ScummyRebel

Anyone going to Celebration? (Exclusive Sculpt)

1 hour ago, UnitOmega said:

The international angle here is extra dumb. This is packaged as a promo for an event, which FFG has no control over - they don't decide where Star Wars Celebration is. They're also not going to sit out Star Wars Celebration out of protest for their international fanbase. They've had 3 in Europe an 1 in Japan, BTW over the course of doing this since about 2002. It's just not your year.

"Exclusive Merch" is bullet point two on Celebration's features on it's website, also.

If I may add to your comment, who's to say that producing exclusive merchandise for Celebrations isn't part of FFG's licensing agreement?

Additionally, a model like this might attract more players from the attendees who pick up the sculpt because they like the appearance, buy it, and then research more about the game (probably unlikely, but it IS possible).

1 minute ago, Darkwinter said:

for all the people defending this practice - god knows why!!! It still doesn’t change the fact that the number of pissed of post here and on face book demonstrate that a portion of the fan base are annoyed. If you don’t mind, fine, good for you. However if you do mind it’s a personal preference you are allowed to have. This company is supposed to be about making money by selling models to people who want to collect and play with them. Actively preventing your fan base from buying models almost certainly limits your scope of sales and annoys your a proportion of your customer base. End of the world it is not, factually this practice pisses people off. This game is small and is supported by a dedicated customer base. It’s a bad move. 

They aren't preventing you from buying anything.   If you want one, go buy a celebration ticket. 

14 minutes ago, ToySoldierFan said:

I will contend that if it's silly to feel frustrated at not being offered an exclusive sculpt...

...that it's even sillier to be upset at a person who feels frustrated at not being offered an exclusive sculpt.   Trust me, I am just as perplexed at your reaction as you were at mine.

So in other words: "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

I wouldn't mind so much if they also sold them online for a limited period - the duration of the event - and that way a lot more people could get ahold of it.

What irks me more is that the vast majority of them are probably going to end up scalped on Ebay anyway. 

I don't get the complaining about an exclusive reskin of a mini. Sure it's a great looking piece and I certainly wouldn't mind having it, but I'm not going to be upset that I can't get it. I guarantee that this will be available from scalpers for probably too much within a week of the convention. As far as I'm aware being able to pick up limited edition items has always been a fair pull to go to a con in the first place. It most certainly has been for as long as I've been around.

Incredible mini. Absolutely no hope for me though living in Ireland. Not pissed off in the slightest, exclusive items aren't the end of the world.  The first thing I actually got excited for was seeing alternate sculpts are going to be a thing, even if they aren't widely available. 

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

If I may add to your comment, who's to say that producing exclusive merchandise for Celebrations isn't part of FFG's licensing agreement?

Additionally, a model like this might attract more players from the attendees who pick up the sculpt because they like the appearance, buy it, and then research more about the game (probably unlikely, but it IS possible).

They're doing this with an exclusive X-Wing paint job for Adepticon and alternate art stuff has been part of FFG's convention / tournament presence for a while now. Not saying it's impossible that there's something additional in place for Celebration specifically since I have no way of knowing, but the only new thing about this Vader is that's it's a sculpt and not cardboard.

The reactions here are... surprising? FFG does Arkham Horror loot at Arkham Nights. They have swag that they only give out at tournaments, so not only do you have to pay to travel to a spot, but you have to pay to play, and you have to be good if you want the "best" stuff. The ire stemming from convention specific loot, which has been a thing for as long as there have been conventions, is a little weird.

Oh ****... my favourite character ever in one of my favourite hobbies...and can't even touch it!

If just a good heart that will go to the celebration could take one for me...🙄

Ok no jokes.. it is possible? I want this ******* vader haha

3 minutes ago, GalacticFister said:

I certainly hope they don't ever release an official exclusive miniature that actually provides a gameplay benefit (i.e. being shorter or smaller than the standard miniature).

The sad fact is, Vader desperately needs a buff. They should have put the buffs in this pack and then had a world-wide release 1 month later.

3 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

They aren't preventing you from buying anything.   If you want one, go buy a celebration ticket. 

I don’t think you understand the context of the argument. Not everybody who plays Star Wars legion lives in the us and can pay to go to a convention. You seem to not understand that a proportion of the fan base evidenced through negative reaction is unhappy about this. It is a factual argument. 

1 hour ago, SirCormac said:

I could make it on the Monday since I live near Chicago, but what are the odds they will still have Vader in stock on the last day?

I hear you. I’m in the same boat. I’m a collector more than a player and I would have gladly paid the $85 to attend before all the tickets were sold out if I had known of this before hand. I only live 2 hours away. 😔Got to get em all Mini-Mon!

Edited by Boomer_J
Got to get em all Mini-Mon