ScummyRebel

Anyone going to Celebration? (Exclusive Sculpt)

What I wish is that this con exclusive was available in the FFG store during the Con, then was "no longer available". I know some other vendors do that... Although, one vendor does have those limited edition figures on sale once a year while supplies last.

2 hours ago, FSD said:

While I almost started another thread for this question, I really did not want to see "another" thread on the main page about this issue so I'll pose this question here:

Would people feel the same if it was a Trooper expansion rather than a Commander?

Personally, I initially thought, "Meh, it's just Vader. The one I have is perfectly fine and actually a nice looking mini".

Then the other night I was ruminating on this matter and thought, "What if it was an alternate sculpt Stormtrooper or Rebel Trooper expansion?" and I started to see how some people could be upset.  Now, I'm still not of the opinion that this a bad move on FFGs part but the thought of an expansion of Rebel troopers with some different poses and alien members that I might not be able to get my hands on did give me reason to pause.

Depends. Hoth Rebels? Maybe.....

Rebels with extra gravel? No. 

2 hours ago, FSD said:

While I almost started another thread for this question, I really did not want to see "another" thread on the main page about this issue so I'll pose this question here:

Would people feel the same if it was a Trooper expansion rather than a Commander?

Personally, I initially thought, "Meh, it's just Vader. The one I have is perfectly fine and actually a nice looking mini".

Then the other night I was ruminating on this matter and thought, "What if it was an alternate sculpt Stormtrooper or Rebel Trooper expansion?" and I started to see how some people could be upset.  Now, I'm still not of the opinion that this a bad move on FFGs part but the thought of an expansion of Rebel troopers with some different poses and alien members that I might not be able to get my hands on did give me reason to pause.

For me, as long as their profiles are similar and just in different poses then it would be ok.  If they included a prone guy or something like that I would be annoyed, I guess is the right word for it.  That goes for Vader as well as the thing that bothers me is that they changed the height of Vader, not that it is a different pose.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, jcmonson said:

For me, as long as their profiles are similar and just in different poses then it would be ok.  If they included a prone guy or something like that I would be annoyed, I guess is the right word for it.  That goes for Vader as well as the thing that bothers me is that they changed the height of Vader, not that it is a different pose.

Maybe look at it this way. Now we have insight into what is considered a reasonable modification! A slight height change like that has both advantages and disadvantages, too. 

On 3/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, Derrault said:

Ah, well when you put it that way?

Of course, I’m sure those crying foul on the backlash perfectly understand how being excluded from things only creates ire, no matter what the topic, that’s a core part of human nature: wanting to be included.

I wouldn’t say that I am crying foul on the backlash. I’m just talking about it. I don’t get why this was announced like a general FFG thing instead of being announced via Celebration channels. 

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

Maybe look at it this way. Now we have insight into what is considered a reasonable modification! A slight height change like that has both advantages and disadvantages, too. 

I see what you mean, but unless FFG releases actual guidelines on what slight means it could create problems as different people have different ideas on what slight is.  I guess I am uncomfortable with any advantage/disadvantage being locked behind a con or other special event. 

3 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The rocky base is almost half as tall as the Vader model standing on it. If that's FFG's idea of "slight," then I need a bunch of really thick cork for my kneeling snipers...😋

55 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

The rocky base is almost half as tall as the Vader model standing on it. If that's FFG's idea of "slight," then I need a bunch of really thick cork for my kneeling snipers...😋

Vader’s lack of innate ranged attack (and even with saber throw, it’s only Range 2) probably factors in. I’d be curious to see just how much the extra height undercuts his use of barricades though. 

I've always liked the idea of "Exclusive" miniatures/sculpts...it gives you insight to a specific model that could be your tabletop center piece. But for FFG to make it "Con Exclusive Only" harbors the felling "if your not here, too bad" attitude in my book. I live 97 miles from Chicago and could make it there in 2 hrs. most likely but after reviewing the website for Star Wars Celebration...again, right after this was announced from FFG...all tickets were sold out except Monday and the ticket price was $75 to get in! Other companies like Privateer Press, Steam Forge, Wyrd Games, War Cradle Studios ect. offer their exclusives online at the same time as the conventions there attending. Again, I'm not really throwing bad attitude to FFG for what their doing...I'm just a firm believer in the customer comes first motto...without us there is no company/game and being involved in this industry now for over 35 yrs. now and have spent so much money on the miniatures, dice games ect. I could have put one of my sons through and Ivy League school! I really get the concept of exclusive but that's why you post it during the Con only...if you get it cool...if not...then that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Posted (edited)

I almost wonder if there aren’t some supply line issues keeping them from making enough for anything less exclusive than this. Even for a con exclusive this does feel a bit odd. Or maybe I am just not used to how FFG does their limited edition items. Advertising it through normal channels is a bit pointless. 

