it makes even a shot where you haven't locked your target*** and want to use focus/barrel roll to get a shot with your 'normal' primary weapon. 

* because you did target lock, didn't you? good, thank you.

** and if not, why not - get out of my simulator room you cretin.

*** you, wash your mouth out and report to the commandant's office you orrible little man, you, don't listen to him and lock your target, right?

these public service messages brought to you by Instructor Vult Skerris of the Imperial Skystrike piloting college

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I have been thinking a build that looks like this one, but with one diference, to make tick way more everyone¬ī¬† s ability i changed Iden for Mareek¬† ... there goes the build :

Maarek Stele ‚ÄĒ TIE Advanced x1¬†¬† ¬†46
Franco-Atirador    1  -   maskmanship
Sistema de Controle de Tiro    2 FCS
Mísseis de Fragmentação    5  cluster missiles
Ship Total: 54
Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3

Gideon Hask ‚ÄĒ TIE/ln Fighter¬†¬† ¬†30
Tiro Certeiro    1  Crack shot
Ship Total: 31
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Del Meeko ‚ÄĒ TIE/ln Fighter¬†¬† ¬†30
Líder de Esquadrão    10    Squad leader
Ship Total: 40
Half Points: 20 Threshold: 2

Seyn Marana ‚ÄĒ TIE/ln Fighter¬†¬† ¬†30
Franco-Atirador    1    Maskmanship
Ship Total: 31
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Zertik Strom ‚ÄĒ TIE Advanced x1¬†¬† ¬†42
Sistema de Controle de Tiro    2   FCS
Ship Total: 44
Half Points: 22 Threshold: 3

Mareek with  maskmanship + cluster missiles is a chance of  having crit in both shots !    since all normal ties want to stay close to Del , squad leader fits there , anda have the same range as his special ability. 

1 hour ago, Rokian said:

Mareek with  maskmanship + cluster missiles is a chance of  having crit in both shots !   

It is. But you can't fire the second shot at the same target, so that would require you to bullseye two targets at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

It is. But you can't fire the second shot at the same target, so that would require you to bullseye two targets at the same time.¬†ÔĽŅ

yup ,  low chance , but,  since it is with a ps5 ship , you will have way better chances of proc against heavy swarm , making the build more versitile.

8 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Looks really good.

1. I agree marksmanship's probably not ideal - you're already getting a critical with Advanced Targeting Computer*, and the odds of getting multiple hits through on an attack are much lower.
  2. Predator however also feels like the wrong choice. Firstly, using it requires a bullseye, which constrains Ved's manouvrability by requiring him to line up a target cleanly. Not that hard - being able to shimmy your speed up or down one makes it a lot easier - but it does limit his ability to play "squirrely dogfighter". More importantly, with Advanced Sensors not Fire Control System, he's going to be spending his target lock to reroll any number of attack dice....which makes the one-die reroll from Predator kind of pointless unless you don't have a target lock that turn** so I feel you're better off with something else.  
  3. My main issue with so many Predators on the TIE fighters is this:
    • The TIE/ln are all going to be clustered at range 1 around Iden Versio to stop them suffering spontaneous existence failure.
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble is easy.¬†
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble whilst giving them all bullseye arc targets is not easy
    • Keeping everyone in a range 1 bubble whilst giving them all bullseye arc on the same target is bloody difficult.¬†
    • You can't really remove Seyn's Marksmanship talent as it makes Gideon and Del¬†tick.¬†
  4. For the same cost as predator on Iden, Del and Gideon, you could give Ved Outmanouvre. That's an ability he can credibly use, even at initiative 4, given how squirrely he can be, and it makes even a shot where you haven't locked your target and want to use focus/barrel roll to get a shot with your 'normal' primary weapon. 

* because you did target lock, didn't you? good, thank you.

** and if not, why not - get out of my simulator room you cretin.

*** you, wash your mouth out and report to the commandant's office you orrible little man, you, don't listen to him and lock your target, right?

these public service messages brought to you by Instructor Vult Skerris of the Imperial Skystrike piloting college

Yah forgot to put in the "***" in the main body. :P You did remind me of why I went for Marks over Pred, I'm going to be locking anyways (one of the reasons Advanced Sensors is there, the other is being just plain annoyingly hard to pin down where Ved is going to end up thanks to barrel roll into reds being a possibility). Its 1 point and I'm not expecting it to constantly bring in the bacon against every target, but when it means burning down a hp sink large base those double crits will stack up fast. :)Outmaneuver Ved is on my list of builds to give a go. Going to be testing with an adjusted Inferno squad and 4 Outmaneuver Blacks (**** formations someone is going to be out of the enemy's arc :)). Iden works once. After that she's an extra set of guns and not much else.