Sign in to follow this  
Schu81

Feelings about the new Wave

Hello everyone!

Honestly, there have been times, in which just could not wait for a new XWing Wave to finally be available at the shops. And yes, I have spent thousands of dollars on this game by now.

But today.. I feel like... the new ships are not interesting to me. I don't like the factions and there doesn't seem to be any stuff for me in the packages.

I am not even sure if I am going to buy any ships of the upcoming wave. That feels strange to me, as I usually bought any ship in XWing 1.0, as long as there was at least one good new card in it.

I am a Rebel player for the most part. My second faction is Resistance.

Should I get any of the upcoming ships? Is there anything of use for me? :) Please let me know.

2 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

Should I get any of the upcoming ships? Is there anything of use for me? :) Please let me know.

Assuming you are willing to wait one more wave into wave 4? Nope. That spare parts canister looks pretty neat for your t70s or maybe t65. The resistance transport has it coming in wave 4 though.

The other stuff all looks to be reprints of existing content or faction locked elements to the prequel factions. 

For what it’s worth, I’m in the same boat. Different factions of choice, but same idea. I’m just not hyped to buy the new toys this time, and that feels really bizarre for someone who bought all 3 wave 1 conversion kits and then the first order kit too. 

Edited by ScummyRebel

...no? I mean, there's no Rebel or Resistance ships coming in the wave, so you might as well just wait till the one after for the new Resistance ship. Unless an ARC in a different scheme is appealing, and you have a spare dial and cardboard from conversion kits.

1 minute ago, ScummyRebel said:

Assuming you are willing to wait one more wave into wave 4? Nope. That spare parts canister looks pretty neat for your t70s or maybe t65. The resistance transport has it coming in wave 4 though.

The other stuff all looks to be reprints of existing content or faction locked elements to the prequel factions. 

Yes, I still love XWing, that's for sure. It's my favorite game.

So, I am looking forward to the spare parts canisters ;)

As a Scum player myself, a new paint job on a Z-95 does nothing for me(especially since it doesn’t match the black sun alternate paint scheme from 1.0 which was black and white)

But it’s understandable considering its a faction release wave, if they don’t focus on the new factions, there won’t be enough variety for varied lists to show up.

I am tremendously excited for the prequels factions. They seem like they'll be a lot of fun to build lists and play with. And the wave has new ARCs! 

So far all the new upgrades are specific to the new factions. "Hate" so far seems the only thing usable outside these new factions but it is already available in another faction and doesn't really seem a Rebel or Resistance card. (Missed the aforementioned spare parts canister.) 

I wouldn't sweat not wanting anything. I think that part of the addition of more factions in 2nd Ed. is making it easier for guys to take a wave off and not feel like they're falling behind. They'd likely rather guys skip a wave than get overwhelmed with trying to keep up and leave entirely. I think this is also the idea with telling us about Wave IV before III is even out. 

Edited by Frimmel

Just now, Schu81 said:

Yes, I still love XWing, that's for sure. It's my favorite game.

So, I am looking forward to the spare parts canisters ;)

Oh yeah, I really like the game too. I don’t know how I compare between xwing and legion because they’re both so good - I give my Filthy Casuals gaming group the edge so xwing, but I really like the hobbying aspects of Legion.

I don’t know how good spare parts would be on a T65 like Wedge, but I’d like the chance to try it sometime for the funsies. I just have no resistance ships and that makes it harder to justify. 

Where I start to get a little grouchy is that all the new toys for wave 3 AND 4 are outside my chosen factions - I don’t need any more reprints of the 1.0 ships that are coming. That’s just me being salty though, I’m sure something will come along. 

11 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

Hello everyone!

Honestly, there have been times, in which just could not wait for a new XWing Wave to finally be available at the shops. And yes, I have spent thousands of dollars on this game by now.

But today.. I feel like... the new ships are not interesting to me. I don't like the factions and there doesn't seem to be any stuff for me in the packages.

I am not even sure if I am going to buy any ships of the upcoming wave. That feels strange to me, as I usually bought any ship in XWing 1.0, as long as there was at least one good new card in it.

So why is this a bad thing?

1 minute ago, feltipern1 said:

So why is this a bad thing? 

It's not necessarily a bad thing. That depends, if you like getting new stuff or not ;)

I personally enjoy getting new stuff for my ships though.