Ruleswise it seems a bit hyperventilate-y to worry. We just say cover protects/blocks people or not. For precisely this kind of thing. 

Edited by TauntaunScout

3 hours ago, Star Builds said:

Funny to do all exclusive on the other side of the world once again.. guess only the states matter for ffg?

Maybe we should stop pouring money to their products in the side that doesn't matter... protest with something they will listen to.

I've posted it before and I'll post it again: why is it assumed that FFG made the decision for this model to be an exclusive to Celebration? Unless someone has intimate knowledge of the license agreement with Disney that allows FFG to produce Star Wars games and miniatures, then we can't know for certain that Disney isn't dictating that FFG has to provide Celebration with an exclusive Legion miniature. 

FFG needs the Star Wars license MUCH more than Disney needs FFG. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Star Builds said:

Funny to do all exclusive on the other side of the world once again.. guess only the states matter for ffg?

That’s pretty normal, for things to be more available in the same country as the company itself. You know how much fun Warhammer stuff I’ve missed out on because I live in America? Tons. 

Edited by TauntaunScout

On 3/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, TauntaunScout said:

That’s pretty normal, for things to be more available in the same country as the company itself. You know how much fun Warhammer stuff I’ve missed out on because I live in America? Tons. 

That doesnt  prove a point at all just confirms how dumb it is. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, TauntaunScout said:

Aren't the event-exclusive GW models available through their stores for a very limited time during the event?

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, TauntaunScout said:

I almost wonder if there aren’t some supply line issues keeping them from making enough for anything less exclusive than this. Even for a con exclusive this does feel a bit odd. Or maybe I am just not used to how FFG does their limited edition items. Advertising it through normal channels is a bit pointless. 

Ruleswise it seems a bit hyperventilate-y to worry. We just say cover protects/blocks people or not. For precisely this kind of thing. 

It might have lessened the issue for some if they'd made a limited run of them then gave con-attendees the first right to buy one per attendee and keep a handful more to offer online (plus any that remained unclaimed from the con). After that, remaining limited stock is sold online (either first come first served, or register interest and random selection after a closing date).

Less exclusive, more special/limited edition, but, everyone would have had at least a chance (no matter how small) at buying one and con attendees have a guaranteed option to buy one as a perk for going.

Edited by DwainDibbly

14 hours ago, costi said:

Aren't the event-exclusive GW models available through their stores for a very limited time during the event?

Nowadays they're typically available at several venues simultaneously for a short period. But sometimes Citadel Miniatures exclusives become  widelyavailable. The Female Catachan w/ Grenade Launcher, and the Female Commissar, were both later packaged in normal blisters and put on store shelves. The Bretonnian General which was a WFB starter box promotional model, was later available through the Skullz mail-order promotion. Etc.

But the French Games Day grail knight on foot is extremely rare... :(

4 hours ago, DwainDibbly said:

It might have lessened the issue for some if they'd made a limited run of them then gave con-attendees the first right to buy one per attendee and keep a handful more to offer online (plus any that remained unclaimed from the con). After that, remaining limited stock is sold online (either first come first served, or register interest and random selection after a closing date).

Less exclusive, more special/limited edition, but, everyone would have had at least a chance (no matter how small) at buying one and con attendees have a guaranteed option to buy one as a perk for going.

Again, this is predicated on FFG having any say in the availability of the model. If Disney says "Make an exclusive miniature for Celebration" you better believe FFG is going to make an exclusive miniature for Celebration, regardless of the reaction of fans. If FFG doesn't keep the license holder happy, then they can lose a SIGNIFICANT portion of the their product lines, and I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars games constituted a large percentage of their profits. 

52 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Again, this is predicated on FFG having any say in the availability of the model. If Disney says "Make an exclusive miniature for Celebration" you better believe FFG is going to make an exclusive miniature for Celebration, regardless of the reaction of fans. If FFG doesn't keep the license holder happy, then they can lose a SIGNIFICANT portion of the their product lines, and I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars games constituted a large percentage of their profits. 

Agreed - based on it isn’t a gaming convention but it’s a Star Wars event, I’m fairly certain Disney made an offer ffg could not refuse rather than ffg dreaming this up on their own.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I used the word "they" rather than FFG to allow for the fact it might be Disney "pulling the strings". I would not be at all surprised if that's the case, knowing people who have worked on projects with Disney and how much oversight they had of the projects. Whoever is ultimately in the driving seat on this decision though, I expect they will have been fully aware of the reaction exclusives would generate. They probably just deemed it more likely to be a net positive for their business than not.

I still think they're divisive and harm communities though, at least in the short term until people move on. Although as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't really bother me since I'm not too interested in buying alternative sculpts anyway. Just a shame to see decisions made that impact the community in this way, that could have been handled slightly differently, still provided attendees with perks and not generated much fuss with everyone else.

Edited by DwainDibbly