gmcc

about new Vader Commander

Is the community allowed to express its desire for new models for existing miniatures? Yes.

Is it reasonable for FFG to esculpt a new exclusive miniature to incentivate these types of event? Of course.

Crying about the injustice of it is just wrong and calling fanboy to the people who defends this kind of move by FFG is just sad. Does the majority of the Imperial players want the new sculpt? Yes. Is that relevant to the topic? No.

It is a decision by FFG and they have been smart enough to limit it to a visual difference with a bit of a "high ground". I cannot attend and I will lose the opportunity to buy one BUT I am not entitled to have one. I am grateful that the perks for attending are limited to a new sculpt of an existing miniature and some new artworks for the command cards.

So, please stop the saltiness about AlterVader and please promote relevant feedback like polite comments about how new sculpts for the core units would be great.

I really like it, but no chance of getting one.  For me I wouldn't care but it's cooler than the existing sculpt, which was already the best of all the figs IMO. It's really desirable from a 'would love to paint that!' angle, though. LOVE those levitating rocks! Great work FFG sculptor(s). 

If FFG really want to heckle me though, next year they should release an exclusive Leia sculpt that looks cooler than the existing one and that I can't get :) ...  (That doesn't sound too hard)

14 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Ummm, multiple criminal offenses is hardly the same as them releasing a unique sculpt that doesn’t actually change your life in any meaningful way.

Nobody on the forum is going to defend ffg actually committing criminal acts. Even unethical actions. 

If FFG loses any court cases and loses money they can’t make as many expansions. As such, it is within our interests to defend them.

16 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Ummm, multiple criminal offenses is hardly the same as them releasing a unique sculpt that doesn’t actually change your life in any meaningful way.

Nobody on the forum is going to defend ffg actually committing criminal acts. Even unethical actions. 

Except to Ewoks...

2 hours ago, Jabby said:

If FFG loses any court cases and loses money they can’t make as many expansions. As such, it is within our interests to defend them.

The defense of evil won't produce good results in the longrun.

In today's markets, with historically easier access to liquid capital than any other time in human history, the biggest thing keeping them from releasing expansions is how many expansions they can convince a banker that they can sell. Lots of games re-emerge from the ashes of lawsuits, bad management, and so on.

And not ALL expansions to a game are in our best interests as players and painters.

Con exclusives are nothing new. FFG has a long history of it, usually con exclusive art variants. Arkham Horror had alt art Great Old Ones. X-wing has had a lot of alt art pilot and upgrade cards. Vader is just three dimensional alt art. 

I played Star Trek Attack Wing for a (very) short while, and there, and at Wizkids in general, is where you find a shameful example of exclusivity. Many of the most competitive ships in Attack Wing were championship prizes for organized play. Thus, the game quickly began to favor those who either had been playing from the beginning, and thus had overpowered prize ships/upgrades, or those who would pay obscene amounts on eBay to get those items. Regular, new players were essentially barred from successful competition because they couldn’t get exclusive items. 

Not having con Vader will not bar anyone from victory. We’ll all be just as competitive (or, non-competitive for those of us who aren’t that good) with or without him. 

From that standpoint, I see nothing wrong with FFG’s decision. Exclusives and limited editions are a regular part of collecting, be it with games, toys or comic books. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:10 AM, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Mostly, but not 100% the same. With that ground he has below he should be taller than the one from the core set, making it harder for him to get cover and easier to see through some terrain while throwing his lightsaber

Cover is determined before the game starts. He's a trooper. But yes, his height will make him more target-able.