It's always great, when you can make a good ship even better with a cool new upgrade card. That's what I have always loved doing in XWing during the 1.0 waves.

Just now, Schu81 said:

It's not necessarily a bad thing. That depends, if you like getting new stuff or not ;)

I personally enjoy getting new stuff for my ships though.

It's always great, when you can make a good ship even better with a cool new upgrade card. That's what I have always loved doing in XWing during the 1.0 waves.

I get that, but I'm much more in the camp of "if I don't see anything I want in the wave, I'm fine not to buy it".

I mean, any time I don’t have to buy xwing ships means that I have money for the new Legion hotness.... curses. Ffg has got me either way! 

:) 

Honestly — I really like the shenanigans from the Infiltrator, but I don’t know if I like the droids enough to make a commitment. 

23 minutes ago, Schu81 said:

Hello everyone!

This is where 2nd edition shines the hardest in terms of purchasing: nothing you aren't interested in? You don't have to buy it and you can continue playing with your pre-existing stuff, which is not neutered or left in the dust by new releases. Compare that to 1st edition, where many people bought cross-factionally on an expensive and regular basis just to optimize a list that needed 1 or 2 cards from the current wave. And often if you flew those things but did not pick up the new expansions, you were automatically at a disadvantage because as soon as a new FAQ would drop or an article revealed (such that Vassal can immediately play with the stuff) the meta would instantly solve. Case in point, compare upgrade diversity (or even the lack of equipping upgrades!) now with that of 1st edition. Further making the point that if you aren't interested you aren't left behind, compare card availability between 1st and 2nd edition. The worse complaints we get nowadays are Moldy Crow being only in the rebel box!

1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

This is where 2nd edition shines the hardest in terms of purchasing: nothing you aren't interested in? You don't have to buy it and you can continue playing with your pre-existing stuff, which is not neutered or left in the dust by new releases.  

For now. I’m a little worried starting with wave 4 since it’s the first wave I see lots of new cards in that don’t look tied to a faction, and none of them are in my old factions reprints 

I've been on the "mostly just wait for sales before buying new stuff" team for a while, even before 2.0 came out.  I'll grab anything that really interests me, but most of my recent collection has been from huge black friday deals (Heroes of the Resistance is somehow a lot more palatable at $7, who'd have guessed).  No offense to the product, it's just hard to keep up with it all.

The only actual new 2.0 expansion I have is Lando's Falcon from the last black friday sale, and I'm still missing maybe 5 or 6 1.0 expansions plus the c-roc.  I got mostly caught up with resistance/FO at that time as well and just last week grabbed their conversion kits, just need an RZ-2 and maybe a resistance bomber if I find a decent price.

basically, it's okay not to have to buy everything all the time :^)

Yeah unless you plan on jumping into one or both of the prequel factions, there isn't much for long time players in wave 3. Some Scum and Imp players will of course pick up some strikers and z-95's, but everyone else is probably better off saving for wave 4. I'm the type of person who is very much against buying expansions for a single card, so yeah even though there are a couple cards your factions might want I'd recommend just waiting a bit longer for that resistance transport. looks like it will have the generics from wave 3 in addition to everything else.

1 hour ago, player3679152 said:

Oh, huh. I didn't know. That's pretty cool.

Ship has the exact same name, dial is the exact same functionally. 👍

Works between the Rebel TIE and the Empire’s TIE/ln, doesn’t work for the Mining Guild TIE or between various YT-1300’s because those all have slightly different dials and different names to them (e.g. “modified”)

1 hour ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I'm the type of person who is very much against buying expansions for a single card

Yeah, dont buy something for one card like Biohex Codes then have it be the only card not hyperspace legal.

I for one am super excited about Wave III, though a little less so when I learned that the Naboo Starfighter doesn't come until Wave IV :(

I'm really hoping the points work for 4 Jedi Starfighters, each with a configuration. If so I doubt we'll be able to run named Knights, but I think 4 scrub knights would still be good. Or maybe 2 knights and 3 Naboo Starfighters.

Edited by knute

I'm really looking forward to Wave III, but IV is a bit of a shrug for me. The N-1 looks fun, as does the Hyena, but I'm not likely to pick up CIS anytime soon, I barely play Resistance (and the transport is hideous) and the rest is just ships I already own.